Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

205/45-16 or 205/50-16 re71r for autocross ?

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
What’s the pros and cons of 205/45-16 and 205/50-16 re71r’s ? What do you prefer?

50 is significantly cheaper and gets you ~2 mph in 2nd so if your course tends to be fast that would be good. I haven't run both so can't give personal experience.

I am switching from BFGs to the Bridgestones, so I am interested in how they compare. I went with the shorter sidewall because I want less deflection and better response, but I have pretty short courses with lots of turns.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I too would go with the shorter sidewall for the better turn-in and less sidewall deflection. All of my courses are really short, so I am not concerned about the extra mph in each gear. However, if you are driving them on the street, the taller sidewall provides more wheel protection if you live in a pot hole part of the world.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I have few places that I max out 2nd longer than I’d like with 205/50-16. I’m not sure I’d want smaller yet. Went to order 205/50-16 re71rs other day from Discount tire and I’m told they are on back order till mid March. I remember while back some talk of the 45 series being a better compound but can’t find that Info now.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Reviving this thread - just bought a set of 205/45/16 to mount on 16x8 rpf1s, hoping the tires are as good as everyone says they are.

I have run BFGs, Yokos, Falkens and the Bridgestones and by far prefer the RE71rs.
  • The new Falkens RT660s drive very similar to the 'stones, but wear about twice as fast. The $ saved at purchase is not worth it in the long run.
  • The Yokohama AO52 are probably the fastest of the 4, but you need some skill to make the most of them. I am not a very precise driver, kinda ham-fisted, so the extra $400+ per set was not worth it to me.
  • The BFG Rival 1.5S is great but needs some heat to work. Here in the NE, I prefer to be able to run in colder temps on colder tires. It means that I have to keep them cool in the hot months, but that's easier than keeping them warm in the cold ones. If I lived in like TX or AZ, I'd swap to the BFG.
  • The RE71 match my driving style better, I find them more forgiving at the limit and more communicative. They last me a season, and I can get them for a decent price.
As for size, I have played around with a lot of options and I think the 215/45-16 is ideal, but that means BFG or Falken, the 'stones and Yoks come in 205/45-16.