Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car Stalled after Fill Up

PENN

Filled up my tank, and a minute later, while sitting at a red light, the car stalled and I had to restart.

I've felt the car stutter before after a fill-up and I've read that there's a proper way to fill-up with capless tanks: wait 5+ seconds before fueling, and wait 5+ after fueling before removing the nozzle.

This is the first time the car actually stalled after a fill-up.

Any ideas?
Does something need to be replaced/fixed?

Thanks.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Oh, that reminds me, if anybody is trying to "top off" their tank after the nozzle clicks and stops flowing, stop that. No, really, knock it off. Doesn't help anything, and in fact can be harmful.
That's a variable. I can top off all I want with no problem. Others have experienced the engine's cutting off. There's a thread on this on this forum.

Mine does the stutter after every fill up and I don't fill it until it clicks. It hasn't completely stalled out before though.

Mikey456

There was another thread on this issue. I noticed when I leave the fueling nozzle in the car for about 30 seconds after I finish fueling the car will stall less (I got this idea from another forum member) Sometimes I notice a drop in idle after but the car does not always stall. I’m still under warranty, so I might take it in to the dealer.

I let mine fill til it stops. Wait a few seconds before releasing the nozzle, occasionally I'll get a stumble or a long crank before it starts. No stalling though.

Ford Community Posts