Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST vs Veloster N

I was planning to replace my 14 FiST with a 19 FiST of my desired color and drive it only in the summer and mod it to hell and back, but the Veloster N appeared and kinda threw a wrench in my plans.

While being a bit heavier, as per pretty much every reviews I've seen, it's an amazing car and checks pretty much every boxes I wanted to do with the FiST while being a bit better:
(In Canada, we only get the performance version, so no comparison with the naked model here)
Better souding exhaust -> N has active exhaust
Better suspension -> N has active suspension
More power -> N has more power (duh)
LSD -> N comes with LSD
Larger brakes -> N comes with larger brakes

The FiST has a couple of strong points:
Very easy to mod (but max safe is around N power...)
Cheaper to buy in

The difference in price between the two is less than what it would cost me to bring a FiST to N power and handling figures and my reason for considering the FiST is not because of the price, it's just one of the best car out there right now in any price bracket (though it would not be worth it if it was priced higher...)

What are your thoughts? Other than "iT's a hYuNdaI", any reason you would take a FiST over a N (on paper)?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great post. I am very impressed with the Veloster N. Honestly if I didn't have a FiST right now and were shopping the N would be high on my list for all the reasons you mentioned. I'd have to drive it and get the vibe. The only thing the Fiesta has over the N, other than costing less to modify to the same power level, is the modability. But I'm sure there will be a great market to mod the N coming soon. Really other than that it's superior to the Fiesta ST in nearly every way other than price.

So to sum up, get a Veloster N if your budget allows and if it gives you similar "feels" that the Fiesta ST does. If I were shopping as you are, I'd drive both, and if the Veloster made me feel special like the Fiesta does, I'd likely get the Veloster. If my car got totaled today, I'd likely replace it with a Veloster N. The reviews are overwhelmingly positive and point to this being a bucket list car for the enthusiast.

Business6

Budget first and see where that leads you. Otherwise it's more of a question of whether or not you want to have more of the same experience or try something similar but different. And not to say it's something too familiar, of course, but simply that it isn't like you're going from a FiST to an RS4 as these two cars are in the same category just different performance brackets. You already know how the FiST drives so why not go test drive the Veloster N? Assuming they allow it, of course.

What are your thoughts? Other than "iT's a hYuNdaI"
Blatant ignorance should result in an entirely discounted opinion.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I heard it is a possibility Hyundai may bring the i20 N to America which would compete directly with the ST in the size class.
Also a lot of the vehicles that Hyundai is making right now I think they're kicking ass in about every class. Hyundai and Mazda right now are my two favorite brands.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...esta-st-and-renault-clio-rs-ar184600.amp.html

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I might be wrong, but didnt the Veloster have some shitty rear suspension set-up that kinda kept it from being a more track friendly/enthusiast friendly?

I really like the design of the turbo model but it would never be as engaging as a FiST.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

it's not a bit heavier at 3100 lbs. it's a LOT heavier, not even in the same class of cars. It the same as my Corvette and doesn't even have a V8 to show for it.

This is all you need to see on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qtA0tRZiYo

I write it off as a hard pass.

Go GTI or Civic Si if you are willing to accept a bunch more weight. You can make anything more powerful, but it's a lot harder to make something lighter.

jeff

2000 Post Club
it's not a bit heavier at 3100 lbs. it's a LOT heavier, not even in the same class of cars. It the same as my Corvette and doesn't even have a V8 to show for it.

This is all you need to see on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qtA0tRZiYo

I write it off as a hard pass.

Go GTI or Civic Si if you are willing to accept a bunch more weight. You can make anything more powerful, but it's a lot harder to make something lighter.
HI-UN-DIE that guy is killing me...……

Good video, but to be fair they're comparing it against a near-perfect car.

Yes you are right the weight is an issue and part of the brilliance in the FiST is the weight.

That said, not all FiST buyers are going to track their car and for a daily driver the N might be better for some. As was mentioned, it has way better options, more power, and is very nice inside when compared to the Fiesta. I'd argue better reliability too based on Hyundai's record. Compare the N to the Type R, it comes up short...but compare it to most other stuff in that segment, it shines.

