Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST vs Veloster N

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yes, it's just a discussion and right now due to getting scammed by TWO body shops for over 12K on a restoration I need to downsize to one car. My FIST is my BEST car- I have 0 issues with it other than "slow". I am really leaning on cashing in on the GT, investing 3-4K in the FIST for tune, air filter, larger intercooler and bigger turbo and run E85. (I have E85 a couple miles from my house). That still will be shy of the CTR but may be close to a Veloster N's performance?
The N only has 50 more horsepower. If you get the performance pack it would have 75 more. It has more weight to it as well. Spend $500 and get a stage one tune. If it's still to slow build from there. Pick the tune for the gas you will use. 91,93, or E30.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yes, it's just a discussion and right now due to getting scammed by TWO body shops for over 12K on a restoration I need to downsize to one car. My FIST is my BEST car- I have 0 issues with it other than "slow". I am really leaning on cashing in on the GT, investing 3-4K in the FIST for tune, air filter, larger intercooler and bigger turbo and run E85. (I have E85 a couple miles from my house). That still will be shy of the CTR but may be close to a Veloster N's performance?
An e30 tune even on a stock turbo will make your car feel instantly much better, you get very lose to hybrid torque on a stock turbo that way, but yeah, a hybrid turbo upgrade on an e30 tune and you are literally at CTR level, period. Not close, THERE with about 315whp, You don't need to do exhaust at all, it's not a restriction even with a hybrid but an intake upgrade with crossover, induction hose and drop in filter would help max it out. You may even be able to get by for $2500, if you can do the work yourself, $3500 including LSD with install kit, so yeah about $4000 for EVERYTHING including tune... I'm not even a BIG turbo guy, 315whp is plenty for our little car and with an LSD you could easily keep up with a CTR on the street or track.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It alright... I’m a car guy too. Maybe u might want to try the BMW 2 series. We have a 228i and its not as aggressive as the FiST but its quick and the auto 8 spd performs. If you care about sound its best to look at 6 cylinder 240i (Not so good on gas though).
The M2 is the only Bimmer I would have any interest in at all nowadays, if I were in the market for that price range ride. ;)

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The M2 is the only Bimmer I would have any interest in at all nowadays, if I were in the market for that price range ride. ;)
Ya pretty much can agree with this. Except once you get in that price range there are something interesting cars to consider. As being a BMW owner already and going throught the Bimmer thing, I can honestly say though it makes me want to just say no to BMW.
Lol of course new and under warranty does make it more palatable.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Motorweek just did a segment on the Veloster N,and liked it a lot. Interestingly, they said that the former head of BMW's M division now works for Hyundai and is involved in the development of their performance cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfRRvLMYLv4
Watching MotorTrend channel also huh? The steering wheel paddles seem to imply an automatic transmission. [thumbdown]

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Motorweek just did a segment on the Veloster N,and liked it a lot. Interestingly, they said that the former head of BMW's M division now works for Hyundai and is involved in the development of their performance cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfRRvLMYLv4
Uh, yeah, we all heard that a while ago. ;)

But seriously, that's why we are taking this Hyundai seriously finally, another guy from BMW was hired away by Kia and did the Stinger... and Kia's look kind of like Audi's because they poached the Audi designer a long time time ago... When the Koreans decide to do something right, they don't bullshit, they bring in the experts. They got the reliability part down on their own about 10 years ago but needed help on the driving dynamics so they brought in the big guns!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Watching MotorTrend channel also huh? The steering wheel paddles seem to imply an automatic transmission. [thumbdown]
Well, get one with the stick instead, your choice, at least they offer both and the 7 speed is a real, well tuned DCT too so no slouch there...

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Yes, a good channel for all us gearheads. I thought the same thing about the paddles, but I'm pretty sure they said the car only comes in with a manual transmission.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Well, get one with the stick instead, your choice, at least they offer both and the 7 speed is a real, well tuned DCT too so no slouch there...
That's good that they offer choice. I know they've much improved, but hate automatic transmissions for reliability and maintenance reasons. Performance wise, it is difficult for a human to out-shift an automatic. Man trans tech for cars just hasn't received as much or any attention from engineers like the automatics have. If they did, we'd all be running some variation of sequential trans that allows clutchless shifting.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yes, a good channel for all us gearheads. I thought the same thing about the paddles, but I'm pretty sure they said the car only comes in with a manual transmission.
Man trans with steering wheel shifting? Don't think that's possible. :)

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The DCT that Hyundai has is a dry clutch anyway that's the last thing you want. If a vehicle is equipped with a DCT you want a wet clutch like the GTI. Dry clutch DCT equals expensive replacement down the road.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The DCT that Hyundai has is a dry clutch anyway that's the last thing you want. If a vehicle is equipped with a DCT you want a wet clutch like the GTI. Dry clutch DCT equals expensive replacement down the road.
Wet clutches can tolerate a LOT more torque and withstand some slip on the engagement from a shift; resulting with a smoother experience.

The dry clutches are more efficient, lighter weight, as they don't require additional hardware like pumps and an oil cooler. But they're much trickier to shift. They have a very sophisticated array of sensors and programming to try and smooth out the shifting. Even if there is absolutely nothing wrong, the "feel" of it leads many to the false assumption that damage is occurring, and/or that failure is imminent. Those symptoms on the old slush box transmission were definite precursors to failure.

Also, a negative for wet clutches and fuel efficiency, wet clutches when disengaged still have a minor amount of drag due to a "fluid coupling" effect.