Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What is a good price for this new 2018 Fiesta ST?

Hello All! I am looking to buy a Ford Fiesta ST and wanted to run a price by the knowledgeable people here for an opinion.

2018 Fiesta ST (100% stripped no options at all)

MSRP: $22,160
Listed with all rebates: $16,372
Discount: $5788

Now realistically I will not quality for 1/2 of those rebates. This dealer is over an hour from my house. I have been there already and drove the car. I told the dealer I am ready to buy right now if he gives it to me for the $16,372 advertised price (have not heard back yet). I told him I know I do not qualify for all of the rebates but I do not care, it is that price or I walk. That vehicle has been on their lot for a long time. I also told him if it is just rebates they are offering off of MSRP I may as well buy from my local Ford dealer 10 minutes away.

I think I "qualify" for:

$2500 Customer Cash
$500 College student

They did not itemize out the rest of the rebates so I am not sure what else is there.

Realistically, what can I expect to get this for?

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I think you need to stand firm on your price, they will sell. Are you doing a trade-in ? That gives them more room to work out a deal. They can offer a better deal. Unfortunately Ford doesn't help dealers out with cars that don't sell, so they need to use the trade-in to get more wiggle room for you.
GM does crazy subsidies for their dealers on cars that don't move , huge discounts if you time it right.

Btw, yes 16k is a good price to pay. But if I were you I would find one with Recaros for 17/18k. Well worth it! It really changes the car with the Recaros. And I'm a cheap guy, I usually buy cars that are stripped-down.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
I think you need to stand firm on your price, they will sell. Are you doing a trade-in ? That gives them more room to work out a deal. They can offer a better deal. Unfortunately Ford doesn't help dealers out with cars that don't sell, so they need to use the trade-in to get more wiggle room for you.
GM does crazy subsidies for their dealers on cars that don't move , huge discounts if you time it right.

Btw, yes 16k is a good price to pay. But if I were you I would find one with Recaros for 17/18k. Well worth it! It really changes the car with the Recaros. And I'm a cheap guy, I usually buy cars that are stripped-down.
Thanks for the quick response! They are not interested in my trade, a 1999 Miata with 160k miles (fair condition at best). I will stick to my guns but if they come back and say $17k should I jump on it? We drove the Recaro one and since we race in rally races, the seat will not go low enough for the helmet to fit but it does on the non-recaro one.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the quick response! They are not interested in my trade, a 1999 Miata with 160k miles (fair condition at best). I will stick to my guns but if they come back and say $17k should I jump on it? We drove the Recaro one and since we race in rally races, the seat will not go low enough for the helmet to fit but it does on the non-recaro one.
Ahhh, did it have a sunroof? If you're wearing a helmet, I hear Recaros and NO sunroof is the way to go. Although, that is a harder combination to find.

Interesting that they're not wanting your trade-in , seems odd actually. A dealer will except ANY trade-in to make a sale. It's part of their business model.
I had an old minivan that had 8 previous owners and what the biggest POS on the planet with 180k miles, and the dealer wanted to take it. Granted they will say whatever they can to lowball you of course, but they will always work with you on it.

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
Ahhh, did it have a sunroof? If you're wearing a helmet, I hear Recaros and NO sunroof is the way to go. Although, that is a harder combination to find.

Interesting that they're not wanting your trade-in , seems odd actually. A dealer will except ANY trade-in to make a sale. It's part of their business model.
I had an old minivan that had 8 previous owners and what the biggest POS on the planet with 180k miles, and the dealer wanted to take it. Granted they will say whatever they can to lowball you of course, but they will always work with you on it.
Yes good point it did have a sunroof and I think you are correct all the Recaro packages had a sunroof. I suppose we could order one without it. Have to see what they come back with.

