Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is there a reason most Fiesta ST owners don't run a short ram intake?

Basically getting my 2017 Fiesta ST ready for Cobb Stage 2. Pieced together my own "kit" consisting of a depo intercoolers, cpe rmm and a Spectre intake I picked up used on eBay. I'm pretty it's a good fit but I don't see anyone talking about Spectre intakes for our cars or short ram intakes in general and I was wondering why.

Here's the exact one I got. It was cheap but didn't come with a heat shield so I'll have to get one fabricated

https://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9054/10002/-1

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
The stock airbox flows better than aftermarket options and provides cold air, not hot under hood air.

The ST200 airbox is the ideal upgrade as it has a second opening for fresh air at the bottom of the box.
I'd be better off just getting a new filter for the stock one than installing this then it sounds like?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I'd be better off just getting a new filter for the stock one than installing this then it sounds like?

Probably.

I think most options besides a filter or ST200 option are snake oil...

The REAL cold air intake is the 2J Racing shorty intake which is mounted by the cowl - truly cold air.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club

Pretty much. The factory box is not really restrictive once a hi-po filter is added.

Cone filters add noise and style points if not blocked off from the underhood heat.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Probably.

I think most options besides a filter or ST200 option are snake oil...

The REAL cold air intake is the 2J Racing shorty intake which is mounted by the cowl - truly cold air.
I thought I saw people swapping out our stock filters for cone styles. Since I only paid $60 for it can I just pop the filter off and install that portion?

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I thought I saw people swapping out our stock filters for cone styles. Since I only paid $60 for it can I just pop the filter off and install that portion?

Don’t think so, the stock box uses a flat filter and if you put the cone filter on the end it’s opening it up to under hood hot air again.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club

Im currently running an AFE cone filter on an adapter without the heat shield. It adds some cool intake sounds, but probably doesnt do much for power.

I have a Green/Cobb filter for my factory box as well.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Im currently running an AFE cone filter on an adapter without the heat shield. It adds some cool intake sounds, but probably doesnt do much for power.

I have a Green/Cobb filter for my factory box as well.

I knew the intake wouldn't do much just didnt want to jump to stage 2 while skimping in other areas that might cause problems. Should have done a bit more research before pulling the trigger though

jeff

2000 Post Club
I have never understood why short air intakes exist. Why bypass the closed factory box and introduce hotter air into the system?

Look into a big mouth to compliment your stock air box. That’s what I have and I’m at about 32 lbs of air and that’s with a cat still in place. Plenty of air.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Many moons ago I had a short ram intake on my '90 Nissan Maxima. It noticeably improved the throttle response because it replaced a lot of convoluted plastic between the throttle body and the intake point. For that car, I think it made sense, but the FiST's intake path is much more straight-forward and I'm happy settling on a Green filter.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have never understood why short air intakes exist. Why bypass the closed factory box and introduce hotter air into the system?

Look into a big mouth to compliment your stock air box. That’s what I have and I’m at about 32 lbs of air and that’s with a cat still in place. Plenty of air.
I believe it depends on the factory setup. My brother's 2005 Ford Focus has this lifetime air filter setup it's crazy restrictive once it gets some mileage on it, and you can't replace it, so an aftermarket intake was the best solution it's a full cold air though. My 2010 Ford Focus has a short ram style but it kind of goes to the fender area. When it's cold outside it definitely has more power for sure, but on a hot day when you're stuck in traffic you can feel some heat soak. Some Vehicles just have terrible stock airbox setups. My parents had a motorhome that literally had a cover over the stock intake to help reduce noise, motorhomes are already loud as hell made no sense I threw that thing away. If your exhaust manifold is up front I would be concerned about hot air. I have a ST200 airbox on the fiesta because I think it's pretty cool that Ford made a performance part. To each their own I say do what makes you happy. Some people just want the noise.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Your best bet other then the ST200 or stock setup is the 2j intake, CPE intake, or the ITG intake. Other then that all others are eh. I'm sure gains between them are negligible but for people wanting everything out of their car, short ram intakes are poopy

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Many moons ago I had a short ram intake on my '90 Nissan Maxima. It noticeably improved the throttle response because it replaced a lot of convoluted plastic between the throttle body and the intake point. For that car, I think it made sense, but the FiST's intake path is much more straight-forward and I'm happy settling on a Green filter.
long live maximas!

Though I was a 4th gen guy myself, had NA, stillen v1 and v2 supercharged cars. I <3 the VQ30

With the FiST it isn't adding anything, I just wanted to hear neat turbo sounds because it makes my commutes a lil more spicy.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I feel like if you build an enclosure for a good short ram you can still utilize the stock scoop / big mouth and gain the same benefits as if it were a stock box. I just dont like panel filters.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I find Cobb has the most logical and tolerable solution for our platform. They replace all the OEM piping (especially that accordion) with smooth, larger diameter plastic piping. The plastic heat soaks way less than the aluminum most systems use. Also, their cone filter lives INSIDE the stock air box, sealed away from under hood heat. Did it add HP? Who the hell knows. But i did feel a slightly quicker spool and a bit more oomph on the top end. It's not at all worth what they are asking for it...which is why i bought it used. But I started with an induction hose and a panel filter which is the best budget setup imo.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I swapped back on the stock filter box/Green filter. I had swapped to a AFE cone filter and a filter adapter back a few months ago when i ran my car at the track without a headlight. Been lazy and hadnt swapped back til now.

Gonna see how much different the car runs getting true fresh air vs hot underhood air.

I agree with TDavis and what others have said.

With that said, I went with an Injen short ram intake and am very happy with my decision.

I wanted to get a more aggressive intake sound without spending a lot of money, and I found a used one on here locally for a good price. I also determined that paired with an aftermarket intercooler, I shouldn't worry about negative heat effects.

Engine air intake temps can only be as cool as the ambient air outside. An efficient intercooler will bring the temps down to ambient regardless of whether you have a short-ram or cold air. So ultimately the only heat difference between SRI/CAI will be the temp of the air going to the turbo.

I also think that once the car is moving, you're not going to get any difference in intake temps between SRI/CAI. It's sitting in traffic on a hot day or at the strip that is where the difference really takes hold.

It could certainly be butt-dyno-bias, but I noticed a snappier throttle response with the Injen despite the inherent efficiencies of the stock box, and with my aftermarket intercooler, I've never noticed/seen any difference in performance or intake temps on hot summer days compared to stock intake w/ aftermarket intercooler.

So the smiles-per-dollar is I think still makes it a good choice. But as others have said, if you want to get the most performance for your money, def go for the CAI options. For my plans personally, I weighted my decisions more towards lowering cost of my build and spending another $200 on a CAI wasn't necessary for me.

Your best bet other then the ST200 or stock setup is the 2j intake, CPE intake, or the ITG intake. Other then that all others are eh. I'm sure gains between them are negligible but for people wanting everything out of their car, short ram intakes are poopy

PhoenixM3

Basically getting my 2017 Fiesta ST ready for Cobb Stage 2. Pieced together my own "kit" consisting of a depo intercoolers, cpe rmm and a Spectre intake I picked up used on eBay. I'm pretty it's a good fit but I don't see anyone talking about Spectre intakes for our cars or short ram intakes in general and I was wondering why.

Here's the exact one I got. It was cheap but didn't come with a heat shield so I'll have to get one fabricated

https://www.jegs.com/i/Spectre/865/9054/10002/-1

I believe 2J Racing’s intake is the only “short ram” intake, but at a huge increase in noise.