Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cant lock up rears with e-brake?

I was driving/hooning around in the rain last night on some empty streets when I tried to do a sliding turn with the e-brake, but it seemed like the rears didnt really lock up?

I tried to do a 180*, and again the rears would not lock... The brake seems to hold when I park.

What am i missing?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
How about not driving like a lunatic?

OP
RubenZZZ

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
It's a Fiesta... If you no wanted to boring driving experience take it on the track.
Holy engrish.... I left out words whilst looking for a gif.

Planning to hit up some auto-x action later in the year.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Raytech

It does not work as an emergency brake. I tried mine on snow and it locked then let go. Then i tried an emergency stop. Barely slowed me in neutral. My pads are still within spec. Pathetic. It is barely a parking brake. It definitely is not an emergency brake.

Peterson

Premium Account
It does not work as an emergency brake. I tried mine on snow and it locked then let go. Then i tried an emergency stop. Barely slowed me in neutral. My pads are still within spec. Pathetic. It is barely a parking brake. It definitely is not an emergency brake.
How old is your car? When was the last time you adjusted your parking brake?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Prior car with drum brakes had automatic adjusters inside the drum.

People would often screw-up the factory calibration by adjusting the cable at the lever when the sole problem was with the automatic adjusters.

Messing with that cable basically condemned that owner (and subsequent owners) into having to periodically fiddle with the e-brake for the life of the vehicle; even after having fixed the adjuster(s).

Lesson is, take the time to understand how the system works before messing with it.

Peterson

Premium Account
Prior car with drum brakes had automatic adjusters inside the drum.

People would often screw-up the factory calibration by adjusting the cable at the lever when the sole problem was with the automatic adjusters.

Messing with that cable basically condemned that owner (and subsequent owners) into having to periodically fiddle with the e-brake for the life of the vehicle; even after having fixed the adjuster(s).

Lesson is, take the time to understand how the system works before messing with it.
There’s a shop manual procedure for adjusting the parking brake. It’s not hard. Time consuming because you need to get above the exhaust and take the heat shield off.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@Peterson - Looking at the diagram that @koozy posted, that would be at the balancer. Keep in mind that for the typical system with automated adjusters, that procedure is only necessary after having replaced the cables. Otherwise those adjustment points are not to be messed with.

What I don't know is, whether or not we have automated adjustment for the parking brake system in our disc brakes. I would be surprised if we didn't. I'll have to remember to take a closer look, next time I take the wheels off.

1611286469450.png