Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Abrasive Porting

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Decided to post this out of interest and share.

So what is Abrasive Porting?, probably very similar and I think almost the same as what is called Extrude Honing where a abrasive putty-like compound is forced through passage ways to reduce restriction and increase flow, think of cylinder head ports, exhaust and intake manifolds.
There is only one person in Australia that does this process (abrasive porting) and this guy has been doing for over 15 years.
I have had the process done once before on a IHI turbo charger for my WRX with good results. Usually when it is done to the exhaust and compressor housings on a turbocharger to increase flow, because the turbo is maxed out. When I mean maxed out, it is spinning at its maximum speed rating which is directly related to the flow it is producing. This is where a Compressor map becomes very useful.
Anyway I decided to have the process done to my BW EFR 6258. The thing is I am no where near out of flow. The 6258 will flow 44lbs/min and data logs tell me I am peaking at around 33lbs,min. So why do it?.
Well one of the things I did notice when I had the process done the IHI turbo was increase response and less lag and my thought process is that every little bit helps.

I had exhaust housing done first.

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

New compressor housing. Note the new housing has a 3.5"inlet verse the old 2.5" inlet and it also runs anti- surge porting.
Not a good image, should of taken the pic before I fitted the housing.

IMG_2804.JPG

I intended to have the compressor housing done as well but run into problems when guy told me the "air gap" was not large enough to force the abrasive median through. You would have to look at the inside of a compressor housing to understand what the guy was talking about. The guy also told me you can machine the air gap larger but the result you get is a little unknow until it is done. I was a little pissed about this because I think the porting to the compressor housing would make the biggest difference. I have not given up completely on the idea yet :)

Another thing I decided to do was change the style of compressor housing used on the 6258. BW now make a housing that deletes the diverting valve and the machined port in the housing. This machine port causes the turbo to make a very unusual noise when it is producing boost underload. This only happens at 20psi and above. I would describe the noise as a ringing sound and it quite disconcerting and loud. You do get use to it.

Changing the housing also meant running an external diverter/plumb back valve, see pic.
This is about the best image I can get, getting the DV in there was a squeeze for room. The DV is mounted between the compressor inlet and outlet hoses.

IMG_2858.JPG

Air gap in the compressor housing.

IMG_2812.JPG

Old compressor housing showing DV port.

IMG_2809.JPG

Attachments