Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating issue...

Hey all...

So I was running errands on Tuesday and noticed some steam coming out from the hood after I parked. Also the heat wouldn’t come on. I let the car cool down and drove home. Noticed I was low on coolant so added some. After adding coolant it I started the car again but still no heat blasting in the car. The car hasn’t moved in two days and no coolant puddle under the car.

The temp gauge on the dash doesn’t go any higher than half but I’m worried the motor is still overheating? Any thoughts?

OP
R
Thread Starter #2
After running the car for 10 minutes the level in the reservoir hasn’t changed.

SrsBsns

Hey all...

So I was running errands on Tuesday and noticed some steam coming out from the hood after I parked. Also the heat wouldn’t come on. I let the car cool down and drove home. Noticed I was low on coolant so added some. After adding coolant it I started the car again but still no heat blasting in the car. The car hasn’t moved in two days and no coolant puddle under the car.

The temp gauge on the dash doesn’t go any higher than half but I’m worried the motor is still overheating? Any thoughts?
What year is your FiST?

I just got mine back from the dealer last week. I have a later build 2015.

I was doing some mountain driving and everything seemed fine. I pulled over and had steam come from behind the block.

Temp gauge was dead center until it jumped to max.

Ford said that the line running from the back of the reservoir to the back of the block went bad and that I was losing coolant that way. I recommend checking that line.

If you have a '14 or early build '15, also look into the recall that was done for this exact problem.

I also recommend getting a pressure tester for the cooling system. Autozone will generally rent them for free. Mine did not hold pressure after the leak. It should hold about 21psi if it's all sealed up properly.

OP
R
Thread Starter #4
What year is your FiST?

I just got mine back from the dealer last week. I have a later build 2015.

I was doing some mountain driving and everything seemed fine. I pulled over and had steam come from behind the block.

Temp gauge was dead center until it jumped to max.

Ford said that the line running from the back of the reservoir to the back of the block went bad and that I was losing coolant that way. I recommend checking that line.

If you have a '14 or early build '15, also look into the recall that was done for this exact problem.

I also recommend getting a pressure tester for the cooling system. Autozone will generally rent them for free. Mine did not hold pressure after the leak. It should hold about 21psi if it's all sealed up properly.
Mines a 14. Yeah I’ve taken the car in for the recall twice but they always run out of time before I have to pick up the car ??????

The temp gauge never jumps to max just sits at normal temps.

If the thermostat was bad I know that would affect the heater in the car but could that also allow the car to overheat without the temp gauge rising in temp?

SrsBsns

I'd push for getting that recall work done. Especially after seeing some steam. The hassle will be much worse if you need to get the HG replaced instead of just some hoses and a sensor.

The thermostat could be stuck open, which would explain your heater problem. Does the heat work after the car idles/runs for a while?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The next question should be....Have you ever Bled a coolant system before? Do you have the proper tools or specialty tools to help make life easier?[driving]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Its sordove late in the week to gather any special tool as they will have to be ordered most likely..... this tool by Lisle is a great too to utilize when bleeding Air out of the coolant system.....

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY

And from another vendor thats color coded for what adapter goes where also which is nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I40ZQW...&pd_rd_r=59f5e684-20f3-11e9-b541-d1277253676c

There are plenty of videos to do it right or to do it the Janke way also on YouTube you can check out. You can get Ford coolant from the dealer or an Equivalent/ Universal coolant from just about any parts store.

Yup, just burp the system. Turn the heat on full blast while you do it so you know you got the bubble at the heater core out. These systems have tons of places to get air trapped [V] Good luck, if you need any help post up.

OP
R
Thread Starter #12
That’s for the advice. I’m working all weekend anyways but I’ll see if I can get some local help on Monday to burp the system.

OP
R
Thread Starter #15
So update!

Got a mechanic friend of mine to help me look and we found the house coming from the motor back to the return for the coolant tank the connector was cracked and leaking. Ordered a new hose and should have it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help!

SrsBsns

So update!

Got a mechanic friend of mine to help me look and we found the house coming from the motor back to the return for the coolant tank the connector was cracked and leaking. Ordered a new hose and should have it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Is this the hose that runs from the reservoir to the back of the block, or was it a different hose?