Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What brace is this?

Hey guys, I just picked up a used set of Bilstein coilovers off of Craigslist. Guy chucked in some sort of brace for free that he was given by the previous owner of his car. He said he wasn't sure what it was for but that it might be a rear torsion bar.

[scratch] I've searched online for one similar but haven't found anything. It doesn't line up with the holes in the rear axle so I'm not sure if it's some kind of custom thing the guy made or if it's just off something else and the guy was lying.

Any help would be appreciated.

0117191744.jpg

Attachments

I’m assuming this is a trunk brace? If so, it looks like a one off to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
Thanks guys, I guess it is a TB brace that has seen better days. It's been bent out of shape pretty badly. I was able to stand on it and get it to straighten out slightly. I'm not sure if it's worth using in it's current state.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks guys, I guess it is a TB brace that has seen better days. It's been bent out of shape pretty badly. I was able to stand on it and get it to straighten out slightly. I'm not sure if it's worth using in it's current state.
If I was you....I'd blast that old paint off or just re-prime it and paint it as is and get some new nuts and bolts and install that piece of free performance bracing! [wrenchin] DON'T THROW IT AWAY!

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I guess TB should've used chromoly (like Pierce) instead of mild steel. [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
I personally wouldn't put it on if it can't be bent straight to align perfectly with the mounting holes. With it bent, there is potential preload that would be transferred to the twist beam. Also if it's easily bendable one has to wonder how effective it is trying to hold a twist beam together from flexing. There's probably some reduction, but a better material should have been chosen and tubular as opposed to a flat bar.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I personally wouldn't put it on if it can't be bent straight to align perfectly with the mounting holes. With it bent, there is potential preload that would be transferred to the twist beam. Also if it's easily bendable one has to wonder how effective it is trying to hold a twist beam together from flexing. There's probably some reduction, but a better material should have been chosen and tubular as opposed to a flat bar.
agree 100%
I'd have concerns why it's bent and would not ever install anything bent on my suspension intentionally

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
Yeah it's incredibly cheesy how easily it bends. Apparently it was on a track car but even still. It looks like it ended up buckling due to stress. I guess it was made out of dog food tin cans.

I might just chuck it in the bin and order a new one.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It probably bent in storage. It would not bend that way from normal use. If you order new, get Pierce not TB

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk