Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating Question

SrsBsns

I took my '15 FiST out to the mountain roads and did some hard driving.

I was running the Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune (without an IC) but was monitoring charge temps, oil temp and coolant temp with the AP.

Everything was fine until it wasn't. The idiot temp gauge went from dead center to maxed out and I immediately pulled over. Steam was coming out from behind the block.

I let the car cool down for 15-30 minutes and then drove down the mountain. I hadn't made it up that far before the temps jumped and I mostly had it in neutral while cruising down.

At the bottom of the mountain, the CEL came on as the temp again jumped from center to max. The car went into limp mode. I pulled over and had the car towed home.

I took it into the dealership and they told me that it was the hose that connects the reservoir to the back of the block... one of the clamps broke and that's where my problem was. The motor is fine.

The part is H1BZ-8063-C.

The dealership said that this wouldn't be covered under warranty since it's not a mechanical part. It's not that expensive, but what would cause this hose to break? I'm worried that there are bigger problems that the dealer isn't finding. They made it sound like it's just something that happens but in my experience, I've never heard of hoses like that failing for no reason. The car has 41K on it and has been taken care of.

Is there anything else I can ask the dealer to check while they still have the car? I'm going to ask them to do a compression test just to be sure.

Can't find right now, but thought the hose, reservoir and sensor were all replaced as part of the over heating recall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #4
Can't find right now, but thought the hose, reservoir and sensor were all replaced as part of the over heating recall.

That's interesting... I didn't even think about that. I'm not sure that the PO ever had anything done via the recall.

I went onto the Ford site and entered my VIN but it didn't bring anything back. Is there any other way to verify the parts/my coverage?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I took my '15 FiST out to the mountain roads and did some hard driving.

I was running the Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune (without an IC) but was monitoring charge temps, oil temp and coolant temp with the AP.

Everything was fine until it wasn't. The idiot temp gauge went from dead center to maxed out and I immediately pulled over. Steam was coming out from behind the block.

I let the car cool down for 15-30 minutes and then drove down the mountain. I hadn't made it up that far before the temps jumped and I mostly had it in neutral while cruising down.

At the bottom of the mountain, the CEL came on as the temp again jumped from center to max. The car went into limp mode. I pulled over and had the car towed home.

I took it into the dealership and they told me that it was the hose that connects the reservoir to the back of the block... one of the clamps broke and that's where my problem was. The motor is fine.

The part is H1BZ-8063-C.

The dealership said that this wouldn't be covered under warranty since it's not a mechanical part. It's not that expensive, but what would cause this hose to break? I'm worried that there are bigger problems that the dealer isn't finding. They made it sound like it's just something that happens but in my experience, I've never heard of hoses like that failing for no reason. The car has 41K on it and has been taken care of.

Is there anything else I can ask the dealer to check while they still have the car? I'm going to ask them to do a compression test just to be sure.
The FiSTs are notorious for overheating. Your situation exacerbated its "natural tendency". I put a Mitsumoto radiator and oil cooler to deal with the overheating on a track in South Texas weather.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #6
Wait - what? There was an 'overheating recall'?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...leaks-vehicles-recalled-fire-risk/1001090001/

From the article:
DETROIT — Ford says it will repair any coolant leaks that might be found in more than 200,000 recalled vehicles that are at risk of catching fire.

The repairs, detailed in company documents posted by U.S. safety regulators in December, come 10 months after the company said it would only install a coolant level sensor "with supporting hardware and software."

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #7
The FiSTs are notorious for overheating. Your situation exacerbated its "natural tendency". I put a Mitsumoto radiator and oil cooler to deal with the overheating on a track in South Texas weather.
Yeah, I've seen a few threads on overheating, but I've never seen a hose like this fail. I've seen thermostats and WP's fail... I've seen the rad hoses crack after they get old, but never a reservoir hose clamp.

It just makes me really worried because I try to stay on top of maintenance, but would never even really have thought to check or replace that hose... which could have definitely led to a blown motor. It makes me wonder what else I need to worry about.

Yep. Had four different First engines destroy themselves by heat until I had Ford buy my second FiST back...now I'm in a 18 FoST....mine were all internal, never a lick of coolant seen, just whenever the ambient temperature rose above 90 and ya dipped into the turbo it would spoke and limp mode..four different engines all with cylinder three or four head gaskets and heads trashed....they wouldn't even consider the possibility that it was radiator related...I know it was from an under designed cooling system and have data that I offered to give to Ford with my buy-back....no interest...I do know that the engineers in Dearborn have it and have been testing it as I see them driving around town in it still. Had a Mitsu radiator on my list of things to do but didn't want to touch it and be accused of altering the cooling in such a way that the engine problem became my "fault"

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yep. Had four different First engines destroy themselves by heat until I had Ford buy my second FiST back...now I'm in a 18 FoST....mine were all internal, never a lick of coolant seen, just whenever the ambient temperature rose above 90 and ya dipped into the turbo it would spoke and limp mode..four different engines all with cylinder three or four head gaskets and heads trashed....they wouldn't even consider the possibility that it was radiator related...I know it was from an under designed cooling system and have data that I offered to give to Ford with my buy-back....no interest...I do know that the engineers in Dearborn have it and have been testing it as I see them driving around town in it still. Had a Mitsu radiator on my list of things to do but didn't want to touch it and be accused of altering the cooling in such a way that the engine problem became my "fault"

Four, eh? I didn't want to take chances and put both the radiator and the cooler. Seems that the radiator alone may have worked, but for a relatively small incremental cost increase, I can now focus on the course rather than the temperature gauge, no matter how hot the weather is.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...leaks-vehicles-recalled-fire-risk/1001090001/

From the article:
DETROIT — Ford says it will repair any coolant leaks that might be found in more than 200,000 recalled vehicles that are at risk of catching fire.

