Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

As requested, pics of the current quarter wave resonator setup

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Pictures are the iteration in the video here:

[video=youtube;DR7h7tjNTc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7h7tjNTc4[/video]

I promised photos ages ago on my original write-up - sorry it took so long. I'm constantly adjusting and revising the tail section, everything before that I am a fan of. Once I get it all set I'll do final installation of the tailpipe with a better exhaust tip and fewer transitions, then cut and vband it all. My goal is to retain a swappable tail section, since I get bored easily I'm still working out kinks with my switch to a full helmholtz chamber, but I had been asked for photos of my quarter wave resonated exhaust. This iteration rotated things downward so you can actually see it in pics. It's 33.25" long cancelling ~106.67 hz. The sloppy welds are ones I did, and I used non-stainless wire (oops). When I switch to a full helmholtz chamber it'll be slightly less peak cancellation, but it will cover a broader range (probably from 100hz to 120hz or so, all the worst resonant frequencies I've found in the FiST). The ultra quiet kills a lot of high frequencies so it *does* kill turbo impeller sounds (no whistling) but you can hear the wastegate just fine. I have driven this around next to overly sensitive Orange County police and only got attention due to blowoff sounds and some crackling.

Future exhaust plans:
- Adjust the exhaust hangers because at present the exhaust is "squeaky" when the car is cold
- Finish new t304 helmholtz chamber
- Chop it up and vband it (I'll probably vband the stock exhaust too for easier reinstallation).
- New rear section with an interesting sounding muffler. Maybe a vibrant muffler or a borla x1? I dunno, I'll probably try a few.
- Pay a fab welder to fix my crappy welds.

Here's how I figured out the length of the quarter wave resonator:
RPM w/ resonant drone 3200
Pulses per rev 2
Resonant frequency 106.6666667hz

107hz (easier than 106.6666667)
1210.11 (assumed 71 degrees f)
11.30943925 (speed of sound@71f)/(frequency)
2.827359813 (wave length/4 (feet))
33.92831776 (chamber length in inches)

Here's how I'm planning the size of my helmholtz chamber:
Frequency 106.67 hz
Port area 0.0381 meters = 1.5 inches
Port length 0.1016 meters = 4 inches
Velocity of sound@expected temp 343.4 m/s
Volume 9.97E-02 cu meters = 333.2521 c/i

I'm not 100% on the sizing of the helmholtz; I have the necessary dimensions, I just have to figure out how I am going to fit it in near the rear section :p I'm playing with hydro-forming it but getting exact dimensions is not easy there. So far I've just ruptured a bunch of sheet metal balloons. If there are any enginerds that read this and my math/dimensions are obviously wrong, feel free to chime in.