Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hotchkis swaybars

koozy

3000 Post Club
LOL, sales picked up for the bar since this thread started. Lurkers to this thread just aren't saying they jumped in on it.

My guess is Hotchkis has been sitting on their stock for some time and need to unload some of it fast at a significant discount to move it out, even under cutting their distributors.

Okay, I got suckered in also, twist my arm already...purchased last night, shipping today, waiting for tracking number...

koozy

3000 Post Club
The rain let up, so I had a chance to get the bar on. I had to be creative working by myself on my back trying to hold up a 10lb. bar, while also trying to attach the mounting hardware for each side, but it was totally doable and I was able to do it without using ramps as noted in the instructions. I think they suggest that to be able to line up the shock bolts through the sway bar mount, shock and to the attachment nut, but it's not necessary. I just used my jack to lift and lower the torsion beam simulating load how ever much needed to get the bolts to slide in. I followed everything else in the instructions, just no ramps even though I have them.

Everything lined up perfectly and even cleared my no_pistons evap guard. I'm also still able to use my jack to lift from the rear torsion beam without issues.

Last edited:

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can one of you folks comment on how this affects daily spirited driving? Lots of talk but little review so far. I've always felt that any stiffening down low helps our cars, but the factory setup is so balanced I hate to add parts unless they are proven to make improvements.

Thanks.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can one of you folks comment on how this affects daily spirited driving? Lots of talk but little review so far. I've always felt that any stiffening down low helps our cars, but the factory setup is so balanced I hate to add parts unless they are proven to make improvements.

Thanks.
The factory suspension of my 2015 was well balanced and very entertaining in the canyons with stock tires. Upgraded to coil-overs that have 5k (280#) front and 3k (168#) springs and the balance shifted to mild understeer. The Hotchkis was one of the changes to my suspension setup to correct handling back towards neutral. (I would still be using the Hotchkis if it fits with the Verus diffuser.)

Interesting tidbit: Factory 15' springs were 171# front, 143# rear (54.4% front, 45.6% rear, of total spring weight). This resulted in a neutral-handling FF car with 60/40 forward weight bias. [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] 's post on another thread shows the 17'+ uses softer 154#/131# springs for similar total spring weight ratios (54.0% front, 45.0% rear). The 17'+ also has added front and rear roll stiffness. (@Truth in Ruin mentioned handling differences between his 16' vs 17'.) My 280/168 coil-over springs setup is 62.5% front, 37.5% rear. Without other suspension changes, this resulted in mild understeer.

If you want the rear end to be more "lively", then yes, try the Hotchkis.

There is one negative to the Hotchkis (Eibach, more so). The 10.2 lbs is added unsprung weight. [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION], Had to address the weight...[poke][histerical])

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Ordered one to try on my 17 hs autocross setup. Will be running it with custom valved and degassed konis. I think it might be bit much with the stiffer rear beam though. For the price was hard to pass up.

koozy

3000 Post Club
There is one negative to the Hotchkis (Eibach, more so). The 10.2 lbs is added unsprung weight. [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION], Had to address the weight...[poke][histerical])
And I still carry the spare and have the stock hood prop and heavy OE battery emoji23]

Does not bother me honestly, it’s a street car. It’s just a Fiesta LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
And I still carry the spare and have the stock hood prop and heavy OE battery emoji23]

Does not bother me honestly, it’s a street car. It’s just a Fiesta LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha. I need to do the driver weight reduction mod. Imagine what losing 30lbs would do!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The factory suspension of my 2015 was well balanced and very entertaining in the canyons with stock tires. Upgraded to coil-overs that have 5k (280#) front and 3k (168#) springs and the balance shifted to mild understeer. The Hotchkis was one of the changes to my suspension setup to correct handling back towards neutral. (I would still be using the Hotchkis if it fits with the Verus diffuser.)

Interesting tidbit: Factory 15' springs were 171# front, 143# rear (54.4% front, 45.6% rear, of total spring weight). This resulted in a neutral-handling FF car with 60/40 forward weight bias. [MENTION=235]koozy[/MENTION] 's post on another thread shows the 17'+ uses softer 154#/131# springs for similar total spring weight ratios (54.0% front, 45.0% rear). The 17'+ also has added front and rear roll stiffness. (@Truth in Ruin mentioned handling differences between his 16' vs 17'.) My 280/168 coil-over springs setup is 62.5% front, 37.5% rear. Without other suspension changes, this resulted in mild understeer.

If you want the rear end to be more "lively", then yes, try the Hotchkis.

Hmm thank you Danny and Koozy for the spring rate info . I intend to call ST tomorrow to find out the spring rates on my coils. Hope to install them this week. Like I mentioned earlier having the stiffer front bar and rear torsion beam it will be interesting to see if I need the Hotchkiss.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered one! Going to install this along with my Bilstein B14 PSS setup in a couple of weeks.