Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST vs Veloster N

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There's something about the styling with regard to Velocitor N and Civic R that's a real turn-off.

Rear end could be spiced-up a bit as far as lighting on the FiST, but for the sides and front, they just nailed it with the FoST RS, FiST and FoST. (in order of best to less best) FoSTs are too wide/big for my preferences/tastes though. FiST just fits... it's just right.

I don't have any "weird" tastes like riser wings. V-N and C-TR just have a weird and kooky appearance.
You sized it up pretty well. I totally agree with damn near everything you wrote.

Mikey456

There's something about the styling with regard to Velocitor N and Civic R that's a real turn-off.

Rear end could be spiced-up a bit as far as lighting on the FiST, but for the sides and front, they just nailed it with the FoST RS, FiST and FoST. (in order of best to less best) FoSTs are too wide/big for my preferences/tastes though. FiST just fits... it's just right.

I don't have any "weird" tastes like riser wings. V-N and C-TR just have a weird and kooky appearance.
I agree with that. As far as hatchback designs go, I actually like the look of the Toyota Corolla hatch with it’s sharp lines and an aggressive look... too bad there is not a performance variant. The new Renault Cup looks great too (too bad we don’t get those here).

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Get it sprayed because Ford paint fucking sucks. It's part of why if I buy a new one it will stay in the garage all winter. I got a part repainted on my current car, the rust was back before the winter. Gotta watch out for those rubbing panels too. The rear fenders are too close to the rear bumper, paint get scratched and rust gets in. Put some automotive tape there.

There have been worst cars for rust mind you, but it seems that since Ford changed for a more eco friendly paint around 2013-2014, it became really bad. The 2012 SE I had with more than 100k KM had rock chips, but no rust at all and never sprayed. My 2014 ST got rust on the hatch and the rear fenders with less than 50k KM. Both were doing the same commute, so very similar conditions.
Thanks for the reply!
Interesting about the paint change, I am gonna research this.

I have the infamous paint chip thing on the rear hatch. I cleaned it up and put some clearcoat on it. Come spring, I will bring it to ford and have them respray and add the ppf film on it like the 2018+ have.

I will keep an eye out for rear bumper fender rubbing. Thanks for the headsup!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Keep in mind that Hyundai does have a decent 1.6T Sport version of the Elantra sedan and GT hatch, both with IRS now, but is only doing the N treatment on the Veloster in North America while Europe gets the Elantra GT called the i30 in N form.... And since often times they let Kia do their own thing a year or 2 after them that we could see the new Forte5 get a version of "N" treatment since they did do a great job on the Stinger, so we'll see. Especially since Ford and Chevy dropped their compact and subcompact hatches there could be a bit of opening in the market for a 5 door true hot hatch other than the GTI in North America. The Hyundai Elantra GT Sport has pretty conservative styling too, and Kia is often more bold so this could get interesting if Hyundai simply lets Kia drop the same 2.0T and suspension from the Veloster N into the Forte5, it would help fill a market niche.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Saw a new Veloster on the road yesterday and it looked really good. It had burnt-orange metallic paint and some two tone wheels. It looked sharp.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

If there is anyone interested in the Veloster N, there is a recent hot hatch comparison (Road and Track March/April) with the Type R and Gti. On a performance level, the car seems to be very good based on what the reviewers say.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
If there is anyone interested in the Veloster N, there is a recent hot hatch comparison (Road and Track March/April) with the Type R and Gti. On a performance level, the car seems to be very good based on what the reviewers say.
And of course Hyundai will have rebates/discounts too, so the value quotient will definitely improve at that point as well... I just find the Veloster ugly and not utility enough for me, I wish they would do a 5 door with the N treatment to truly compete against the GTI directly, like they do in Europe with the i30 (Elantra GT here). Sure, with full IRS, the Elantra GT Sport here is a great car but also looks even more conservative than a GTI to me, so I'm still holding out that maybe Kia will do their next Forte5 SX with more than just the 1.6T with ~201HP. With the Focus and Cruze out of the market they could truly fill a niche I think.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I keep cars till they're basically junkyard worthy, so it will be a bit before I buy myself a new car. If I was in the market to buy a new car for myself today I would definitely be interested in the Veloster N.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thanks for the reply!
Interesting about the paint change, I am gonna research this.

I have the infamous paint chip thing on the rear hatch. I cleaned it up and put some clearcoat on it. Come spring, I will bring it to ford and have them respray and add the ppf film on it like the 2018+ have.

