Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

195/55/15 or 185/60/15 snow tires?

GTP

What sizes is everyone running for snows? Is there any (negligible) benefit over one size vs the other? Should I just go with the best price and forget about the two sizes?

I have a set of 4 year old Yokohama IceGuard IG52s that just seem to have lost a ton of grip in anything slick. I want to replace them...They were an inherited set and I think they sat in a shed for a couple years by PO. Maybe too heat cycled out and the DOT date is 2015. So who knows. They are a bit sketchy for winter tires to do doing what they are supposed to do. Sumthin's up??

Any advice for the snow belters?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
What sizes is everyone running for snows? Is there any (negligible) benefit over one size vs the other? Should I just go with the best price and forget about the two sizes?

I have a set of 4 year old Yokohama IceGuard IG52s that just seem to have lost a ton of grip in anything slick. I want to replace them...They were an inherited set and I think they sat in a shed for a couple years by PO. Maybe too heat cycled out and the DOT date is 2015. So who knows. They are a bit sketchy for winter tires to do doing what they are supposed to do. Sumthin's up??

Any advice for the snow belters?
The 195/55/15 is the closest to stock rolling diameter and is on the slight negative (eg, speedo will read higher than actual). 185/60/15 is almost as close but is a slight positive (speedo will read less than actual speed). I prefer to be negative, as postive will have lessen performance (it does increase gas mileage though).

The bad to me about 195 is that with a narrower wheel, it will wander a bit more. I had the issue when I ran steelie 15x6. I now have 15x7 and that pulls the sidewall out a bit more and thus stiffens things up.

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #3
The 195/55/15 is the closest to stock rolling diameter and is on the slight negative (eg, speedo will read higher than actual). 185/60/15 is almost as close but is a slight positive (speedo will read less than actual speed). I prefer to be negative, as postive will have lessen performance (it does increase gas mileage though).

The bad to me about 195 is that with a narrower wheel, it will wander a bit more. I had the issue when I ran steelie 15x6. I now have 15x7 and that pulls the sidewall out a bit more and thus stiffens things up.
Between treadwear and age, I'm not surprised that your 4 year old winter tires are having trouble.

I'm running 185/60R15 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on steelies and have nothing but good things to say about them. I would get some cheap 15x6 alloys if it weren't for the potholes around here. After a nasty pothole hit with a steel wheel you can often just hammer it back into shape and be fine, but no such luck with alloys.

I've always been told that for winter tires you want thinner tread and taller sidewalls. The reason being that in snow and slush you achieve traction by cutting through and wider tires will have a much more difficult time of cutting through and instead will plow the snow/slush. The taller sidewall can lend itself to both a cushier ride and a longer contact patch which also improves traction for acceleration and braking. The possible tradeoff is that the tire itself will flex more under lateral forces during cornering, but that's not necessarily and bad thing depending on the situation and conditions.

To be honest, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference between 195/55R15 and 185/60R15 but on paper 185/60R15 lends itself to overall superior winter tire performance. Plus, with it being slightly taller than stock, you'll have some extra ground clearance for when the roads are covered in that white bullshit. The taller effective gearing will also give you slightly better fuel economy and make it a bit easier to prevent breaking the tires loose under acceleration.
This is fantastic advice guys. I have a cheapo but light set of 15X6.5 wheels-alloy so I am in between on wheel size (probably deminimus). I have played with tire pressures and traction control settings on these Yoko's and I just couldn't get them to grip. Then I researched and looked at the DOT date, called the old owner (who stored them outside in a metal shed) and realized I have some expired winter rubber.

I think you guys are right-on with the size and I am leaning towards the R2 Haks-but I heard they were discontinued for the new R3s 185/60/15. I made a couple inquiries and they prices are very reasonable-but they are older DOT dates and probably old stock. The new R3 is certainly attainable in any size but about 40% more per tire. I would grab up some R2s but I maybe looking at old stock on those. Can you guys confirm if they are "discontinued"?

I did find these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokian-Nor...h=item4b012a82ad:g:YNQAAOSwty5a9izL:rk:4:pf:1

I don't know much about the Nordman 5. I think it's an older design identical to the Altimax Arctic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-185-...c-12-185-60-15-Winter-Snow-Tires/332724432636

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Arctic 12s are only about a 1.5 year old design/release, so they would NOT be 'dated out' of traction by an ancient build date, no matter what.

I have not had mine out yet in any winter conditions (they were GREAT while working the stages on the rocks/gravel/dust of the New England Forest Rally last July, though LOL), but I suspect they would be equal to the top tier winters (Hakka R2/3s, X-ice 3s, etc.) in slush, and on dry roads, and noticeably worse than those on packed snow, and glare/'black' ice.

Some have claimed that they are actually superior to the top, premium winter donuts out there on DEEP, un-packed snow, but who knows? [dunno]

The ride IS really 'cushy' though on these, since mine are 195/60-15s mounted on 15x7 alloys (which will probably rub on a much lowered FiST).

OP
GTP

GTP

Thread Starter #5
The Arctic 12s are only about a 1.5 year old design/release, so they would NOT be 'dated out' of traction by an ancient build date, no matter what.

I have not had mine out yet in any winter conditions (they were GREAT on the rocks/gravel/dust of the New England Forset Rally last July, though LOL), but I suspect they would be equal to the top tier winters (Hakka R2/3s, X-ice 3s, etc.) in slush, and on dry roads, and noticeably worse than those on packed snow, and glare/'black' ice.

Some have claimed that they are actually superior to the top, premium winter donuts out there on DEEP, un-packed snow, but who knows? [dunno]

The ride IS really 'cushy' though on these, since mine are 195/60-15s mounted on 15x7 alloys (which will probably rub on a much lowered FiST).
Thanks man-I knew the 12s were newer so that makes me feel good about these. I'd probably opt for 185/60/15 because I am going with springs in the ...spring [:)]