Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Psa do not use motul in your fiesta st

Se7eN

I used the standard Motorcraft fluid for about 70k then switched to Ravenol as a last ditch effort to see if it would cure the "whine". I had the whining sound since around 15-20k. It was very subtle and thought it was normal sounding as it did not increase in sound level and operated fine with no issues. Eventually the sound did start to increase in volume over time and decided to try the Ravenol. A few thousand miles later the whine was more like a grinding sound, also like marbles bouncing around. Noise was under load and went away if clutch was pressed in. Finally it was noise no matter what and got it to the shop before it stranded me. I had the trans and everything transmission related replaced. I used about 1.7 until I tried the Ravenol and just did the full 2.
I think I should start looking for a gearbox then

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I had never seen this thread before. Why are people putting automatic transmission fluid in their manual transmissions? That's what DCTF is for. Dual Clutch Transmission is an automatic transmission. While DCTF is not regular ATF, it isn't designed for regular manual transmissions.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I had never seen this thread before. Why are people putting automatic transmission fluid in their manual transmissions? That's what DCTF is for. Dual Clutch Transmission is an automatic transmission. While DCTF is not regular ATF, it isn't designed for regular manual transmissions.
Our factory fill was the Motorcraft DCTF.

And yes, Intuit is correct in that both Ford, and GM have been using ATFs as factory fills for their various manual gearboxes for decades (the T56 in my '00 Z28 was factory filled with Dexron 2 ATF, but everyone switched it out for either one of the thinner varieties of MTF, or at least Red Line's more stout ATF at the very first change).

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have to wonder if driving habits might contribute to a failure like this more so than the fluid used. Hole shots, burnouts, aggressive downshifts, dumping the clutch....poof...DAMN fluid! :p
I Got a Happy meal on it that it plays a factor* I ve never burned out or Dropped the clutch in my FIST ever. [thankyou]

My 2 cents on Ravenol/ specs in the owners manual. I purchased my Fiesta in October 22. 2015 with 43k miles. Flushed the trans fluid within a month of ownership. I used the Ford Spec fluid that I picked up from the Dealership. Manual said 1.7L so I did that. The transmission was a bit noisy before and seemed better for only a few days (if that). It was back to being a bit noisy. I’d have to double clutch for 1st at stoplights occasionally to get a smooth gear change. There was definitely evidence that it wasn’t smooth, functioning top tier. After reading more here and there, I found that most recommend 2L as it’s closer to the actual measurement from measuring down from the drain plug. I changed to 2 liters Ravenol MTF 2 (jug poors strangely) and so far it’s been buttery. Haven’t had to double clutch once. The difference really is night and day. I’ll try to report back after some time/ miles but I’m very satisfied with this recommendation. I changed from 1.7 to 2L and from the Ford DCTF to Ravenol but this combination is working great. No longer noisy. 👍🏼

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My 2 cents on Ravenol/ specs in the owners manual. I purchased my Fiesta in October 22. 2015 with 43k miles. Flushed the trans fluid within a month of ownership. I used the Ford Spec fluid that I picked up from the Dealership. Manual said 1.7L so I did that. The transmission was a bit noisy before and seemed better for only a few days (if that). It was back to being a bit noisy. I’d have to double clutch for 1st at stoplights occasionally to get a smooth gear change. There was definitely evidence that it wasn’t smooth, functioning top tier. After reading more here and there, I found that most recommend 2L as it’s closer to the actual measurement from measuring down from the drain plug. I changed to 2 liters Ravenol MTF 2 (jug poors strangely) and so far it’s been buttery. Haven’t had to double clutch once. The difference really is night and day. I’ll try to report back after some time/ miles but I’m very satisfied with this recommendation. I changed from 1.7 to 2L and from the Ford DCTF to Ravenol but this combination is working great. No longer noisy. 👍🏼
This is the way.
I have never beat on my tranny. I changed my fluid to Ravenol and put in what I got out: 1.8 qts (1.7 liters) in it at around 12000 miles. It was quieter.
At around 25000 miles, I gave it the full 2 liters (2.1 quarts).
It finally feels perfect. Smooth and quiet.
Put the 2 whole liters in it as soon as you can, and feel the difference.

pixelzombie

This is the way.
I have never beat on my tranny. I changed my fluid to Ravenol and put in what I got out: 1.8 qts (1.7 liters) in it at around 12000 miles. It was quieter.
At around 25000 miles, I gave it the full 2 liters (2.1 quarts).
It finally feels perfect. Smooth and quiet.
Put the 2 whole liters in it as soon as you can, and feel the difference.
That's going on my to do list before summer arrives.

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Did a routine fluid change and put ~1.8L of Motul Multi DCTF in my car this weekend. Not sweating it here and I might go with Ravenol MTF-2 next time (about 30k miles from now).
So far so good. Shifts fine and feels good. I'll follow up if anything changes.

I will say I think the bigger part of my problem, was the tranny being low, rather than the type of fluid. I figured I’d try the Ravenol since it met specs. Why not try and see the difference.

Hey guys new owner of a 2014 here - I'm going to get the transmission fluid changed at some point in the near future as who knows when the previous owner did it. Will wait until Ravenol MTF-2 is back in stock at my local dealer, but I've checked the manual for the 2014 and it does list the fabled XT-M5-QS manual transmission fluid as usable for servicing. Has anyone tried this fluid, I've used it in my NC Miata with great results.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hey guys new owner of a 2014 here - I'm going to get the transmission fluid changed at some point in the near future as who knows when the previous owner did it. Will wait until Ravenol MTF-2 is back in stock at my local dealer, but I've checked the manual for the 2014 and it does list the fabled XT-M5-QS manual transmission fluid as usable for servicing. Has anyone tried this fluid, I've used it in my NC Miata with great results.
Can you readily get the Castrol Syntrans FE 75W there?

That also fits the bill, and is most likely a bit more stout than the Motorcraft MTF, albeit about the same viscosity (which if I remember correctly is exorbitantly priced, at least here in this country).