Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do Summer tires not usually come with a warranty?

Spork1569

Sorry if a newb question, first time shopping for good tires and want to get the best I can for the money.

Stock Potenzas are on their last legs and I've been shopping around for a new tire in the stock size. Live in California so all seasons seem like overkill for the temps we have and 3 days of rain we get per year and I wanted a summer tire for my FiST's new shoes.

I noticed most summer tires don't have warranty's and was wondering about how long they are expected to last? I'm looking at Indy 500s as many recommend them but worried about tread life(bought car with 27000 miles and stock tires dead after less than 5000 miles) as I would rather sacrifice a little performance to not have to drop money on tires again in less than a year(driving is about 80 percent commute and 20 percent fun/spirited), so all seasons aren't completely out as a choice.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks.

CSM

1000 Post Club
IIRC just about the only summer tire that offers a warranty are Michelins. IIRC the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (which replaces the pilot super sport) has a 30k mileage warranty, but they are expensive. You can almost get 2 full sets of Indy 500s for the price of one set of Michelins. However the PS4S get rave reviews, I think Matt Farah said its the perfect tire for a street driven performance car. Keep in mind Michelin only stocks the 205/40/17 overseas. Here in the states we can order the 215/45/17 but you may have to do some minor modifications of the rear fabric material on the wheel well to prevent rubbing on OEM suspension.

I currently have Indy 500s and have been pleasantly surprised by them. Turn in isn't as good as RE050A but grip at the limit is about the same. For the price they cannot be beat, I think I was able to get mine for $350 shipped in OEM size.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #3
IIRC just about the only summer tire that offers a warranty are Michelins. IIRC the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (which replaces the pilot super sport) has a 30k mileage warranty, but they are expensive. You can almost get 2 full sets of Indy 500s for the price of one set of Michelins. However the PS4S get rave reviews, I think Matt Farah said its the perfect tire for a street driven performance car. Keep in mind Michelin only stocks the 205/40/17 overseas. Here in the states we can order the 215/45/17 but you may have to do some minor modifications of the rear fabric material on the wheel well to prevent rubbing on OEM suspension.

I currently have Indy 500s and have been pleasantly surprised by them. Turn in isn't as good as RE050A but grip at the limit is about the same. For the price they cannot be beat, I think I was able to get mine for $350 shipped in OEM size.
I think I'm leaning more and more towards the Indy 500s. Do you know if there is a difference between the wide oval version I see some places, or is it all the same tire?

CSM

1000 Post Club
I think I'm leaning more and more towards the Indy 500s. Do you know if there is a difference between the wide oval version I see some places, or is it all the same tire?
Yes the Oval version is a totally different (and inferior tire). DO NOT GET IT!

The Firehawk Indy 500 is actually the Bridgestone Potenza RE003 from other markets. Its just re-branded as a firestone product for sale in the US. https://www.bridgestone.com.sg/en/tyre/potenza-adrenalin-re003

A shop in CA claims to carry Michelin pilot sports in stock wheel size. I would give them a try. They are about the same price as replacement Bridgestone, but much better tire as stated above.

https://www.performanceplustire.com...re:ty:Tire:vh:2497513-1:yr:2017:ts:205-40-17/
That shop carries the PS4 I’ve called and they have them on hand. The PS4 is the replacement for the PS3 and is a class below the PSS/PS4S. Though I believe they’re still a step up from the re050a that we get stock. I’ve had the Firehawk in 215/45 and 205/40 size both 17” they are just slightly below every mark that the stock tire does besides, noise and treadwear. They DONT wear out! I did 20k on the first set 215/45 before swapping them out for the 595rs-rr. Spork, what kind of driving do you do? And what marks in a tire are you most desiring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that sounds like a challenge. I don't think I've owned a tire that made it over 12k

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #8
That shop carries the PS4 I’ve called and they have them on hand. The PS4 is the replacement for the PS3 and is a class below the PSS/PS4S. Though I believe they’re still a step up from the re050a that we get stock. I’ve had the Firehawk in 215/45 and 205/40 size both 17” they are just slightly below every mark that the stock tire does besides, noise and treadwear. They DONT wear out! I did 20k on the first set 215/45 before swapping them out for the 595rs-rr. Spork, what kind of driving do you do? And what marks in a tire are you most desiring?

I do around a 18 mile commute weekdays and I'll canyon carve the occasional weekend.

Im highly considering the firestones as you say they don't wear out and many say they're almost the same as stock performance. I don't think a full on performance tire would be best as the car is a DD and most of the tread would he wasted.

Would you say the firestones do well enough in the twisties? I think performance would place second to tread life in my priority, but if still like to have a tire that can handle the occasional weekend in he canyons.

