Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Resonator delete sound difference?

Spork1569

Hi all,
Recently had a local muffler shop chop off the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe based off sound clips from YouTube. I wasn't expecting a lot in the sound level as many have said but more the tone of the exhaust. I even have the cut off resonator in my trunk so I know for sure it's gone.

However when I ride in the car whether in the car cabin windows up, windows down, door open, or even standing outside and having someone rev it for me I can't hear a difference at all? Would the size of the pipe they put in have made this much of a difference as I didn't specify what they should use.

Was hoping for a little better sound but after having the Borla touring on my Veloster turbo before this maybe I'm expecting too much from a simple mod. Maybe will be looking at a catback in the future for the FiST too.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
You removed the resonator AND muffler?

Just deleting the resonator does not add much volume change, but removing both and replacing with straight pipe should definitely change sound.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #3
You removed the resonator AND muffler?

Just deleting the resonator does not add much volume change, but removing both and replacing with straight pipe should definitely change sound.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
I replaced just the resonator, I wasn't expecting a huge change from the sound clips online but as of now I don't really hear any difference at all.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
A lot of exhaust "modifiications" in general, just end up sounding like an exhaust leak, or "fart can". [vommit]
I've heard very few modifications that actually sound tasteful.

There was a very helpful video on youtube about the symposer, how it works, how it can potentially cause "boost leak" and how to fix that. The way i understand it, is that the factory diaphragm is what creates the sound. It doesn't transmit vacuum, but it does have a vaccum side and a non-vaccum side, and the vaccum side resonates the diaphragm, which "symposes" the sound to the non-vacuum side and that sound flows to the cabin. Unless you replaced it with another resonator or diaphragm, the straight pipe alone is not gona create the sound you're looking for.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
That video did state that leaky Symposers were only a problem for those who had modified their setups; swapping out the turbo or bumping boost levels beyond stock.

you should mostly notice it after you pump the gas and then let off. you should hear a little rumbling as the engine comes off of compression. i have my back seats out and i noticed a bit more noise inside the car afterwards, especially at 75+ mph, but nothing obnoxious.

There was a very helpful video on youtube about the symposer, how it works, how it can potentially cause "boost leak" and how to fix that. The way i understand it, is that the factory diaphragm is what creates the sound. It doesn't transmit vacuum, but it does have a vaccum side and a non-vaccum side, and the vaccum side resonates the diaphragm, which "symposes" the sound to the non-vacuum side and that sound flows to the cabin. Unless you replaced it with another resonator or diaphragm, the straight pipe alone is not gona create the sound you're looking for.
The Sound symposer has nothing to do with the exhaust system. He replaced the resonator on his exhaust system not the sound symposer.

To the original poster, I also removed the resonator and noticed a slightly louder exhaust. Some people have had good success by replacing the stock muffler with
an aftermarket one. Check around the forum for sound clips of different mufflers.