Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

M2 flare kit - advice for wheel fitment

all good info gentleman, Maestro I will be following this thread , I have the same goal. any link to see those flares?

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
all good info gentleman, Maestro I will be following this thread , I have the same goal. any link to see those flares?
They are on Whoosh's web site. Just search for M2 flares. Some people have been waiting since the last summer. M2 doesn't actually make their flares, they provide the molds to the fabricator. So, I don't really know what the holdup is. It's possible that the manufacturer is waiting for enough orders to have a run; it's equally likely that M2 will then wait to fill a container to ship to the US.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Understood. They provide explanations; this is from their site:

"Wheel width will effect the tire width by 1/10" on each side for ever 1/2" change in wheel width. This is a small concern unless you plan on running wheel widths that are well outside the manufacturer's recommended range. If you plan on stretching the tires, or running wheel widths that are wider than the width of the tire then you will need to keep in mind that the visualizer is showing tire position not wheel position. In this case the wheel may be closer/further than the calculated distances of key measurements."
Actually, that's not what I was referring to. Check out the dimensions for various tires in a given size; they can differ by quite a bit. A 205/40x17 of one make/model can have very different dimensions than the same spec. 215/40x17 from a different make/model.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
it's equally likely that M2 will then wait to fill a container to ship to the US.
Ron has said that this is the precise issue. Or, rather, the shipper is/was waiting to fill a container. I believe that the shipment is en route but, still, without an ETA.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
Ron has said that this is the precise issue. Or, rather, the shipper is/was waiting to fill a container. I believe that the shipment is en route but, still, without an ETA.
I asked M2 on their FB site - so, they haven't even received the flares from the fabricator.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #26
Actually, that's not what I was referring to. Check out the dimensions for various tires in a given size; they can differ by quite a bit. A 205/40x17 of one make/model can have very different dimensions than the same spec. 215/40x17 from a different make/model.
Hmm... How much different? That'd make the sizes of the tires meaningless. I have bought tires from a bunch of makers and as long as the stated size was the same, I haven't experienced any problems.

Heck, I'll go to the garage and start measuring.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hmm... How much different? That'd make the sizes of the tires meaningless. I have bought tires from a bunch of makers and as long as the stated size was the same, I haven't experienced any problems.
Go to TireRack.com or the manufacturers' web sites. You can find true dimensions there. The spec'ed size gets you in the ballpark but if you're just barely fitting one make/tire may rub and another may not.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
So - change of plans. Considering that I can’t get an answer from @M2Motoring when they may be shipping the flares and that some people have been waiting since last summer, I have cancelled the order. Instead, I am going with kit that [MENTION=9462]FuryMotoring[/MENTION] has. Will just ship the car to Cali and have Geoff install the flares and the Klutch ML7 wheels. 245mm tires should fit with no problem.

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So - change of plans. Considering that I can’t get an answer from @M2Motoring when they may be shipping the flares and that some people have been waiting since last summer, I have cancelled the order. Instead, I am going with kit that @FuryMotorsports has. Will just ship the car to Cali and have Geoff install the flares and the Klutch ML7 wheels. 245mm tires should fit with no problem.
And therein lies the problem with the false economy of oversees outsourcing. Unless you want to keep a bunch of inventory on hand to buffer against stockout, the super long and unreliable supply chain means that, sooner or later, you're going to run out of stock and stay that way long enough to lose customers. To be fair, the quality issues aren't what they used to be, but most of my customers in the US and EU are moving away from their Chinese providers in favor of slightly more expensive western sources and finding a net gain with more reliable supply chains. As for me, time to pull the trigger on the SS Tuning flares.

OP
maestromaestro

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
And therein lies the problem with the false economy of oversees outsourcing. Unless you want to keep a bunch of inventory on hand to buffer against stockout, the super long and unreliable supply chain means that, sooner or later, you're going to run out of stock and stay that way long enough to lose customers. To be fair, the quality issues aren't what they used to be, but most of my customers in the US and EU are moving away from their Chinese providers in favor of slightly more expensive western sources and finding a net gain with more reliable supply chains. As for me, time to pull the trigger on the SS Tuning flares.
These are valid points - having said this, my perception is that M2 treats this not as a business, but more of a hobby. They don't fabricate the flares as they don't want to be "exposed to toxic materials", and their relationship with the fabricator is such that they themselves can't get an answer as to when. But, they don't really seem to care much. Further, then there is a matter of filling out the shipping container to make it economical to move it across the pond. All of this doesn't produce the needed order volume - leading to a Catch 22 situation.

SS Tuning kit/flares looks appealing, I have had a glance. My challenge is that I don't have an installer that I could trust, and that tipped the scales to [MENTION=9462]FuryMotoring[/MENTION], as I won't have to spend any more time on figuring out the wheels that would fit my particular configuration. That's worth the price of installation to me. At the same time, the VM kit is going on the car as well. Maybe I'd get one of the SSTuning's steering wheels while the Euro is cheap enough...[like]

Then there is the R5 body kit - with the same caveat about the installers, and a rather extravagant price.

I must be getting senile as I clearly am going down the path of valuing the looks (I would not use the word "aesthetics") of the car, creating a 'boy ricer' and spending money that I know I wouldn't be able to recover if I sold. When everything is done, my FiST will look similar to the STBrawler (you can find the pics of that car by Googling).

Let me know if you have any questions about my @STbrawler build! Or if your looking to place an order for flares. wyatt@furymotoring.com or hit me up on Instagram. It’s @C6brawler now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro