Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock brake pads vs others

Hi.
I'm a big fan of OEM brake pads. I like the pedal feel and bite they offer.
What I hate is the amount of dust they produce. So I'm looking for brake pads that are similar/better in terms of performance and produce way less brake dust.

Any options?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im currently running the Axxis/centric pads sold on TireRack. I belive theyre semi-metallic.

You definitely lose initial bite and overall braking performance. But theyre quieter and way less dusty. My factory pads lasted maybe 25k, im at 54k and no replacement required yet.

I drive aggressively and even do a few canyon runs every once in a while. The pads perform alright. You get used to the change.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
weirdo911
Thread Starter #3
Im currently running the Axxis/centric pads sold on TireRack. I belive theyre semi-metallic.

I just checked their website and did not find these. Can you share a link when you get chance?

Thanks!

There are other posts on this. I changed my front brake pads out to Ceramic ones at 1K miles. The excessive dust and extra hot summer climate where I live the dust was coagulating on the front wheels and clinging to it like glue globs. I had to scrub it off almost every single day. I tried waxing the wheels, nothing prevented the glue gobs of brake dust. I was worried about scratching the wheels. There was so much dust it was just caking on the wheels, calipers, etc.- I had never seen that much dust on wheels in my 40 years of working on cars and trucks. I normally would never change out brand new brake pads.

I bought them at AutoZone. They were special order only, not stocked. Took me 20 minutes to swap the pads out, longer to clean the calipers from the OEM dust. The new Ceramic pads are perfect- I notice no difference in braking and there's almost no dust now. I kept the back ones OEM and no issues with excessive dust.

What make and model are they? A link would be great. Thanks.

Good question- I don't remember the make and model. I do remember finding Ceramic pads was not easy- most readily available pads aftermarket at the local parts stores were semi-metallic- including at NAPA. The NAPA pads according to the counter guy were "Ceramic" but when he showed them to me they were black and when I rubbed my finger on them, the residue was black, like the OEM pads so I did not get them. The new Ceramic pads generate a white dust and when I rubbed my finger on them, no residue.

OP
weirdo911
Thread Starter #9
Sure. I'll just stop by Autoparts and see what options I have. Thanks a lot.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If you like OEM, they do have Motorcraft in ceramic, they come on FiST's that come with all season tires from the factory, you can check Rock Auto for lots of options including multiple ceramic... But EBC Red Stuff are literally only a few bucks more than the OEM ceramic and they are also ceramic that actually stop a little better than the OEM dusty ones without the dust.

OP
weirdo911
Thread Starter #11
If you like OEM, they do have Motorcraft in ceramic, they come on FiST's that come with all season tires from the factory, you can check Rock Auto for lots of options including multiple ceramic... But EBC Red Stuff are literally only a few bucks more than the OEM ceramic and they are also ceramic that actually stop a little better than the OEM dusty ones without the dust.
Sounds promising. I'll definitely take a look. Thanks for your response.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im picking those Motorcraft pads next. Less dust and OEM quality.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Im picking those Motorcraft pads next. Less dust and OEM quality.
Absolutely.... and RockAuto doesn't have the best price on those, take the part numbers and put them into Tasca for likely a better deal. Looks like BRF1507 for rear, and BRF1508 for the front for the Motorcraft ceramics... Edit: Annnnd i was wrong, looks like RockAuto does have the best prices that I can find... at $81 for the fronts I'd consider the EBC Red stuff ceramics for not much more at all.

Jerickson88

I put some Duralast Semi Metallics on about 5k miles ago. I canā€™t tell the difference. Iā€™m sure there is, but none that I can tell.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi.
I'm a big fan of OEM brake pads. I like the pedal feel and bite they offer.
What I hate is the amount of dust they produce. So I'm looking for brake pads that are similar/better in terms of performance and produce way less brake dust.

Any options?

Thanks in advance.

Carbotech Bobcat 1521 pads....Never looked back...dust in minimal....stopping power without the Jerkiness of the stock pads! Great choice.. A little pricey but totally worth it in the end.....IMO....[party]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This is Incorrect Danbfree....I have a 15' & A/s Tires and it did not come with ceramics in any shape or form. I am the only owner since like 200 miles on the odometer. [biggrin] It now has Carbotech 1521 bobcat pads....which are exceptional!

Now that I remember I think the front Ceramic pads I bought from Autozone were Duralast- and they were like $65. They had the best price for Ceramic pads I could find.