I will keep an eye out for rear bumper fender rubbing. Thanks for the headsup!

Paint change is not just Ford. Its an eviromental thing pushed by good ole California adopting low VOC paint regulations. Ford like other manufacturers has switched to Water based paint because of low VOC ( read lower air emissions when sprayed and more environmentally friendly) most good Oil based paint is high VOC. There is cheap oil based low VOC paint but is garbage lol.
Thing about Water based paint is it pops like mad when sprayed well. Though it tends to be brittle and not adhere as well as oil based. Those are the issues and other manufacturers have all switched or are switching to water based paint for enviroment reasons. Ferrari has been doing it for years and a Clear Bra guy I know even jokes about it.
Apprarently modern Ferraris do not have a good paint reputation.

I am looking very hard at both Veloster N and CTR. I am trying very hard to get down a car and trade my 2018 Mustang GT and 2017 FIST. I, ideally want to combine them. The performance in between the two is what I am after, the GT is too fast while the FIST is too slow on acceleration, so combining the two equals something like the N or CTR. I also want something that is going to be high quality and less prone to defects. My previous Camaro RS and current Mustang GT both plagued with defects- the GT has the knocking, engine piston rattling. The FIST has been reliable and no defects. Pluses on the CTR- Honda reliability, great gear box, resale value, better performance. Cons- it costs more and hate, hate, hate the rear wing. No one can tell me if it can be removed. Pluses on the N- like the looks a little better, more compact, runs on regular gas (this is big for me) and lower price than CTR. Cons- not sure of reliability and it's a Hyundai. Anyone test drive a Veloster N or CTR and can compare both?

Both are hard to access cars to look at or test drive. Dealers are not close by- have to drive 100 miles or more. Some dealers do not even allow test drives on the CTR.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I am looking very hard at both Veloster N and CTR. I am trying very hard to get down a car and trade my 2018 Mustang GT and 2017 FIST. I, ideally want to combine them. The performance in between the two is what I am after, the GT is too fast while the FIST is too slow on acceleration, so combining the two equals something like the N or CTR. I also want something that is going to be high quality and less prone to defects. My previous Camaro RS and current Mustang GT both plagued with defects- the GT has the knocking, engine piston rattling. The FIST has been reliable and no defects. Pluses on the CTR- Honda reliability, great gear box, resale value, better performance. Cons- it costs more and hate, hate, hate the rear wing. No one can tell me if it can be removed. Pluses on the N- like the looks a little better, more compact, runs on regular gas (this is big for me) and lower price than CTR. Cons- not sure of reliability and it's a Hyundai. Anyone test drive a Veloster N or CTR and can compare both?

Both are hard to access cars to look at or test drive. Dealers are not close by- have to drive 100 miles or more. Some dealers do not even allow test drives on the CTR.
You know, the CTR is pretty amazing but has polarizing looks and it's pretty cool how Hyundai far has come, they have been reliable now for a good 10 years but it's been driving dynamics that's been lacking until very recently... So, Hyundai I think is the better value if you can get it at a price that is below MSRP at all, which may be possible. With the CTR, it is not only more expensive to start with but also likely still marked up and hard to get a deal on... But what's the deal with the FiST? You're here on a FiST forum, what's wrong with upgrading the FiST to be faster if that's it's main weakness? Shoot, literally an e30 tune with zero other mods really makes the car MUCH zippier, but I also understand that e85 isn't available or very convenient for everyone too...

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
The CTR has gearbox problems. 3rd gear grinds. It's something that has plagued Honda since forever. They can't seem to build a solid 6spd trans.

Oh, and it's so UGLY!

CSM

1000 Post Club

Keep in mind that there are rumors of a rear wing delete option, maybe even a base model CTR that could be in the works. There have been sightings of Honda testing a smaller rear wing on the CTR and also Honda has filed some language with NHTSA suggesting a base model may be coming... My problem with the CTR besides the wing is exactly what you mentioned: dealer markups and no test drives. You will have to travel to find one within a reasonable asking price IMO.

I think the Veloster N is pretty badass for the $29k sticker price on the performance package. I know you mentioned worried about reliability but Hyundai has one of the best warranties in the business right now. 5y/60k comprehensive and 10y/100k powertrain. That would be enough for me to put my worries away.

Also the CTR is by far the more performance oriented car. It would spank a Veloster N all over a track. But is it worth an additional $6-7k price?? Tough call.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I personally am a MUCH bigger fan of the Veloster N's brother, the I30N. Veloster has always looked a bit weird to me. Too bad America won't be getting the i30N....

