Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sell the ST or Mustang GT?

Thinking and planning ahead- as much as I do not want to sell my ST, it is going to be down to selling the ST or my 2018 Mustang GT. I have too many cars as I approach retirement. The ST and GT are two of the best cars I ever had so it is going to be a very hard decision. The ST has been bullet proof for the 10K miles I have driven it in 10 months. No issues, no rattles, no squeaks, no funny engine noises. It drives like it will last well over 100K miles. The GT is so awesome too- it's only a base model bust sounds so good, drives so good. But the engine is not whisper quiet- it has the BBQ tick and rattle at 2K RPM that's all over the forums- but it is supposedly "normal". I am not sure how durable it will be long term. I even did a cost of ownership analysis between the two cars- they cost about the same- actually the GT is cheaper to drive despite worse gas mileage. Mainly due to lower insurance and running regular gas- 87 octane versus 93 I run in the ST.

They are both fun in their own way to drive- and both very comfortable. The GT is a powerhouse the ST will never be. But the ST is so nimble, sits up higher, gets me almost 40 MPG versus the GT's 26. I never had 2 cars I liked so much. I don't need back seats as I have a vintage Ford Bronco I am restoring- which has a back seat and will be my truck.

Is this a good site to sell my ST? It's a 2017 base, platinum white with black wheels, 10K miles. I figure it's worth 14-15K. I could "give" it to CarMax but they will probably give me 10K for it.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thinking and planning ahead- as much as I do not want to sell my ST, it is going to be down to selling the ST or my 2018 Mustang GT. I have too many cars as I approach retirement. The ST and GT are two of the best cars I ever had so it is going to be a very hard decision. The ST has been bullet proof for the 10K miles I have driven it in 10 months. No issues, no rattles, no squeaks, no funny engine noises. It drives like it will last well over 100K miles. The GT is so awesome too- it's only a base model bust sounds so good, drives so good. But the engine is not whisper quiet- it has the BBQ tick and rattle at 2K RPM that's all over the forums- but it is supposedly "normal". I am not sure how durable it will be long term. I even did a cost of ownership analysis between the two cars- they cost about the same- actually the GT is cheaper to drive despite worse gas mileage. Mainly due to lower insurance and running regular gas- 87 octane versus 93 I run in the ST.

They are both fun in their own way to drive- and both very comfortable. The GT is a powerhouse the ST will never be. But the ST is so nimble, sits up higher, gets me almost 40 MPG versus the GT's 26. I never had 2 cars I liked so much. I don't need back seats as I have a vintage Ford Bronco I am restoring- which has a back seat and will be my truck.

Is this a good site to sell my ST? It's a 2017 base, platinum white with black wheels, 10K miles. I figure it's worth 14-15K. I could "give" it to CarMax but they will probably give me 10K for it.
The BBQ tick alone is enough for me to steer clear. I have seen a bunch of the youtube vids on the tick and it would scare the shit out of me if I owned one.

If the mustang is automatic, that would make the decision much easier, keep the manual car (ST).

OP
Q
Thread Starter #3
The BBQ tick alone is enough for me to steer clear. I have seen a bunch of the youtube vids on the tick and it would scare the shit out of me if I owned one.

If the mustang is automatic, that would make the decision much easier, keep the manual car (ST).
Yes, the decision sure would be easier and it would be the GT if it was automatic but the GT has the much preferred 6 speed manual of course!

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Yes, the decision sure would be easier and it would be the GT if it was automatic but the GT has the much preferred 6 speed manual of course!
The manual trans in the 18 GT has that crappy shift fork. Seen a bunch of those vids too. Another reason to sell it and keep the ST.

But, strictly speaking car for car without taking into account known mechanical issues, I still prefer the ST. Light and nimble always trumps everything else.

I had a 2016 challenger scat pack manual almost 2 years ago. Fast yes, but heavy and not a particularly engaging driving experience. I have way more fun in the FiST!

cost analysis is one factor. I encourage you to look at use case. in you daily life and fun which fits your needs better.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I dunno man, for me I was cross shopping a GT and the ST; other than the fact I didn't have room to fit the GT behind the other cars but I did have room for the ST, I also felt like I would never get to "use" the mustang - ever putting my foot down would land me in jail or get the car impounded. I have lots of mountains, coastal roads, twisty canyons around me so the ST was just something I would get more use out of. Since you're in Florida, I'm guessing Naples is like the rest of the state and very flat/boring, the GT might be better because the ST isn't very fun going in straight lines on flat roads, the GT at least gets you some straight line giggles.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You may need to find a different insurance company my ST only added $35 a month. I would probably go with the ST, because a new GT mustang would probably put me in jail.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

my corvette is half the cost of my fiesta ST to insure.. something about these cars.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
my corvette is half the cost of my fiesta ST to insure.. something about these cars.
My brother mentioned some not so good crash test ratings, that might have something to do with it.

OP
Q
Thread Starter #11
Space for me. I have a small house, no driveway and a 20 X 22 2 car garage that is so organized- which is my work shop, car garage with roll aways, etc. and it has 2 cars in it too.

My insurance on the ST was 1300 a year through Geico, then went to Hartford Group and it lowered it to 900. The GT is only 700.

Yes, unfortunately in FL roads are straight and people drive FAST- floor it at every light and 90-100 on the interstate. On the very few curves here the ST is tenacious. On the straight aways not so much. The GT holds it's own on the straight aways and can pull away from the cookie cutters.

The other thing is that I have a small loan on the ST- and almost no loan on the GT. GT=cash in hand. ST means I might have to shell 1 or 2K.

I guess I need to see how the Bronco comes out- if crappy I'll sell it and keep the ST and GT.