Again to me it would come down to driving experience/feel. It's 400 lbs heavier than the Fiesta but if the plusses make up for that and it still feels magic like the FiST does, it might be the better car for people who aren't trying to build the ultimate track machine.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Albeit that it is like comparing our rides to a base Fiesta, I was NOT all at all impressed with the base Veloster when I test drove one.

The N would have to be even MUCH greater than the base car than OUR rides are over the base Fiesta, for me to ever even consider one. ;)
(I despise the three door BS, and am not in love with the aesthetics of the rest of the car either.)

For THAT price point (especially counting in all of the stealership GOUGING which will occur), it also should come with FIXED caliper brakes, at least at the front, as well. :(

where does it shine? It maybe better than a focus inside, possible not even. A GTI kills it at the same pricepoint, the civic probably also in SI trim. It the new kid and I'm sure future generations will be better, but it's not there yet.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
where does it shine? It maybe better than a focus inside, possible not even. A GTI kills it at the same pricepoint, the civic probably also in SI trim. It the new kid and I'm sure future generations will be better, but it's not there yet.
Current GTI's are pretty soulless, if the Veloster N manages to have any level of personality that'll be a big hook. Not knocking GTI's - they're definitely very german. There's a reason why "bad" italian cars still have fans, and it's soul.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Go read some reviews. The type of auto enthusiasts who gave the Fiesta ST high marks back in 2014, instead of dismissing it, are the same ones calling the Veloster N a breakthrough car. GTI and Civic Si killing it, you haven't done much research. Again, go read around, consensus disagrees with you. No it's not there yet but for the price it competes very well with other stuff in this segment.

But that's just what I've read. I haven't driven one so I'm basing my opinions on automotive journalists that I respect. Click links to read below.

CAR AND DRIVER REVIEW

"The Veloster N keenly dives into corners and hangs on with tireless front-end grip. It approaches the limit with less understeer than the Volkswagen Golf GTI, and at a slower pace it exudes a playful verve that’s absent in the sober VW."

PRESSFROM REVIEW

"In our testing, a Veloster N with the Performance package hit 60 mph in 5.2 seconds, ran through the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 102 mph, braked from 70 mph in 154 feet, and pulled 0.97 g on the skidpad. Those numbers put it squarely between the Civic Type R and Civic Si in terms of performance—the same goes for the Golf R and GTI—which is exactly the market positioning that Hyundai is going for. The Veloster N is cheaper than all of those cars, save for the $25,195 Si, so the funky three-door hatch offers a performance-per-dollar value that's hard to match. And it's not just about the numbers, either: the Veloster N is seriously great to drive."

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Go read some reviews. The type of auto enthusiasts who gave the Fiesta ST high marks back in 2014, instead of dismissing it, are the same ones calling the Veloster N a breakthrough car. GTI and Civic Si killing it, you haven't done much research. Again, go read around, consensus disagrees with you. No it's not there yet but for the price it competes very well with other stuff in this segment.

But that's just what I've read. I haven't driven one so I'm basing my opinions on automotive journalists that I respect. Click links to read below.

CAR AND DRIVER REVIEW

"The Veloster N keenly dives into corners and hangs on with tireless front-end grip. It approaches the limit with less understeer than the Volkswagen Golf GTI, and at a slower pace it exudes a playful verve that’s absent in the sober VW."

PRESSFROM REVIEW

"In our testing, a Veloster N with the Performance package hit 60 mph in 5.2 seconds, ran through the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 102 mph, braked from 70 mph in 154 feet, and pulled 0.97 g on the skidpad. Those numbers put it squarely between the Civic Type R and Civic Si in terms of performance—the same goes for the Golf R and GTI—which is exactly the market positioning that Hyundai is going for. The Veloster N is cheaper than all of those cars, save for the $25,195 Si, so the funky three-door hatch offers a performance-per-dollar value that's hard to match. And it's not just about the numbers, either: the Veloster N is seriously great to drive."
You should just buy one! Lol You seem to be strongly cheerleading for them.
Jokes aside the Hyundai Genesis coupe was supposed to be the modern replacement of the 240sx and challenge the 350z. It basically did neither. Yes some guys bought, yes some magazines praised it, yes people made aftermarket parts for it. In the end it did not fly like people thought it would.
More actually embraced the FRS/BRZ even with its problem of lackluster torque making it pretty much a no go to a lot of us.
So now we have Hyundai’s more seasoned approach to a hot hatch. Much like their Genesis Coupe was the grown up Tiburon but still did not hit the mark squarely.
I predict the Veloster N falls into the same trap.

