Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Potholes and turbomacs

I am rough on wheels. If there is a monster pothole, I will hit it. I have been considering new wheels, Rota Recce or Fifteen52 Turbomacs have grabbed my attention. The stock wheels have been holding up surprisingly well other than a little rash. I have a history of bending and even cracking wheels. Should I be worried about either of these?

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah, maybe even 15"'s. The extra sidewall will really help smooth the ride and protect the wheels. The Fifteen42 Turbomacs and Rota Recce are cast, not forged; they are more jewelry than quality wheels. For the same or a little less money you could go w/ a set of quality flow formed wheels. If you do the 4x100 conversation there are lots of options. If you want real rally quality wheels you can get a set of Braids starting at about $300/wheel, if memory serves.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
True, the Braids (and the various rally spec Speedlines) are all but indestructible, albeit slightly heavier than the Sino-made flow formed hoops (Dekagrams, etc.), but yes $$$$! [crazyeye]

OP
Z
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Looks like I will be looking into forged/flow formed 16s. No sense spending money on better looking wheels if they are not going to be better in performance or durability than what I have now.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #6
After reading the above replies and snooping around here and on the internet in general, I just about have myself sold on a set of Braid Winrace A 16x8 in white. Tracking them down does seem to be a little tricky though.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I drove the worst roads of LA for Uber full time last year. You should se my bare rims spinning on a balancer lol.

17x8 Konig flow firm wheels. I'm thinking 16x8 Enkie next

True, the Braids (and the various rally spec Speedlines) are all but indestructible, albeit slightly heavier than the Sino-made flow formed hoops (Dekagrams, etc.), but yes $$$$! [crazyeye]
I bent a couple of speedline turini's a few months back [rant]

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
After reading the above replies and snooping around here and on the internet in general, I just about have myself sold on a set of Braid Winrace A 16x8 in white. Tracking them down does seem to be a little tricky though.
At $627 a wheel you might want to cruise the racer forums (racingjunk.com, etc.) to see if you can find some forged wheels at a similar price. You'll probably have to do a 4x100 conversion, but I'd want to own $2500 of wheels in 4x100 rather than 4x108, anyways. Also, they're Braids, so they're beasts, but the Winrace is still a monoblock wheel - that a heck of a price tag for a cast, non-repairable wheel. Maybe look for 2/3 piece wheels that you can repair?

OP
Z
Thread Starter #11
There is a whole lot more to this project than I expected. $627ea is about double what I was wanting to spend if I am honest. I guess I have some more reading to do.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #13
I'm really happy with my 15" team dynamic wheels. 17" wheels are too big in my opinion for this car.
I am leaning towards downsizing. Thinking 16" might be a good compromise. Everytime I think I have found what I am looking for, I learn something new and have to start again.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
At $627 a wheel you might want to cruise the racer forums (racingjunk.com, etc.) to see if you can find some forged wheels at a similar price. You'll probably have to do a 4x100 conversion, but I'd want to own $2500 of wheels in 4x100 rather than 4x108, anyways. Also, they're Braids, so they're beasts, but the Winrace is still a monoblock wheel - that a heck of a price tag for a cast, non-repairable wheel. Maybe look for 2/3 piece wheels that you can repair?
Braid WILL custom drill wheels for you, but yes, it will add to the turnaround time substantially.

These are about the ONLY other wheel besides the Dekagrams available (bolt on/no conversions) for our rides in a 16x8.

Are you certain on that price? [dunno]
I ask because back when Chalon (Perfect Circle Autosports on here) offered these for sale they were less than HALF that price each.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I am leaning towards downsizing. Thinking 16" might be a good compromise. Everytime I think I have found what I am looking for, I learn something new and have to start again.
If you're really that hard on wheels I'd go for 15"'s and a nice set of 205/50x15 or even 225/45x15. Convert to 4x100 and you'll be tripping over options. Stay on 4x108 and someone just posted up a set of 15x7 or 8 on this site today. I don't think that you need stronger wheels as much as you need more sidewall. Motorsport wheels are really strong but you'll never find a prepared rally car tackling anything short of a 100% asphalt stage with 40-series tires.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
My Konigs are bent to shit but don't leak air and never cracked. Worth it

I did what I've yet to see anybody do on this forum. I got my 4x100 wheels drilled to 108

16x7s, 17x8s?

Their 2118 series FULL gravel rally spec, 15" diameter wheels are MUCH stronger than their street wheels (which the Turinis ARE). ;)
17 x7 with 205/40 tyres calimed from the local council though so got replacement wheels, no just need to make tables or something out of the bent ones