Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST vs Veloster N

OP
K
Thread Starter #22
there is a reason they need a 100K warranty in order to sell...
What about Mitsubishi? A longer warranty is called standing behind their product. For some reason they only offer 5 years 100k KM in Canada, but it's still better than Ford. We have a Santa Fe for the last 2 and a half years and we had a big 0 issues with it. Had much more with my Fiesta SE and my FiST each.

The reviews praising the car is basically what is selling me on it. The big problem is me actually driving it. I guess it's still early for that kind of car to be at dealers. There's only 3 dealers I've seen with one each, but like 300km away.

My biggest problem though: FiST production ends soon. It's now or never for a new one exactly as I want it. The N is just starting and has only 1 option anyway here, the color.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well I just looked around locally for a Veloster N and I do not know whats happening there but around here dealers are slapping a 10k premium on the price.

Which pretty much rules the car out IMO. Its not woth 37k at that price one could pick up a Focus RS. i do not think a Veloster N is worth what a Focus RS is or is even at that level.

They are basically smoking crack on the priicing due to automotive journalism hype.

As far as Hyudai reliabilty goes thats not much of an issue these days Hyundai are pretty good now in that department.

As far as the OP goes he should test drive one to see, but if its going to come at that kind of markup vs getting a FiST for under 20k or under exactly how he would want it its kinda a no brainer. The FiST!

Now if he said he would not mind a Focus RS either then 37k becomes doable except at that point there is the RS and several other nice cars in that price range that I do not think the Veloster will better.

OP
K
Thread Starter #24
Now if he said he would not mind a Focus RS either then 37k becomes doable except at that point there is the RS and several other nice cars in that price range that I do not think the Veloster will better.
Seriously, I would not mind a Focus RS either, there is one problem though: In Canada, a new RS is currently advertised at about 46k, down from the 60k MSRP for the 2018. It's not a bad deal, but compared to the MSRP of 35k (without fees) on the Veloster N, that's a tough sell and outside my budget.

The FiST in Canada is also much more expensive base because it includes the Recaros by default. The FiST is 26458 in Canada without fees. There's about 8550$ difference between the two at MSRP. From my calculations, to bring the FiST to the Veloster N level (power and handling), it would end around that price in parts alone (I don't think I would install a LSD or turbo myself, so add another 2-3k to that).

So yeah, if there was a difference of more than 10k between them, I would go with the FiST in a heartbeat. I will soon go take a look at dealers and see how low they can go on a FiST. Seeing some of you guys getting your FiST with Recaros at 18-19k makes me jealous!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Seriously, I would not mind a Focus RS either, there is one problem though: In Canada, a new RS is currently advertised at about 46k, down from the 60k MSRP for the 2018. It's not a bad deal, but compared to the MSRP of 35k (without fees) on the Veloster N, that's a tough sell and outside my budget.

The FiST in Canada is also much more expensive base because it includes the Recaros by default. The FiST is 26458 in Canada without fees. There's about 8550$ difference between the two at MSRP. From my calculations, to bring the FiST to the Veloster N level (power and handling), it would end around that price in parts alone (I don't think I would install a LSD or turbo myself, so add another 2-3k to that).

So yeah, if there was a difference of more than 10k between them, I would go with the FiST in a heartbeat. I will soon go take a look at dealers and see how low they can go on a FiST. Seeing some of you guys getting your FiST with Recaros at 18-19k makes me jealous!
Power and handling? From what i read on Jalopnik the Veloster has eLSD and the handling is good but not great. Its a great car no doubt, the interior alone is nicer than a Fiesta's.

FWIW i just scored a new Hotchkis rear sway bar for $85 shipped FROM Hotchkis. I wonder how pricey mods for that Veloster would be...

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
K
Thread Starter #26
Power and handling? From what i read on Jalopnik the Veloster has eLSD and the handling is good but not great. Its a great car no doubt, the interior alone is nicer than a Fiesta's.
I would say that, without having driven the N, I'm sure the FiST is up with it in handling, but what I meant by handling was more the active suspension and the included e-LSD. I already have most of TB Performance braces, so it's already even more amazing.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like my dilemma is between having a car how I want it (mostly) out of the box or customize a car the way I want it.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I would say that, without having driven the N, I'm sure the FiST is up with it in handling, but what I meant by handling was more the active suspension and the included e-LSD. I already have most of TB Performance braces, so it's already even more amazing.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like my dilemma is between having a car how I want it (mostly) out of the box or customize a car the way I want it.
Modding is more fun....

