Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boost leaking from Boomba BOV adapter

I have the Boomba BOV adapter and ever since I put it in, I’ve noticed that after a shift if I don’t accelerate toward the next gear, and instead give moderate throttle, I can hear the BOV hanging open and purging air, if I let off or accelerate I can hear it slowly close and back to normal. Not all the time and only under certain throttle application between shifts. Any ideas??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
imcfarland93
Thread Starter #3
It basically takes the pin hole sized vent to atmosphere ports and puts a billet aluminum spacer in the middle to create bigger ports for a bigger sound, i was a ford certified technician for 5 years and old recently left the business but to me it feels like the computer is seeing a pressure drop and/or uses a strategy to hold the solenoid open longer. I was just curious if others with the same BOV have had similar issues

It basically takes the pin hole sized vent to atmosphere ports and puts a billet aluminum spacer in the middle to create bigger ports for a bigger sound, i was a ford certified technician for 5 years and old recently left the business but to me it feels like the computer is seeing a pressure drop and/or uses a strategy to hold the solenoid open longer. I was just curious if others with the same BOV have had similar issues

Mine does the same thing, I was told from Boomba it was normal.

Just a heads up everyone sometimes venting will cause a decrease in power going into next gear. These ecoboost engines use a recirculating system to keep boost pressure up between shifts. So though it may not effect drivability you can lose performance between shifts.

OP
imcfarland93
Thread Starter #7
Just a heads up everyone sometimes venting will cause a decrease in power going into next gear. These ecoboost engines use a recirculating system to keep boost pressure up between shifts. So though it may not effect drivability you can lose performance between shifts.
I felt the same way, the power seemed lack-luster during this time but can be manipulated to close, I’ve never experienced it during hard acceleration. Only normal town driving

SrsBsns

Does it take longer for the turbo to spool up if you're not driving hard with the BOV adapter?

I've got this in my cart right now because... PSSSHHHHHHH... but I think I can live without it if it's a takeaway for normal daily driving.

Jerickson88

I’ve probably said it 30 times across the board but the mechanical valves dominate the electric ones, in my opinion anyways.

When I had my boomba spacer I experienced the same thing, and it made me realize that my stock valve has been doing it all along so I ditched it and never went back. I hear nice things about the GFB DV+ and the turbosmart em stuff, but I went old school and have zero issues.

I’m on the Turbosmart 50/50 mechanical valve. Love every bit

OP
imcfarland93
Thread Starter #11
Does it take longer for the turbo to spool up if you're not driving hard with the BOV adapter?

I've got this in my cart right now because... PSSSHHHHHHH... but I think I can live without it if it's a takeaway for normal daily driving.
I would say if you’re looking for sound on the cheap right now, do it 100% but I do plan on getting a better blow off down the road. I’ve had it 2 years and it’s not really a takeaway on daily driving. It’s nice to hear and when you need to go fast, there’s no leaking or lack of boost. It’s just part throttle town driving if that makes sense

OP
imcfarland93
Thread Starter #12
I’ve probably said it 30 times across the board but the mechanical valves dominate the electric ones, in my opinion anyways.

When I had my boomba spacer I experienced the same thing, and it made me realize that my stock valve has been doing it all along so I ditched it and never went back. I hear nice things about the GFB DV+ and the turbosmart em stuff, but I went old school and have zero issues.

I’m on the Turbosmart 50/50 mechanical valve. Love every bit
I’m glad I’m not the only one who had this issue thank you for clarifying. I’ll look into the Turbosmart closer now. I never looked at them before since I had the Boomba. Which I still love btw

OP
imcfarland93
Thread Starter #13
I would guess because of being at a higher rpm when you get into the next gear. Just make sure whatever BOV you purchase in future uses some sort of recirculation for these ecoboost motors
Agreed, I’ll look at upgrading in the future for sure

Jerickson88

I’m glad I’m not the only one who had this issue thank you for clarifying. I’ll look into the Turbosmart closer now. I never looked at them before since I had the Boomba. Which I still love btw

I don’t have any experience with the EM line but I will say that the mechanical makes all sorts of neat noises. Partial throttle, full throttle and everything inbetween.

Jerickson88

This. I went w/ the Boomba boost operated (mechanical) recirculating BPV and noticed an immediate improvement over the OEM diverter valve.
It gives these cars a nostalgic feel, if you’ve ever owned any older turbo cars. I’ve had quite a few swapped 240sx’s, and a few that I put a kit on the 2.4L and the car has a very similar feel when daily driving, throttle input wise.

FWIW this "issue" is just a function of BPV's being electronically controlled vs the vacuum/boost passive models of old. The computer has control over everything, and it is deciding to keep the valve open between shifts and after shifts on light throttle. Nothing is broken or needs to be fixed.