They would not even make an offer on the trade. They never actually saw it though we sent the VIN and description via email. Plus the trade value is $1200 but realistically we can probably get $3k for it. So I prefer to sell it to private party instead. Someone is coming today to hopefully buy it.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
OK - So I did not hear back from that dealer but spoke with another one that will sell me a 2019 (stripped) for $16,926 (+ tax/tags/etc). Does that sound like a good deal or can I do better? That is basically giving me all the rebates even the ones I do not qualify for.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OK - So I did not hear back from that dealer but spoke with another one that will sell me a 2019 (stripped) for $16,926 (+ tax/tags/etc). Does that sound like a good deal or can I do better? That is basically giving me all the rebates even the ones I do not qualify for.
A base for $16,926 is a great deal. You will not get much cheaper. Also the Recaro option is not linked to the sunroof option. They are seperate options and dealers can order the cars with whatever options they pick.
A linked option would be the Ebony wheels red calipers. Or the heated mirrors with the Recaros. Sunroof and nav are unlinked options.

Now it just so happens a lot of dealers wll order the cars with Recaros , Sunroof, nav and black wheels as a fully optioned car to put on the lot to drive people into base cars for cheaper.

Also finding a car with Recaros for 17-18k is a needle in a haystack as most dealers will want more.
I have mentioned this before and I am in California where for the most part the cars sell for more.
Though I managed to get my Orange Spice ( option color more money) Smoke Storm Recaro, Ebony wheels for $19678 before tax and lic. That was $5400 off MSRP. Its also a great deal.

Any Recaro equipped option color car under 20k is a good deal. Any base model going for under 18k is a good deal.

A Recaro equipped car for 17k is pretty unheard of as that would put the base at 15k . Any dealer offering a car that cheap should be looked at closely as to how they are structuring that deal aka all the rebates stacked that you probably don’t qualify for.
Or a higher interest rate loan through the dealer which they make money off to offset the low sales price. Also be aware some people take thoses loans thinking they will just go refinance only to find a clause in the loan that does not allow refinance.

Oh and as far as trade in goes don’t! Unless you have no other choice i.e. upside down on the loan and trying to trade off negative equity.

Trades work against you. Its the nature of the beast. The dealer works it so the trade in value given you gets offset somewhere in the purchase.

Trade ins give you an imaginary price advantage not a real one. For the most part you can always sell your used car for more on the open market than what a dealer will give you on trade value wise.

For instance I own a 2012 Focus besides my FiST i could have used for it trade in. At the time it 65k on it. The most a dealer would give me is 5k . I could have sold the car for $6500. Now it has 73k and the most a dealer will give me is 4k- 4500. Now I can still sell it for around 5500-6200.
So I am still ahead.

Hope this helps.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Oh and as far as trade in goes don’t! Unless you have no other choice i.e. upside down on the loan and trying ...

Trades work against you. Its the nature of the beast. The dealer works it so the trade in value given you gets offset somewhere in the purchase.

Trade ins give you an imaginary price advantage not a real one. For the most part you can always sell your used car for more on the open market than what a dealer will give you on trade value wise.
That is NOT a general for sure. It depends what you are trading in. Cars that are junk or unpopular and hard to sell, you can actually do good with the dealer.... it also depends on the car you are buying and on the car manufacturer and on how "hard up" the dealer is.
I got double I would've got on a private sale for my POS minivan.
And when I traded in my challenger, I did really good. In fact, one dealer was able to offer me $3000 more than another dealer for the same car. The challenger was a hard car to sell in my area. Not many people want them with manual transmissions and orange, lol. I followed that car after I traded it in, and it took the dealer well over a year to sell.

Also, you don't pay tax on the trade-in amount, that can be huge! When I bought my wrx, it was tax free because I got more for the challenger than the WRX cost. 8.875% (NY) of 30k is over $2,600

In the case of the OP's Miata, I would try to sell it privately at first, as that car is pretty easy to flip. But if time is of the essence, and you catch the dealer at the right time, you can trade in no problem and do good.

Last edited:
OP
F
Thread Starter #9
Sold the Miata today for $2500 and just got back from the dealer with the new ST! Totally drained details tomorrow.... thanks all...

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Sold the Miata today for $2500 and just got back from the dealer with the new ST! Totally drained details tomorrow.... thanks all...
HOLY shitballs, THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! Congrats!

Pictures when you get settled in with her... yes, a car is a "she" in my world, lol.