Nice post, I was actually thinking this exact thought yesterday. While I do love my FIST it lacks only in straight line acceleration that I miss from my 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 and also my 2017 Subaru WRX. The Veloster N is a rocket 0-60 in the low 5 second range- right out of the box. While it is enticing, the car is expensive though- like 35K? While a FIST you can get a new or low mileage for 15-17K range- just about half price. You can add bolt on mods for a few K and get the FIST pretty competitive in handling and shave off a few tenths in straight line performance but don't think you will ever get the straight line performance the N has unless you perhaps do serious mods. 35K is very expensive- I only paid 30K for my 2018 Mustang GT. If the N were more competitive in price say at 25K it would have me much more interested.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
OP you're in Canada?

Why are we even having this dicussion?!

90s JDM monsters!!!

OP
K
Thread Starter #30
Modding is more fun....

I won't argue with that! Plus I want to store it in the winter, I'll need something to do during that time!

35K is very expensive- I only paid 30K for my 2018 Mustang GT. If the N were more competitive in price say at 25K it would have me much more interested.
35k is in Canada; for the same equipment in the US it's 30k. A mustang GT in Canada starts at about 40k. For 30k here, you get an Ecoboost Mustang, a Focus ST for 31500 or a Fiesta ST for 28300 (that's all base models, 0 options, but also 0 haggling). If I can get a FiST for what they are sold in the US (18k to 20kUSD so 23k to 26kCAD), then that's perfect, but I don't expect it.

I won't argue with that! Plus I want to store it in the winter, I'll need something to do during that time!

35k is in Canada; for the same equipment in the US it's 30k. A mustang GT in Canada starts at about 40k. For 30k here, you get an Ecoboost Mustang, a Focus ST for 31500 or a Fiesta ST for 28300 (that's all base models, 0 options, but also 0 haggling). If I can get a FiST for what they are sold in the US (18k to 20kUSD so 23k to 26kCAD), then that's perfect, but I don't expect it.
Wow FIST is more expensive in Canada than US. I bought my base 2017 new for 17K and if I pushed could have done even better- probably 16K.

OP
K
Thread Starter #32
OP you're in Canada?

Why are we even having this dicussion?!

90s JDM monsters!!!
I highly respect those cars, but I would prefer a modern car, plus steering on the correct side for the region. A friend of mine has a GTR R32 and it's amazing, but I don't think it's for me. Plus finding one that is not too modded so that I can have my fun will probably be very expensive or will need a lot of love first.

Plus my province passed the 25 years law a couple of years ago, so I can't buy one from the other provinces, only the ones that were here before the law are legal right now.

Mikey456

Good topic... I just can’t get over the styling of the car. The European variant looks so much better? Same issue as the Civic. I could not have a car in my driveway that has an exterior like that... regardless of performance. No offense to those that like the exterior of this car.

OP
K
Thread Starter #34
Good topic... I just can’t get over the styling of the car. The European variant looks so much better? Same issue as the Civic. I could not have a car in my driveway that has an exterior like that... regardless of performance. No offense to those that like the exterior of this car.
Is it just the asymmetrical 3 doors that bothers you or the overall styling? I don't mind the 3 doors, but I like what they did for the styling of the N overall. Those 3 doors though are extremely polarizing, I completely understand!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Is it just the asymmetrical 3 doors that bothers you or the overall styling? I don't mind the 3 doors, but I like what they did for the styling of the N overall. Those 3 doors though are extremely polarizing, I completely understand!
I'm indifferent about the 3 doors - its kinda weird from the inside. I wish someone would rehash the RX8 doors, those were genius.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
It may be heavier with 4.

Me personally- I’d pick up a cheap used one (FiST), gut it, and turn it into a race car. But that’s just me.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Went back and read the Civic Type R vs Veloster N article on Car amd Driver.