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya sorry but both the Veloster N and the CTR look like ass. Veloster N looks like a Juke and a Focus mated and the baby was Veloster N. The whole rear quarter of the car looks horrible. Just like guess what? A fricken Juke!

Now on to the CTR wow oh wow said this before will say it again. Hello Honda wake the fuck up the 90’s called and they want their bad Gundam style Shogun body kit back. Oh but wait it performs. Lol amd looks like ass while doing it. No thanks.

What the hell were the Honda engineers little boys at the end of the late 90’s?
I could go on for days about this horrible dream styling.

It’s absolutely amazing even in the MK8 European Fiesta ST makeover Ford did not screw the pooch as much as either of these two companies.

Sorrry but I am sick of Veloster love on a FIESTA ST forum. Anyone dreaming of that car A: has bad taste amd B: Was just paying lip service to his or hers FiST.
IMO FiST’s are awesome little cars that one should own for at least 5 years to enjoy or even more.

This Forum is for FiST’s not Hyundaaai Veloster N BoI!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I personally am a MUCH bigger fan of the Veloster N's brother, the I30N. Veloster has always looked a bit weird to me. Too bad America won't be getting the i30N....
Well, there IS the i30 Turbo here with the Elantra GT Sport name with a 1.6T and either a 6 speed manual or actually decent 7 speed DCT available... but yeah, that's it in North America for Hyundai, no N model, but I'm holding out hope the next Forte5 SX is given some type of N treatment, whatever Hyundai allows Kia to call it, for their 5 door...

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Ya sorry but both the Veloster N and the CTR look like ass. Veloster N looks like a Juke and a Focus mated and the baby was Veloster N. The whole rear quarter of the car looks horrible. Just like guess what? A fricken Juke!

Now on to the CTR wow oh wow said this before will say it again. Hello Honda wake the fuck up the 90’s called and they want their bad Gundam style Shogun body kit back. Oh but wait it performs. Lol amd looks like ass while doing it. No thanks.

What the hell were the Honda engineers little boys at the end of the late 90’s?
I could go on for days about this horrible dream styling.

It’s absolutely amazing even in the MK8 European Fiesta ST makeover Ford did not screw the pooch as much as either of these two companies.

Sorrry but I am sick of Veloster love on a FIESTA ST forum. Anyone dreaming of that car A: has bad taste amd B: Was just paying lip service to his or hers FiST.
IMO FiST’s are awesome little cars that one should own for at least 5 years to enjoy or even more.

This Forum is for FiST’s not Hyundaaai Veloster N BoI!
LOL, I agree with your styling assessments of both cars, and also agree that OP got himself in a pickle with a FiST he thinks is too slow and a Mustang GT that is too fast. If he had only the FiST then it's easy to throw a hybrid turbo in and car is instantly no longer slow, but he does have two cars and needs to get down to one, so here he is... but you do know this IS under the proper "general automotive discussions" sub-forum, right? :)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
yeah if it was available here I would have one immediately.

I think I'd even get the dct, I wind up having to shift left handed frequently in the FiST anyways, might as well just accept that I need an auto now :|

Mikey456

yeah if it was available here I would have one immediately.

I think I'd even get the dct, I wind up having to shift left handed frequently in the FiST anyways, might as well just accept that I need an auto now :|
It alright... I’m a car guy too. Maybe u might want to try the BMW 2 series. We have a 228i and its not as aggressive as the FiST but its quick and the auto 8 spd performs. If you care about sound its best to look at 6 cylinder 240i (Not so good on gas though).

LOL, I agree with your styling assessments of both cars, and also agree that OP got himself in a pickle with a FiST he thinks is too slow and a Mustang GT that is too fast. If he had only the FiST then it's easy to throw a hybrid turbo in and car is instantly no longer slow, but he does have two cars and needs to get down to one, so here he is... but you do know this IS under the proper "general automotive discussions" sub-forum, right? :)
Yes, it's just a discussion and right now due to getting scammed by TWO body shops for over 12K on a restoration I need to downsize to one car. My FIST is my BEST car- I have 0 issues with it other than "slow". I am really leaning on cashing in on the GT, investing 3-4K in the FIST for tune, air filter, larger intercooler and bigger turbo and run E85. (I have E85 a couple miles from my house). That still will be shy of the CTR but may be close to a Veloster N's performance?