I would absolutely say they’re perfect for the twistes. The cornering grip is on par with The Bstones. I’d say like 9/10ths the same grip everywhere else. If you don’t push the car hard enough to move around and break the tires free they will be nearly identical to stock. The only thing I did notice was the lighter steering. The most important factor I’ve found in choosing new tires is the size/weight. Keep it under 20lbs in stock size and it’ll have that same handling feel. Go bigger/heavier and the car will feel bigger and heavier.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #10
I would absolutely say they’re perfect for the twistes. The cornering grip is on par with The Bstones. I’d say like 9/10ths the same grip everywhere else. If you don’t push the car hard enough to move around and break the tires free they will be nearly identical to stock. The only thing I did notice was the lighter steering. The most important factor I’ve found in choosing new tires is the size/weight. Keep it under 20lbs in stock size and it’ll have that same handling feel. Go bigger/heavier and the car will feel bigger and heavier.

One thing I forgot to ask about too is wet grip, it doesn't rain too much here but I notice the stock tires hydroplaning a little as they get lower. Hopefully the firestones don't turn into slicks in the rain ?

In the wet they’re a little less grippy than stock, but just don’t drive like a maniac. Lol they did keep me out of trouble through some very heavy rainstorms. Their hydroplaning resistance is pretty good, never got it to float at 70mph. And they cut through puddles at about 45mph nicely as it tends to flood the streets here in SoCal when it rains.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I have had the same experience with the Indy 500s, I like them a lot, especially for the price. I did notice the slight decrease in turn in response that you mentioned, and was hoping that would improve a little bit as the tread wears down, mine are brand new with only about six hundred miles on them? How many miles do you have on yours, and did you notice turn in getting any sharper as they got some more age on them?

To the OP, others have confirmed that the Michelins are the only Performance Tire that seems to have a treadwear warranty. I had the Pilot Super Sport on my previous car and they were great, I would consider getting them or the current version of them if they were available in the stock size which I want. I only got 8500 miles out of the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas, which is one thing that led me to try the Indy 500s, looking for some longer tread life

CSM

1000 Post Club
I have had the same experience with the Indy 500s, I like them a lot, especially for the price. I did notice the slight decrease in turn in response that you mentioned, and was hoping that would improve a little bit as the tread wears down, mine are brand new with only about six hundred miles on them? How many miles do you have on yours, and did you notice turn in getting any sharper as they got some more age on them?
There is an initial scrubbing you have to do to "wake" up the tires. But 600 miles should be plenty. You should be at peak performance. I did not notice any improvement as the tires got older.

I'm at 7/32's on my rears and 5/32's on the fronts (I blame the E30 tune HA!!). These tires ship with 9/32's tread. I've driven about 14,000 miles on them. I mostly do all highway driving. Rarely any spirited driving.

I did some rough calculations and based on current wear rate over the last 15 months I should get around 32-34k miles on the set based on my driving habits.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
There is an initial scrubbing you have to do to "wake" up the tires. But 600 miles should be plenty. You should be at peak performance. I did not notice any improvement as the tires got older.
Thanks for that information, I was very curious to try the Indy 500s and I'm glad I did, I figured if I need that little bit of extra steering response I can always go back to the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas next time.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks for that information, I was very curious to try the Indy 500s and I'm glad I did, I figured if I need that little bit of extra steering response I can always go back to the OEM Bridgestone Potenzas next time.
I just think the OEM tires are outrageously expensive for what they are. If it were me and if you wanted to ugprade look at an extreme performance summer tiree in 215/40/17 (e.g., Ziii, Falken Azenis, etc.)

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I just think the OEM tires are outrageously expensive for what they are. If it were me and if you wanted to ugprade look at an extreme performance summer tiree in 215/40/17 (e.g., Ziii, Falken Azenis, etc.)
I use UTOQ 200 rated tires for my dd - and if I am too lazy to swap in the track wheels - on the track as well. BFG Rival S or Falken Azenis. They are about $165 a pop in my size, and they tend to last me for about 20k miles (I tend to finish them off on the track when the wear bands are, ahem, prominent) with rotation. So, once a year I do a complete brake job - rotors and pads (WW Spec 37 and Carbotech XP8) on the fronts. This gets expensive, but I figured that’s the cost of doing business.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I had 12k or so and bunch of autocross runs on my re71rs last year. I could of prob got another 2k out of them before corded but snow came.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I just think the OEM tires are outrageously expensive for what they are.
This is especially true at their current price on Tire Rack, about $225 each! They were about $165 when I was buying the Indy 500s for $97, which was bad enough, but not so much more than the Indy 500s.

I'm sold on so many good reviews of the 500's here and elsewhere. Best price/place to buy 'em? Just rotated my stockers for the first time, 8K miles, and the fronts were at the half-way mark, haha, I drive kinda aggressive in the corners.. Appreciate the suggestions.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm sold on so many good reviews of the 500's here and elsewhere. Best price/place to buy 'em? Just rotated my stockers for the first time, 8K miles, and the fronts were at the half-way mark, haha, I drive kinda aggressive in the corners.. Appreciate the suggestions.
I think I've narrowed it down to these in the stock size or Continental extreme sport DW in a P205/45r17.[cheerleader]