Take aways were the Veloster N was rough around the edges, giving up in the braking under certain conditions also giving up on steering feel, shift feel, and on rough roads. While my FiST can get twitchy on grooved freeways on rough back roads its pretty damn sure footed. Its shifter feels good, its brakes are solid. Hmmm all the areas the Veloster fails in . Oh wait the Veloster has a 100 more hp thats $1500-2k away with a hybrid turbo and an accessport on a FiST add soem suspension goodies and a few other things and 5k in your FiST is running in the same league power and handling.
Active suspension? Cool as long as it stays well sorted.
The R literally is amazing if it did not look like a horrible late 90’s early 2000’s tuner car it would be the car to buy .
Except again both these cars land in Focus RS territory and in just terms of a Future classic awd the RS is just a better financial bet.
Yet again at that price range the door opens up to some serious other options one would have to look towards and consider.
I said this earlier and I say it again and most of th reviews seem to get close to how I feel. I do not thing the Veloster drives as great as it looks on paper. Lets just get out of the way I do not like its looks.
But Hyundai, there looks have always been either just originally ugly or steal design ideas from this car amd that car and then just kinda miss winding up with a ok looking car not a great looking car.
Of course do not get me started about the Honda.

OP is going to possibly dissapointed when he test drives the N in my opinion. He has lived with a FiST for awhile I can personally say after owning my FiST for a bit I have high expectaions in the handling, weight feel and nimbleness department.

I think its a great effort on Hyundai’s part they are getting closer to building real sports cars but its still Hyundai and it does not have the racing credentials that , Suburu,Honda,Nissan,Toyota, Ford etc..have.
That goes a long way in my book in them delivering a proven vehicle.

Bravo Hyundai you are finally getting me to check out your car seriously for observation but no, its overpriced at this point for what it delivers.
Remember it does weigh 400 pounds more which while it might be a bit quicker in 0-60 does not help.

Hot hatches are not meant for dracing contrary to some of the people’s around here fascination with that. Lol

Corner corner corner grocery getter!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Hot hatches are not meant for dracing contrary to some of the people’s around here fascination with that. Lol

Corner corner corner grocery getter!
Arent roadcourses a series of drag races connected by corners?!

OP
K
Thread Starter #40
Went back and read the Civic Type R vs Veloster N article on Car amd Driver.

Take aways were the Veloster N was rough around the edges, giving up in the braking under certain conditions also giving up on steering feel, shift feel, and on rough roads. While my FiST can get twitchy on grooved freeways on rough back roads its pretty damn sure footed. Its shifter feels good, its brakes are solid. Hmmm all the areas the Veloster fails in . Oh wait the Veloster has a 100 more hp thats $1500-2k away with a hybrid turbo and an accessport on a FiST add soem suspension goodies and a few other things and 5k in your FiST is running in the same league power and handling.
Active suspension? Cool as long as it stays well sorted.
The R literally is amazing if it did not look like a horrible late 90’s early 2000’s tuner car it would be the car to buy .
Except again both these cars land in Focus RS territory and in just terms of a Future classic awd the RS is just a better financial bet.
Yet again at that price range the door opens up to some serious other options one would have to look towards and consider.
I said this earlier and I say it again and most of th reviews seem to get close to how I feel. I do not thing the Veloster drives as great as it looks on paper. Lets just get out of the way I do not like its looks.
But Hyundai, there looks have always been either just originally ugly or steal design ideas from this car amd that car and then just kinda miss winding up with a ok looking car not a great looking car.
Of course do not get me started about the Honda.

OP is going to possibly dissapointed when he test drives the N in my opinion. He has lived with a FiST for awhile I can personally say after owning my FiST for a bit I have high expectaions in the handling, weight feel and nimbleness department.

I think its a great effort on Hyundai’s part they are getting closer to building real sports cars but its still Hyundai and it does not have the racing credentials that , Suburu,Honda,Nissan,Toyota, Ford etc..have.
That goes a long way in my book in them delivering a proven vehicle.
Thanks for your input! As you said, it would need to be pretty awesome in the handling department to beat the FiST. I did test other cars in the past, namely the current and previous gen GTI, same for WRX, the FoST, the MazdaSpeed3, Mustang Ecoboost, Veloster Turbo, the previous gen Civic Si and I probably forget some and none of them compared to the FiST. Not even close. If the reviews I checked were saying the Veloster N is not as FUN as any of those, I wouldn't even look at it, but I saw a couple of reviewers saying it's more fun than the GTI or WRX by quite a lot. From the reviews, I feel like the car hit the marks perfectly for what they wanted to achieve for that price point.

But... it really feels like I'm going to end up with another FiST. The small car and the modability will count for a lot...