Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mysterious Electrical Phenomenon with my 2014...

So this is what I got. Let me know if you have ever heard of this happening. My stereo just stopped turning on one day but all of the other functions and menus on the Sync Display worked, just no stereo and wouldn't even eject a CD. On day 3 the car wouldn't even start. All dash lights working but nothing else and the Sync display says "powering down to save battery". The car will not jump start. It's not the battery. A diagnostic tool says there is a drain somewhere on the system. The Ford dealer has come up with NO cause of this issue but after a week the car starts fine as if nothing was ever wrong. This same phenomenon happened about 6 months ago but that time the car jump started no problem and the issue disappeared. Anyone ever heard of something similar? I have to believe this has happened to someone else.

OP
P
Thread Starter #3
Can you fill me in on how you resolved it? Did you find a cause? Anything replaced?

I had a similar issue happen to me about a month ago minus the whole not starting thing. My radio/cd player/voice control completely stopped working but I could still select the other options (nav, settings, phone). It stayed like this until I pulled the fuse for the sync system to re-boot it. I haven't had the problem since (knock on wood).

koozy

3000 Post Club
Seems like a ford sync issue. There’s a field service advisory for 2014 models extending warranty for the apim module with ford sync.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Radio routinely does not shut off when i shut off the car. Its very odd i cannot change the station or adjust the volume. its just stuck. i have to pull the fuse and put it back in then all is well for another week or so. Also every time i get a call and use bluetooth with my iphone the radio does not come back on. I have never had the no start issue. if it was me i would try to disconnect the battery for a min to see if that resets it next time it happens.

I had something similar on my 2018. Ran fine.

Took it to the dealer. They rebooted the circuitry that controls audio, climate, synch, etc. This is a separate computer from the one that controls engine, steering, and so forth.

All has been fine since.

OP
P
Thread Starter #11
After a week and a half the car fixed itself and started no problem. I have no idea what troubleshooting might have occurred only that the car worked with no obvious issue located. Now I get to wait to get stranded somewhere at some random time in the future. [shameful]

djbillyz

Premium Account
I just had this happen to my 2016 FiST. Called a tow truck and the driver said most likely an issue with the Anti-Theft System. First time I've ever seen this happen. Maybe its the same issue you've seen. Remedy was to let the car sit, I waited about 30 minutes till the tow truck got to my location. He got in it and it started up no issues. So it almost as if it need to power down completely. My wife videoed the dash going nuts and I took a picture of the Sync 3 screen with the message it showed. Dash Message 03-24-2019.jpg

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt77o34jcq6kxt4/Dash%20Going%20Nuts%2003-24-2019.mov?dl=0&m=[/video] Any feedback is welcome!

Billy Z

I just had this happen to my 2016 FiST. Called a tow truck and the driver said most likely an issue with the Anti-Theft System. First time I've ever seen this happen. Maybe its the same issue you've seen. Remedy was to let the car sit, I waited about 30 minutes till the tow truck got to my location. He got in it and it started up no issues. So it almost as if it need to power down completely. My wife videoed the dash going nuts and I took a picture of the Sync 3 screen with the message it showed. View attachment 20136

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt77o34jcq6kxt4/Dash%20Going%20Nuts%2003-24-2019.mov?dl=0&m=[/video] Any feedback is welcome!

Billy Z
My dash went crazy like that when the battery was near dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just had this happen to my 2016 FiST. Called a tow truck and the driver said most likely an issue with the Anti-Theft System. First time I've ever seen this happen. Maybe its the same issue you've seen. Remedy was to let the car sit, I waited about 30 minutes till the tow truck got to my location. He got in it and it started up no issues. So it almost as if it need to power down completely. My wife videoed the dash going nuts and I took a picture of the Sync 3 screen with the message it showed. View attachment 20136

Billy Z
Its possible that your vehicles battery has taken a dump. Get the battery Tested....first....so go remove it and get it diagnosed or try to charge it at home if you have a battery charger.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Hello guys....I am new to this chat. I had this happen to me not long ago on my 2014 ST. I have a brand new battery in it. I had to completely recharged the battery to perform a few test and this is what i found. I had a constant current draw of 2.60A which isn't normal so i wanted to know where it came from. I pulled each fuse and the one that's faulty is fuse 5( Passenger compartment fuse box supply (battery) under the hood. i didn't go further i have no schematic. What should i do next.