The repairs, detailed in company documents posted by U.S. safety regulators in December, come 10 months after the company said it would only install a coolant level sensor "with supporting hardware and software."
So - USA Today and such suggest that Ford has issued a recall that covers my car (2015 FiST). HOWEVER, just like you - when I go to the Ford owner's site or call the dealer, no recall. I wonder what's going on: it doesn't look like this is a "non-US" recall, and yet...

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #11
So - USA Today and such suggest that Ford has issued a recall that covers my car (2015 FiST). HOWEVER, just like you - when I go to the Ford owner's site or call the dealer, no recall. I wonder what's going on: it doesn't look like this is a "non-US" recall, and yet...
This Ford site has better information: https://ford.oemdtc.com/2754/safety...vel-sensor-system-installation-2013-2015-ford

Looks like the recall was only applied to the following ST's:

Year: 2014-2015
Plant: Cuautitlan
Build Date: 1/22/13-5/27/14

I'm not sure about my build date/plant. She's at the dealer now getting that hose installed, so I'll need to check the build date when I get her back.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
This Ford site has better information: https://ford.oemdtc.com/2754/safety...vel-sensor-system-installation-2013-2015-ford

Looks like the recall was only applied to the following ST's:

Year: 2014-2015
Plant: Cuautitlan
Build Date: 1/22/13-5/27/14

I'm not sure about my build date/plant. She's at the dealer now getting that hose installed, so I'll need to check the build date when I get her back.
Mine must have been built later in the year then. Odd that they may have switched the material of construction for the hose, if that's why it's not in the recall.

What's more annoying is that the "service advisor" at the Ford dealership has never heard about ANY FiST recalls.

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #13
I feel like "service advisor" is on par with "sandwich artist"

My service advisor more or less told me that "sometimes it be like that" when talking about the hose that went bad and nearly led to a blown motor.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I feel like "service advisor" is on par with "sandwich artist"

My service advisor more or less told me that "sometimes it be like that" when talking about the hose that went bad and nearly led to a blown motor.
I believe that's what on his LinkedIn profile as a previous job. Before that, he was a sanitation engineer. Indeed, the laissez faire attitude at many Ford dealership stems from the F. Gump's maxim that "shit happens".

I had the same thing happen to me. It's that rubber elbow at the end of the hard black plastic tube that runs round the front of the engine from the coolant expansion tank and goes past the batter and round to the back of the engine. It joins the hard black plastic tube to a metal tube.

I found that mine had burst a hole in it and it looked like it had been left too short from factory as it was deformed in a way that it had been tugged at for a long period add excessive heat and all that and the rubber tube just failed. Was very perished and I will have to find it and post some pictures.

Mine is a 2014 FiST and I have been trying to find others with same fault!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

I got the car taken home on a truck and found the leak then replaced the hose.

I was parked up with engine running waiting for pizza on a Friday night when it all happened.

I just went to an auto shop and bought 4 small hose clamps and a rubber tube twice the length of the original one and it's never been touched ever since.

This happened at about 68k kilometers and was fully stock.

At 71k kilometers I found the coolant expansion tank leaking so had to replace that.

Only mod I have is an oil catch can.

I know other Fiesta ST's will be doing this at some stage of their life.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #17
Just to close the loop on this one...

I got the car back from the dealer. It was the hose running from the reservoir to the back of the block. (I'll edit this and post the part # later)

Best explanation I got from the dealer was that "sometimes it be like that."

I believe that this hose would be covered under the previous recall, but my car has a newer build date for a 2015 which means that it wasn't covered.

Additionally, I have the 60K powertrain warranty... which I was told would not have helped me at all if damage was done to the motor due to the overheating as the hose is not a mechanical part.

I would recommend at least examining the hose on your FiST if you're able, and replacing it as preventative maintenance if you have a '14 or '15 that wasn't covered by the recall. My problems could have been MUCH worse if the HG blew if there were any damage caused by overheating.

It sucks because at this point, I'd like to upgrade the radiator and hosing, but I'm scared that they'll void any warranty if it overheats.

It sucks because at this point, I'd like to upgrade the radiator and hosing, but I'm scared that they'll void any warranty if it overheats.
There is no doubt about that. Of course, you can just shrug and do what I did. I bought a new 2017 in the summer of 2017 and after worrying about my warranty for about a month, I installed a Stratified E30 tune and voided my 5 year, 60,000 mile engine warranty about 30 days into ownership. [:D]

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #19
There is no doubt about that. Of course, you can just shrug and do what I did. I bought a new 2017 in the summer of 2017 and after worrying about my warranty for about a month, I installed a Stratified E30 tune and voided my 5 year, 60,000 mile engine warranty about 30 days into ownership. [:D]
You could just uninstall the AP and go back to stock, couldn't you?

I had a few mods done but went back to stock (minus the RMM, suspension and cat-back) before bringing it in to the dealer. I was running a Cobb OTS tune with an upgraded filter and symposer delete.

The dealer mentioned that it would cost ~5K for them to replace a motor. I've seen used ones on ebay for ~1.5K. Based on either of these, I don't plan on getting crazy with any mods until well after the warranty expires.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^IF the dealer wants to get very draconian, they CAN check and see that the car was tuned at some point with the Ford scan tool by reading the counter built into the ECM, even if one unloads their aftermarket tune. [:(]

I'm not sure if Ford requires that this be done before honoring any power train warranty work at all (or if it is required only for certain, very costly levels of replacement warranty work, like a whole short/long block, or head) or not, or whether it is up to the individual dealer. [dunno]

Ford Community Posts