Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold Air Intake getting hot and dirty.

Clickbait? maybe, but I'm looking for some advice and info about my current air intake setup.

I definitely want to keep it, since it's a "free upgrade", but I don't like how the filter is just hanging out inside the engine compartment.

So:

Does anyone know where I can get a Intake box without the pipes etc?
I haven't found anything online that has that. I'm seeing a bunch of full kits for the intake and cross over pipe etc.

I think I am going to go with a big mouth air intake, because I like the idea of the engine getting its air from outside the compartment, instead of inside.

I have a non ST OEM box, so I can use the S shaped intake pipe / hose.
If I get a intake box I'm sure I can fit it together.
It should work with a big mouth without too many issues, especially since I suspect the previous owner did the "fitting" work for me already.

How would the big mouth, with a after market intake box affect the tune on my car, if at all?
What options do I have if I don't want to throw out the MAP intake?

Have you ever seen someone make a intake box out of cardboard? jk.

Thoughts?

Attachments

My vote would be to put the stock airbox back in with a stock filter. That set up is not doing anything good for you.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
If you want to keep the open intake I'd just clean the filter and add a filter sock (or replace the filter)

If you want an enclosed box: ST200 box w/performance panel filter + silicone induction hose. The only other enclosed set up that will keep things clean is the cp-e intake and possibly the Mishimoto.

I don't know much about the non ST air box without looking inside
it could be a restriction since it was not designed for the ST / 1.6L turbo

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #5
If you want to keep the open intake I'd just clean the filter and add a filter sock (or replace the filter)

If you want an enclosed box: ST200 box w/performance panel filter + silicone induction hose. The only other enclosed set up that will keep things clean is the cp-e intake and possibly the Mishimoto.

I don't know much about the non ST air box without looking inside
it could be a restriction since it was not designed for the ST / 1.6L turbo

I saw that short box on your site, but I would rather just keep the Intake.
Definitely need to find a way to keep the filter cleaner though.
The intake doesn't even sound the same from when I bought the car in late November. [8]

The Non ST box seems to just have the hose pointing towards the intake manifold instead of at a angle towards the back of the compartment. Doesn't have a MAF sensor hole either.
The filter might be a different shape too, which means non performance filters.

I was thinking of jury rigging the non ST box to the MAP pipe, but it just doesn't seem like it would be a good idea.
The Non ST box would have the MAP pipe stabbing into it. Id have to cut a bigger hole for it.
All that just to use a non ST air filter.

Might just wash it and put a sock on it like you mentioned.
Maybe Ill keep an eye out for a used after market intake box.

OP
mk_not_a_robot
Thread Starter #6
My vote would be to put the stock airbox back in with a stock filter. That set up is not doing anything good for you.
The MAP filter probably isn't doing anything atm. I am wondering about later on. I want to push my car to 250 - 275 whp.
Might make a difference there.

But I haven't done enough research to cut through all the hype around these things.

Dunno.

I have a MAP intake with a Fswerks heat shield. Idk if it helps but it seems to keep the filter a little cleaner. I also have the big mouth feeding it air.

https://imgur.com/a/a5tmmK2
where did you find that shield for it, I can only find it with the entire intake system. i have a map and just want the shield

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Zormecteon

have you looked at the mountune induction intake? The box goes into the stock spot, and comes with a tube to take are from outside of the engine compartment (the tube routes down to the front of the front fender). ... ..

Maybe you've already seen this and rejected it, but it may be new to you?

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Full-Induction-Upgrade-Kit-Fiesta-ST-p/2364-int-blk.htm

or

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-Induction-Upgrade-Kit-Fiesta-ST-2014-18-p/2364-cais-aa.htm