Wish you lived closer - I would love to buy your ST to replace my Mini as a daily driver! [8D]

It's a choice only you can make - I'm interested to see what you do. Both cars have their pros and cons, and I can understand how it would be a tough choice to keep only one of them.

Usually for me, all else being equal, I'd generally go with more power. I lusted for a BMW for years, finally got one, but after only a year or so, it just didn't have enough power and sort of bored me. 455 horsepower in the Camaro is more like it!

I bought a new 2005 Mustang GT (first year of the S197 redesign), and it was absolutely the most reliable car I ever owned in my life. I had it for 10 years and 78,000 miles, and it never had a single issue. Period. Drove it hard too - took it to HPDE track days every year - but also did all scheduled maintenance, Mobil 1 oil every 5000 miles, genuine Motorcraft filters, etc.

I'm sure both your cars would be reliable, so again, it's totally your choice. The good news is you really can't go wrong.

OP
Q
Thread Starter #13
Wish you lived closer - I would love to buy your ST to replace my Mini as a daily driver! [8D]

It's a choice only you can make - I'm interested to see what you do. Both cars have their pros and cons, and I can understand how it would be a tough choice to keep only one of them.

Usually for me, all else being equal, I'd generally go with more power. I lusted for a BMW for years, finally got one, but after only a year or so, it just didn't have enough power and sort of bored me. 455 horsepower in the Camaro is more like it!

I bought a new 2005 Mustang GT (first year of the S197 redesign), and it was absolutely the most reliable car I ever owned in my life. I had it for 10 years and 78,000 miles, and it never had a single issue. Period. Drove it hard too - took it to HPDE track days every year - but also did all scheduled maintenance, Mobil 1 oil every 5000 miles, genuine Motorcraft filters, etc.

I'm sure both your cars would be reliable, so again, it's totally your choice. The good news is you really can't go wrong.
Thanks-Being as old and wise as I am and knowing cars I have 4 of the best of the best. How do I know- as I have had them before or I have had so many cars and trucks I just know what is good and what is not. I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler- to me the TJ with the 4.0L and manual transmission is the best Wrangler period, nothing will ever match it. And I am building a 66 Ford Early Bronco- what I feel is the best 4 X 4 ever made. (I know I had 2 back in the 70's). And pocket rocket hatch backs are the best- I had the very first one- a 83 VW GTI- the FIST reminds me of that. And the GT is just a fun, very low priced power house for the "poor man" who loves power but can't afford the Porsche, BMW or Mercedes race cars. Never mind the cars, even if they were free, could not afford the maintenance.

It's so tough to manage 4 cars without a large piece of property so one has to go. I have had cars and trucks in the past I can't wait to get rid of but whichever one goes it will be tough this time.

PhoenixM3

Iā€™m the proud owner of a 2013 GT500, a 2017 FiST, and a 2018 Ford Fusion Sport. Honestly, Iā€™ll likely sell the Shelby and step up to (or step sideways to) a Gen V Viper. I think youā€™d be better off keeping the Fiesta, because Mustangs are always available in abundance, and the Fiesta is more practical and arguably more fun. Good luck with your decision and the restoration project. I have one too, but itā€™s a damn Chevy!

PhoenixM3

What do you think about your Ford Fusion Sport? Thatā€™s on my short list to replace my second car.
I havenā€™t played with it too much, but it is a rocket. We have about 2K Miles on it and Iā€™ve already tuned it. My guess is this thing goes 0-60 in 5 seconds flat if not quicker.

OP
Q
Thread Starter #17
I havenā€™t played with it too much, but it is a rocket. We have about 2K Miles on it and Iā€™ve already tuned it. My guess is this thing goes 0-60 in 5 seconds flat if not quicker.
Wow, that's a sleeper for sure! I wish the ST was just a little quicker. 0-60 in 6.7 is on the slow side and most of the cookie cutter cars and/or minivans, suv's are that fast if not faster. My 2017 Miata ND did 0-60 in 5.9- as well as my stock MazdaSpeed 3. That is more than enough to keep up or get ahead of traffic.

Seeing as Ford axed all their cars in America except the Mustang, I'd keep the Fiesta and sell the Mustang for now.

If things change in the future and you get an itch for a Mustang again, you can get another. If you sell the Fiesta and want one again, getting one in the same condition as yours now will be a challenge.

Plus with all the issues the current generation GTs have (BBQ ticking, shift fork, etc), personally I'd unload it just for peace of mind. It's a shame too, because they're fun cars. I took one for a test drive when I was getting my ST and the power was awesome.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
......I wish the ST was just a little quicker. 0-60 in 6.7 is on the slow side and most of the cookie cutter cars and/or minivans, suv's are that fast if not faster. My 2017 Miata ND did 0-60 in 5.9- as well as my stock MazdaSpeed 3. That is more than enough to keep up or get ahead of traffic.
I think it's best not to get caught up in numbers. While the 0-60 of lets say a miata or a brz/86 are the same or maybe even slightly better, they certainly don't feel that way!
The FiST feels faster than it actually is, and to me that is more important. The low end grunt of that little turbo helps a ton!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sell the ST or Mustang GT?
Pop that question in a Fiesta ST forum, you'll get Fiesta ST as an answer.
Pop that question in a Mustang GT forum, you'll get Mustang GT as an answer.

From your initial post, it sounds like you've made up your mind on the GT.

Personally and for my driving habits, I never have and never will trust automatic transmissions. You can romp on a man-trans all day everyday and not have to worry about hurting it. Do that to an automatic and they automatically take a sh*t at some point down the road. /opinion

EDIT: Of course there are a LOT of people who can't really drive a manual shift properly who would disagree; blaming the trans rather than their own abuses like clutch-drops, missed shifts, rocking at stop-lights, using the trans to slow down instead of the brakes, etc, etc, etc...