Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will weather affect e-tuning?

I just got my MRX turbo kit installed and now it's time to tune. I'm in Chicago and can't expect consistently decent weather until June. Like stated in the title, will weather have a large effect on my end result? If I were to tune now or early spring would my tune be all wonky in the summer?
Thanks for the help, guys.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes weather will effect your vehicle due to it being Turbo charged. Colder air is more dense than hot air everyday of the week. One thing to make sure is that you have a large enough intercooler to help pull heat away from the Turbo to keep it within its efficiency range that it operates the best at. When the Turbo gets too hot that can zap as much as 30whp from your overall performance. This is why you have a larger than stock intercooler to resist heat soak over the Stock unit which is mediocre at best for the stock snail. Methanol injection is another form of keeping the incoming air charge cooler than ambient Temp....but if your not paying attention to the Meth via gauge or other means and the controller quits working......Boom goes the dynamite....Engine will take a hit. This is why id rather run Aux. Fuel either in the Throttle body or 4 port Aux. fuel. With either of these you can put safety devices in place such as Stratifieds Guardian angel will notify you of failure of methanol or Aux fuel to help you from detonating. I'm sure others will chime in...but this is what I know from previous exp.....Good luck & enjoy! [rockon]

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Yes weather will effect your vehicle due to it being Turbo charged. Colder air is more dense than hot air everyday of the week. One thing to make sure is that you have a large enough intercooler to help pull heat away from the Turbo to keep it within its efficiency range that it operates the best at. When the Turbo gets too hot that can zap as much as 30whp from your overall performance. This is why you have a larger than stock intercooler to resist heat soak over the Stock unit which is mediocre at best for the stock snail. Methanol injection is another form of keeping the incoming air charge cooler than ambient Temp....but if your not paying attention to the Meth via gauge or other means and the controller quits working......Boom goes the dynamite....Engine will take a hit. This is why id rather run Aux. Fuel either in the Throttle body or 4 port Aux. fuel. With either of these you can put safety devices in place such as Stratifieds Guardian angel will notify you of failure of methanol or Aux fuel to help you from detonating. I'm sure others will chime in...but this is what I know from previous exp.....Good luck & enjoy! [rockon]
All supporting mods are in such as IC, intake, catted DP, catback, colder plugs, etc... The question I should have asked is, if I get a custom e-tune now will I have to get it re-tuned in the summer?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
All supporting mods are in such as IC, intake, catted DP, catback, colder plugs, etc... The question I should have asked is, if I get a custom e-tune now will I have to get it re-tuned in the summer?
You shouldn't have to....I run Gen2 GTX2860r and got it tuned in the late fall so I'm going test my Bravoalpha intercooler to its limits. it cant hurt to have your tuner check stuff out either just for shits.[strongman]

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
When I got my tune, I made certain to finalize it when it was 90+ outside for a worst case scenario. The tuner had to keep pulling timing to get rid of knock. When I load one of those earlier tunes with current temps (near freezing) all the knock is gone.

Edit: as a result, my plotted WHP is quite a bit lower than what alot of folks get with a similar setup to mine. I am hoping it will translate to a longer lifespan of components.

It honestly all depends on how the tune is setup, there isn't a reason the tune couldn't be setup to run year round. That's one of the biggest strong points of Ford's tuning strategy, it is designed to work in various conditions and fuel qualities. If your tune is setup with all those strategies in mind then it should be fine, if it isn't then it might need adjusting when it gets into the hotter months.

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
I went with Tune + and purchased the unlimited as Adam said he would touch it up in the summer.

TemecFist

Easiest way to do this is to have the car tuned in the summer (preferably one of the hottest days possible). Then it should be just fine when it gets cold out. This is how I tuned mine. A "hot weather" tune would be safer and better in the cold, then a "cold weather" tune in the heat of summer.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Easiest way to do this is to have the car tuned in the summer (preferably one of the hottest days possible). Then it should be just fine when it gets cold out. This is how I tuned mine. A "hot weather" tune would be safer and better in the cold, then a "cold weather" tune in the heat of summer.
But as we all know colder air is more denser than hot air and you can generate more power due to this fact![thankyou]

If you got an e-tune in the summer, wouldn't the ECU compensate for the colder weather months anyway and increase timing?