Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler sizing 300WHP

Hi All,

Over in the UK everboy body pushing 300+bhp at the crank seems to run a full radiator sized intercooler, Pro alloy or Airtek stage 3 are the most popular,

Id rather run a smaller cooler if I could to reduce pressure drop and rad blocking, something like the Mishimoto one,

I will be going Revo RT330 in the next month or two, so not crazy numbers like some seen here but would like to know if any of you run above that number on a smaller cooler, any issues have you had to upsize?

OP
T
Thread Starter #2
Hey, welcome to the forums. You should say hi in the New Member Introduction subforum!

You don't really need such a massive intercooler for 99% of the applications on this vehicle, especially if it isn't going to simply be a schizophrenic big turbo track toy its entire life. FMICs like the Mishimoto, cp-e, Whoosh, Cobb, Mountune, etc are all perfectly capable for 350bhp or even more. As you've said, airflow to the radiator is very important and you want as much as you can get with this car, and on that note I would recommend spending the money saved on the FMIC on an uprated radiator to assuage the barely-adequate stock cooling system.

On another note, unless Revo has redesigned the RT330 compressor housing, I would avoid using that turbo. It has some severe issues, which you can read about on this forum.
Yeah its only a daily driver might see track from time to time, but is alot colder over here,

Wouldnt save a whole lot as the mishi one isnt cheap (wasnt looking at the J-Line) however this forum has alot of info on the J-line so im doing some research on that at the moment, might be cheaper and better in the long run,

Your comments on the RT330 are worrying, ive heard of no issues my side of the world at all, did a search just but only found alot of "RT330 is here" type threads could you link me to any issues you know of?

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

Im actually in the same town as Revo and have known them to be quite helpfull and proactive with the local comunity, I suspect they are over their head a little with Turbo Technics (who should know better) making the turbo for them and they are just mapping to it,

In fact the car used in the promo (white one) is in my local car club so I might speak to him and see if he had any issues in development with them, failing that Ive got facebook messeges with the sales manager so will raise the query with him,

I guess its less noticable to people here running the lower boost figures, but the video in the other thread is a little alarming,

X47 probably has the worse reliability rep this side, especially when people have the crackle/decel maps,
VT330 I dont really trust Peron/Vudu to be honest although that turbo has the same base as the RT330 (vag origins) a friend had issues on Peron stage2 switched to Revo and is now Revo s242 issue free and happy,

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
What are the very hottest ambient temps you ever hit in your part of jolly ol' England?
about 34C was peak last year and that was the hottest I can remember for years, so thats around 93.2 in freedom degree's ;)