Yes some magazines have sang praise, yes it has decent power. It looks ok better than previous iterations but not great. Its heavy, in Hot Hatch world heavy is noticable unless its a monster awd machine. I own a Focus while it drives nice for what it is its heavier than my FiST and quite noticable in difference of feel because of that.
Anyone who steps from a FiST into a Veloster will notice that weight difference immediately there is nomgetting around it.
Do it and come back and tell us. In fact I might go test drive one just to see for myself. I am sure the Hyundai salesman will fall over backwards to give me a test drive if I show up in my FiST .lol

Hyundai does not make bad cars these days, is the Veloster N all that its cracked up to be? I doubt it, could be wrong,.
Oh and every was so Convinced the KIA Stinger was going to be amazing based off initial magazine pr3view road tests and specs on paper. In the end it turned out to be a kind of a yawner. This seems to be the MO for Hyundai/KIA performance vehicles awesome on paper kinda of a yawn in the real world
Prove me wrong!
YMMV

jeff

2000 Post Club

You should just buy one! Lol You seem to be strongly cheerleading for them.
Jokes aside the Hyundai Genesis coupe was supposed to be the modern replacement of the 240sx and challenge the 350z. It basically did neither. Yes some guys bought, yes some magazines praised it, yes people made aftermarket parts for it. In the end it did not fly like people thought it would.
More actually embraced the FRS/BRZ even with its problem of lackluster torque making it pretty much a no go to a lot of us.
So now we have Hyundai’s more seasoned approach to a hot hatch. Much like their Genesis Coupe was the grown up Tiburon but still did not hit the mark squarely.
I predict the Veloster N falls into the same trap.

Yes some magazines have sang praise, yes it has decent power. It looks ok better than previous iterations but not great. Its heavy, in Hot Hatch world heavy is noticable unless its a monster awd machine. I own a Focus while it drives nice for what it is its heavier than my FiST and quite noticable in difference of feel because of that.
Anyone who steps from a FiST into a Veloster will notice that weight difference immediately there is nomgetting around it.
Do it and come back and tell us. In fact I might go test drive one just to see for myself. I am sure the Hyundai salesman will fall over backwards to give me a test drive if I show up in my FiST .lol

Hyundai does not make bad cars these days, is the Veloster N all that its cracked up to be? I doubt it, could be wrong,.
Oh and every was so Convinced the KIA Stinger was going to be amazing based off initial magazine pr3view road tests and specs on paper. In the end it turned out to be a kind of a yawner. This seems to be the MO for Hyundai/KIA performance vehicles awesome on paper kinda of a yawn in the real world
Prove me wrong!
YMMV
Meh, who knows, like I said I'm just basing my opinions on the reviews I've read/seen from people I tend to trust. They drive a whole lot of cars with a "yeah it's pretty good" review consistently but the Veloster N reviews are more like "wow this is something special" instead, consistently. That's the same way folks reacted to the FiST 5 years ago so that's why I believe in this car. Probably not an opportunity to drive one around where I love, plus I'm not a fan of joyrides, I couldn't beat the car in good conscience knowing I had no plan to buy it, and I'd have to beat on it to get an idea of how it really performed.

Like I said before I could be wrong but were I shopping for a car it would be a definite possibility for me.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
W
Meh, who knows, like I said I'm just basing my opinions on the reviews I've read/seen from people I tend to trust. They drive a whole lot of cars with a "yeah it's pretty good" review consistently but the Veloster N reviews are more like "wow this is something special" instead, consistently. That's the same way folks reacted to the FiST 5 years ago so that's why I believe in this car. Probably not an opportunity to drive one around where I love, plus I'm not a fan of joyrides, I couldn't beat the car in good conscience knowing I had no plan to buy it, and I'd have to beat on it to get an idea of how it really performed.

