Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need advice on selecting a tune.

Okay, So I am new to the tuning world. I have a '16 FiST with about 12k miles on it. So far I have bought, but not installed, a CP-e FMIC, VUDU RMM, NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, ST200 Airbox w/Green Filter. I also have a Cobb AP.

1st, are there any "must have" items I am missing?

2nd, are there any OTS tunes that would be well suited for this set up or would I be better off getting a custom tune?

Thanks in advance for any input/advise.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Okay, So I am new to the tuning world. I have a '16 FiST with about 12k miles on it. So far I have bought, but not installed, a CP-e FMIC, VUDU RMM, NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, ST200 Airbox w/Green Filter. I also have a Cobb AP.

2nd, are there any OTS tunes that would be well suited for this set up or would I be better off getting a custom tune?

Thanks in advance for any input/advise.
Well for that....depends on how much you wanna spend? If it was me id get V2 tune From Jason@dizzytunes in your octanes of choice....if you can I would highly suggest a e30 tune also. Id say you have the parts pretty much covered for a stock turbo setup. I'm sure others will chime in.....the only next step would be Hybrid turbo or BT with a custom tune....IMO.[rockon] Good luck! And enjoy!

OP
Z
Thread Starter #3
I really do value all the good info on this site.

I have 93 at the pumps here. How big of a PIA is e30?

I am going to try to stay away from turbo upgrades for now, but in a little time, I don't think it will take too much to talk myself into a hybrid.

CSM

1000 Post Club
You're good with those mods...you should be able to basically max out your OEM turbo on those mods.

I personally have Dizzy and have enjoyed his "flash" tunes. I have the V2 93 and E30 tunes. Car makes about 200hp/270tq on 93 and 215/300tq on E30. You could get a bit more performance out of a full custom tune but I've been happy with where I'm at at least until I go turbo upgrade.

I think if you went stratified or Dizzy for their "flash" tunes you'd be good. Tune+ is an option too but I think more popular in FoST/FoRS circles. JST performance is also amazing but he doesnt do flash tunes, only full custom tunes.

CSM vdyno 01312019.JPG

CSM

1000 Post Club
I have 93 at the pumps here. How big of a PIA is e30?
E30 isn't really all that pain in the ass if you can find a good E85 pump near you that has consistent ethanol %. For you I would go check out the Sheetz on I40/54 in Cary I think. They were building that one when I was in school at NC State and I know they have E85.

Basically:
  • Buy an Ethanol tester. I have this one but there are many just like it https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FRSX713/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Find an E85 pump, pull off a few oz from the pump and test for ethanol content. I like to fill a 2 gallon gas cannister with E85 that I use to test (I then put the 2 gallons into my GFs car)
  • Based on 1) the Ethanol content at the pump and 2) the amount of fuel left in your car (you can view this in your Cobb AP), use one of the great mixing charts to determine ratio of E85 to 93
  • Drive for 10-15 miles, load the tune, and enjoy. I always keep a closer eye on negative ign corrections after filling a fresh batch of E30

The Dizzy E30 tunes have some flexibility built in, so you aren't going to grenade your car if you are at 25% ethanol or 35% ethanol.

This is a great reference thread https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/11556-E30-mixing-chart

CSM

1000 Post Club
Last post and I'll shut up. I promise.

- Look into a symposer delete. I personally thought the symposer sounded cool but after seeing a youtuber (MarkCup70) show clear evidence of it leaking, I decided to delete mine.
- Factory diverter valve can leak especially at higher pressures. GFB DV+ is popular for our cars (it replaces the OEM internals with higher quality piston/spring etc) and is a good budget upgrade.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #8
Been thinking about the symposer delete. I haven't been in a big hurry since the AP has shown what look to be "normal" boost numbers. But I guess there's not much sense in waiting for it to leak.

Going to have to read up on the factory diverter valve.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Been thinking about the symposer delete. I haven't been in a big hurry since the AP has shown what look to be "normal" boost numbers. But I guess there's not much sense in waiting for it to leak.

Going to have to read up on the factory diverter valve.
Factory boost levels the stock valve is OK. If you go Dizzy tune you'll be hitting 26psi easily. Factory valve just can't handle those pressures.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Stratified offers an OTS tune with the option to purchase a revision. I did that with my stock turbo and loved it. They’re custom tuning my hybrid now and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve always received at least one revision within one business day as well, which is fantastic. I haven’t used Dizzy, so I cannot comment on his.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #11
So, I am starting to get the feeling that with stock turbo, it may be best on a "bang per buck" standpoint to pick a well respected tuner, like Dizzy or Stratified and select one of their flash tunes.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #13
Rather than start a new thread I guess I can just ask here. With the VUDU RMM, I have heard the vibrations can be pretty rough at idle. Anyone have any advise as far as setting the RPM in a tune?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Rather than start a new thread I guess I can just ask here. With the VUDU RMM, I have heard the vibrations can be pretty rough at idle. Anyone have any advise as far as setting the RPM in a tune?
Let the mount break in before anything..it may take some time like a couple months. I have the Boomba RMM .....I Don't even notice its there anymore....its been 2 years! [party]. I think that people worry too much about vibration from the RMM. Its one of the First mods I ever did....Got rid of the clunk..... after the dealer dismissed me for nothing was wrong. So that was the last time I went to that dealer....[giggle]

Let the mount break in before anything..it may take some time like a couple months. I have the Boomba RMM .....I Don't even notice its there anymore....its been 2 years! [party]. I think that people worry too much about vibration from the RMM. Its one of the First mods I ever did....Got rid of the clunk..... after the dealer dismissed me for nothing was wrong. So that was the last time I went to that dealer....[giggle]
But....nothing was wrong? That's just the way this car functions from the factory. Quite normal, I thought.

zanethan

But....nothing was wrong? That's just the way this car functions from the factory. Quite normal, I thought.
Technically the 1-2 clunk is “normal” but it can’t be good for mounts. The first production Focus ST had a TSB to resolve the issue. No love for the Fiesta though. OP if you’re worried about vibrations at idle just bump the idle speed by 100 RPM on your tune. Also, big fan of my tune from Dizzy as well.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No there was something wrong....the stock mount was tearing...I found that when I took it out....plus the service advisor said it was the first FiST he rode in....so you tell me how he would know if the clunking was normal? Wierd....he was a complete cock womble. Never went back to my purchasing dealer ever again.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford Community Posts