Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear motor mount bolt stuck

Trying to replace my rear mount, the bracket came off fine and so did the rear bolt that goes directly into the mount.

The front bolt doesn't really want to budge, its in tight and with enough force it makes a crack noise but doesn't come any looser. It's made this noise 2-3 times now and I don't want to continue in case I snap anything.

Anyone else had this issue? And if so how did you get round it.

I've soaked it in WD-40 already!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Trying to replace my rear mount, the bracket came off fine and so did the rear bolt that goes directly into the mount.

The front bolt doesn't really want to budge, its in tight and with enough force it makes a crack noise but doesn't come any looser. It's made this noise 2-3 times now and I don't want to continue in case I snap anything.

It's likely stuck because of the weight of the engine/transmission on it. When doing mounts it's always a good practice to jack the engine/tranny very slightly, only a few mm, to take the pressure off the mount. Then you can very easily replace them.

I recommend you take a jack, lift the engine just barely. Put a block of wood between your jack and the oil pan and you'll be fine. Just a few mm. This will take the pressure off the mount/bolt and it will come right out. For reinstallation you might need to raise/lower the engine one or two mm in order to get it in easy. There is a sweet spot where things will go back together with no effort at all.

Just make sure you use a block of wood. Normally I don't recommend lifting the engine by the oil pan but in this case it's only a few mm, the other two mounts up top are holding it and with the block of wood you won't hurt anything.

Take your time and have fun, this should be easy. Good luck!

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
Thanks alot!

I had a feeling I should jack the engine up, I only had the jack up high enough to hold the engine where it was as a bit of a safety precaution.

I will give this a go when I get back from work and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again :)

Se7eN

I've done a few of them for myself and friends, the front one always sounds like it wants to snap off. Since it's not really sealed it gets dust and debris.

Also, what jeff said is completely correct. I always use a jack stand in order to keep the engine and trans from moving and supported. This also helps when you cant to put the bolts back on, everything lines up better