Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clicking After New Blend Door Motor

SrsBsns

About 2 weeks ago, I heard the dreaded CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK after turning off my HVAC. When the HVAC is on, it's fine, but when I turn the system off, CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK...

Anyways, I ordered a cheap one from Rock Auto and installed it yesterday. Started the car up and cycled through heat/ac, different vents, ect... and everything was fine. However, I turned off the system and the clicking is still there.

It's a new part, so I'm assuming that the part I installed is fine. Is there anything else which could be causing a clicking sound like this that's tied to HVAC?

My other question would be about the gear on the back of the motor. Does it need to be aligned in a specific way? I didn't align it but it fit just when when I installed it.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
About 2 weeks ago, I heard the dreaded CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK after turning off my HVAC. When the HVAC is on, it's fine, but when I turn the system off, CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK...

Anyways, I ordered a cheap one from Rock Auto and installed it yesterday. Started the car up and cycled through heat/ac, different vents, ect... and everything was fine. However, I turned off the system and the clicking is still there.

It's a new part, so I'm assuming that the part I installed is fine. Is there anything else which could be causing a clicking sound like this that's tied to HVAC?

My other question would be about the gear on the back of the motor. Does it need to be aligned in a specific way? I didn't align it but it fit just when when I installed it.
It fits only one way. So, if you managed to secure all 3 screws, it must have been properly aligned. My understanding is that there are 3 actuators, but the one that tends to fail is the one behind the steering column.

It is possible that the part you installed is defective. So, I'd spring for another $12 or examine the one you installed closely (having taken it out first, naturally)

OP
SrsBsns

SrsBsns

Thread Starter #4
Mine only had 2 screws. T20's... one at the top and one at the bottom. It's the one behind the steering column.

Where are the other two, and do they go bad frequently (and can it make the same noise)?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Look at the thread about the actuator on the forum. There are schematics, I believe. The first time mine was replaced under warranty by the dealer, and the SA said that there are 3 of these under the dash, and seemed to imply that they all make the same noise if they go bad. But, it would appear that the overwhelming majority of failures are linked to the one you just replaced. I’m on my third one.