Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is there a reason most Fiesta ST owners don't run a short ram intake?

V_2

I have a MAP intake strictly for the noise aesthetic, my intercooler seems to be doing a fine job keeping charge temps close enough to ambient. I can also high-five my gearbox from above due to all the opened up space, if the mood should ever strike.

I ended up the following:

Mountune Full induction kit
RAMAIR crossover tube
WHOOSH turbo inlet elbow

Definite increase in noise over the factory setup (not obnoxious at all)
I located the cold air pickup behind the foglamp area

I have never understood why short air intakes exist. Why bypass the closed factory box and introduce hotter air into the system?

Look into a big mouth to compliment your stock air box. That’s what I have and I’m at about 32 lbs of air and that’s with a cat still in place. Plenty of air.
Would you say this is the case also with a big turbo? I’ve read a lot that people keep the stock air box with drop in filter, but it’s always in regards to stock or hybrid turbo. Personally I don’t see the need for CAI unless you want more noise and an unnoticeable increase in performance if any.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could also opt for a closed, factory style airbox, like the Ford ST200, or it's metal base equivalent, the Mountune, which offer cold air via a hose ducted to the outside airflow in some way, IF you do not 'need' the extra noise. [wink]

(Albeit I hear a little more GFB DV 'chirping' with my ST200 at times, even with the factory snail, and THICK OEM Motorcraft paper filter, which I never noticed before on the full depth factory air box.)

I will stick with this 'box even if I ever (IF ever) go to ANY size turbo in the future.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You could also opt for a closed, factory style airbox, like the Ford ST200, or it's metal base equivalent, the Mountune, which offer cold air via a hose ducted to the outside airflow in some way, IF you do not 'need' the extra noise. [wink]

(Albeit I hear a little more GFB DV 'chirping' with my ST200 at times, even with the factory snail, and THICK OEM Motorcraft paper filter, which I never noticed before on the full depth factory air box.)

I will stick with this 'box even if I ever (IF ever) go to ANY size turbo in the future.
Ditto*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Crv

I run the mountune with some of that gold heat shielding tape Ron sells-

Speaking of 2J-what about that cowl intake, or is that the one you’re referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Would you say this is the case also with a big turbo? I’ve read a lot that people keep the stock air box with drop in filter, but it’s always in regards to stock or hybrid turbo. Personally I don’t see the need for CAI unless you want more noise and an unnoticeable increase in performance if any.
Big turbo might have more air flow, likely, but I don't know. But still an open CAI is bad for any situation - it just introduces hot air and makes noise.

Basically getting my 2017 Fiesta ST ready for Cobb Stage 2. Pieced together my own "kit" consisting of a depo intercoolers, cpe rmm and a Spectre intake I picked up used on eBay. I'm pretty it's a good fit but I don't see anyone talking about Spectre intakes for our cars or short ram intakes in general and I was wondering why.

Here's the exact one I got. It was cheap but didn't come with a heat shield so I'll have to get one fabricated

https://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9054/10002/-1

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
I probably do a few pulls with the stock box, data log air intake temps, boost pressure, charge air temps and maybe a few other things
would install spectre and use the AP to do a few pulls and then compare the data logs with stock intake. Just to see.
Probably within the same hour or so weather and stuff remain similar.

I'm willing to bet air intake and charge air temps get a lot higher after the first pull with the short ram over the stock box. But idk, I'm no engineer, it would just be a fun little flawed science project.

Probably.

I think most options besides a filter or ST200 option are snake oil...

The REAL cold air intake is the 2J Racing shorty intake which is mounted by the cowl - truly cold air.
Apparently that intake causes a weird boost pressure drop off towards then end of a pull. Source is a failed fiesta video from the Tune+ youtube.

I have never understood why short air intakes exist. Why bypass the closed factory box and introduce hotter air into the system?

Look into a big mouth to compliment your stock air box. That’s what I have and I’m at about 32 lbs of air and that’s with a cat still in place. Plenty of air.
I wondered that a while back too and came across this engineering explained video 👍🏼

View: https://youtu.be/ytmKry_ciOA

Intuit

3000 Post Club
@TyphoonFiST - It is interesting to see that there is at least one scenario (low RPM) where the HAI/SRI performed better better than a true CAI. On an unlimited budget I suppose one could employ a hybrid system. Low-RPM, high engine load (which mans low vacuum) a valve would pull from HAI/SRI. Other conditions would pull CAI. But would the benefits outweigh the added weight?

@TyphoonFiST - It is interesting to see that there is at least one scenario (low RPM) where the HAI/SRI performed better better than a true CAI. On an unlimited budget I suppose one could employ a hybrid system. Low-RPM, high engine load (which mans low vacuum) a valve would pull from HAI/SRI. Other conditions would pull CAI. But would the benefits outweigh the added weight?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
This wouldn't work unless the system was totally sealed, preventing air from getting into the cold air section from the short ram side. Even not looking at the budget side of things, it seems nonsensical.

I'd be better off just getting a new filter for the stock one than installing this then it sounds like?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
Don’t even touch the filter. Most dry or oiled aftermarket filters don’t provide a meaningful difference in airflow, even on naturally aspirated engines. On our cars, the turbo will pull as much air as it needs to, provided you swap your stock paper filter in a timely manner there is literally no quantifiable benefit to buying a K&N or similar filter. They do let measurably more contamination in, and your turbo will bear the brunt of that extra dust in.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
This wouldn't work unless the system was totally sealed, preventing air from getting into the cold air section from the short ram side. Even not looking at the budget side of things, it seems nonsensical.
Maybe you misunderstood, but I mentioned that MagnetiseST. 🙂

You mean because he made power with it and I said that it drops boost pressure up high?
Nah, TyphoonFIST understood. The article was an incomplete teaser for the followup. Kind of like watching a Terminator movie only to have them cut you off, right after the Terminator arrives in 1984. 😉