Like I said before I could be wrong but were I shopping for a car it would be a definite possibility for me.
I watched Matt Farahs review he liked it, though he was not jumping up and down reaction like he was in the FIST . Gramted he tends to be a fair weather guys with cars a it is. Comes with the territory partly of constantly having to review things.
As far as joyrides commemt goes meh.
Lol when I took the FoST for a test drive I ran it theough freeway on ramps and off ramps . When I took the FiST for a test drive I did no hold back salesman was cool with it. When you show up in a dropped full coilover Manual M3 with they tend to understand your Not gonna completely hold back.

Any dealer the least bit interested in selling a performance vehicle is gonna know you want to experience fhar performance. Nothing wrong with taking a test drive in a car you might not buy.
Who knows it might make your jaw drop and you wind up buying.

I was not lookimg at a car the size of the FiST when I test drove it. It was an after thought to a FoST test drive ya it made me grin ear to ear and realize it was something and I wanted it. I did not actually pick one up for another year and a half. Had I said well I don’t test drive something I am not serious about buying I might now even have found it.

I was not looking at FWD beyond a solid daily driver I came from the RWD world yes I had owned great P10 Primera’s aka Infinit G20 BTC Chamionship winning FWD cars and Sentra SER’s but basically I was a RWD sports car fan.

So I did not pay attention to Hot hatch reviews and did not follow people like Matt Farah who does do a lot of Hot Hatch love.

Moral is test drive stuff you think is interesting it could be a future porchase you never guessed youd make and something you will absolutely love.
I know thats were I am at with My FiST and I would have possibly never found it had I followed your rule.
So let yourself have a little freedom there, I know you do with your hybrid setup. Hahahahaha

jeff

2000 Post Club
W

I watched Matt Farahs review he liked it, though he was not jumping up and down reaction like he was in the FIST . Gramted he tends to be a fair weather guys with cars a it is. Comes with the territory partly of constantly having to review things.
As far as joyrides commemt goes meh.
Lol when I took the FoST for a test drive I ran it theough freeway on ramps and off ramps . When I took the FiST for a test drive I did no hold back salesman was cool with it. When you show up in a dropped full coilover Manual M3 with they tend to understand your Not gonna completely hold back.

Any dealer the least bit interested in selling a performance vehicle is gonna know you want to experience fhar performance. Nothing wrong with taking a test drive in a car you might not buy.
Who knows it might make your jaw drop and you wind up buying.

I was not lookimg at a car the size of the FiST when I test drove it. It was an after thought to a FoST test drive ya it made me grin ear to ear and realize it was something and I wanted it. I did not actually pick one up for another year and a half. Had I said well I don’t test drive something I am not serious about buying I might now even have found it.

I was not looking at FWD beyond a solid daily driver I came from the RWD world yes I had owned great P10 Primera’s aka Infinit G20 BTC Chamionship winning FWD cars and Sentra SER’s but basically I was a RWD sports car fan.

So I did not pay attention to Hot hatch reviews and did not follow people like Matt Farah who does do a lot of Hot Hatch love.

Moral is test drive stuff you think is interesting it could be a future porchase you never guessed youd make and something you will absolutely love.
I know thats were I am at with My FiST and I would have possibly never found it had I followed your rule.
So let yourself have a little freedom there, I know you do with your hybrid setup. Hahahahaha
Like I said if I was in the market I would drive one but I’m not so the point is moot, there’s no reason for me to test drive. Besides I love my Fiesta after these 3 lovely years with her and I’m not looking for anything else. I was just theorizing to help the OP.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Like I said if I was in the market I would drive one but I’m not so the point is moot, there’s no reason for me to test drive. Besides I love my Fiesta after these 3 lovely years with her and I’m not looking for anything else. I was just theorizing to help the OP.
Oh ya I get that. It just seemed you were really into it lol. Ya quite honestly I can’t see any other hot hatch displacing my FiST either. I love it. Though ya I want to test drive the Veloster now just to confirm what I suspect.