Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

"Massive" intercooler installed. I know, it's overkill.

It took a bit of elbow grease, but I installed a CX Racing 35"x12"x2.75" intercooler. It's bar and plate designed, and destined not to fit our cars. However, I have retained the bumper beam and most of the undertray. Slight trimming of the inner bumper cover and removal of the small radiator bar were necessary. Car is running great. Charge air temps have never exceeded 8* over ambient. COBB STG3 OTS hits 24psi with no knock (of course).
Not a bad way to spend a weekend. As stated, this is absolutely overkill, but I have a curious nature and always want to see what I can get to work. I need to trim the remainder of the grill slats, but it was 23 degrees last night, so I left them for now. Overall, $100 well spent. I'm pretty sure this is the largest IC fitted to a FiST.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-U...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ic1.jpg
ic2.jpg
ic3.jpg
ic4.jpg
ic5.jpg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It took a bit of elbow grease, but I installed a CX Racing 35"x12"x2.75" intercooler. It's bar and plate designed, and destined not to fit our cars. However, I have retained the bumper beam and most of the undertray. Slight trimming of the inner bumper cover and removal of the small radiator bar were necessary. Car is running great. Charge air temps have never exceeded 8* over ambient. COBB STG3 OTS hits 24psi with no knock (of course).
Not a bad way to spend a weekend. As stated, this is absolutely overkill, but I have a curious nature and always want to see what I can get to work. I need to trim the remainder of the grill slats, but it was 23 degrees last night, so I left them for now. Overall, $100 well spent. I'm pretty sure this is the largest IC fitted to a FiST.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRacing-U...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

View attachment 19673
View attachment 19674
View attachment 19675
View attachment 19676
View attachment 19677
How is it being supported? Or is it just hanging in there during to tightness?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Nice work tucking her up there. But far as efficiency of cooling air its going to be about as good as a stock sized one with a 1/4 of the top being covered up. I rarely see above 10 deg ambient with a Cobb Intercooler installed unless its just 95+ out and in which case im not driving it hard so it doesnt matter at that point. Maybe a new bumper support in your future?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nice work tucking her up there. But far as efficiency of cooling air its going to be about as good as a stock sized one with a 1/4 of the top being covered up. I rarely see above 10 deg ambient with a Cobb Intercooler installed unless its just 95+ out and in which case im not driving it hard so it doesnt matter at that point. Maybe a new bumper support in your future?
The intercooler is a giant heat sink....So having it completely exposed doesn't harm the efficiency....it will be way more adequate than a stock on every day of the week.

Last edited:
Is it larger than the Airtec FMIC Stage 3? Looks good nonetheless! Maybe modify the front bumper to allow more airflow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The intercooler is a giant heat sink....So having it completely exposed doesn't harm the efficiency....it will be way more adequate than a stock on every day of the week.

I wasnt referencing it wouldnt work as good asa stock one. Anything is better than the stock one! An this looks great and was well done. Just if it were myself id find a way to get as much of that big cooler in flowing air to really do its job. Not hating on his work cuz we dont have lots of room to work with and it looks clean!

OP
STernax
Thread Starter #7
I have flat bar stock mounted to the top of the crash bar as well as a few well placed zip ties, for security. The piping is resting inside the lower bumper/undertray. It's also wedged in pretty good.

OP
STernax
Thread Starter #8
So much of the core is covered by the crash bar. If I can find an aftermarket piece that isn't 4x what I paid for the IC, I'll toss it right in. My buddy has the COBB unit and it works just as well as mine. I'm sure any of the bolt-on affairs would have done the job just fine, but I have a bad habit of doing everything custom/inexpensive.

OP
STernax
Thread Starter #10
I think it is, but I can't find the full capacity of the Airtec. Rough calculations say this is barley larger. In the 3rd picture down, the start of the beam cut is shown. I ran out of patience and needed to drive to work, so I haven't cut the beam yet. At some point, I'll finish the cut to frame the C properly. I need to do my downpipe, TS wastegate actuator and get a fresh tune before I go any further.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Now THAT, is impressive! That thing is gorgeous.
...and Ron is coming out with an aftermarket crash bar, just like the DHM/DaVinci ones made for over-sized ICs, for (hopefully) much less co$t, in the future, so that may be yet another option for you. ;)