Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Psa do not use motul in your fiesta st

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Too much oil will pressurize the trans and can blow the seals. bad news for the clutch and axle shaft seals, i just put 2L in mine. I think 2.2 is fine too but any more??? I don't know if their is even a breather on these transmissions, but if not it could make a small problem bigger. Maybe a breather would solve the axle seal weeping issues.
It's on top of the trans , silver cap.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
Too much oil will pressurize the trans and can blow the seals. bad news for the clutch and axle shaft seals, i just put 2L in mine. I think 2.2 is fine too but any more??? I don't know if their is even a breather on these transmissions, but if not it could make a small problem bigger. Maybe a breather would solve the axle seal weeping issues.
Here's the breather. It's the "GORE" cap right next to the shift bracket where short shift adapters would go.

Part number is: CV6Z-7L282-A

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It seems that all of the DCT fluids out there, maybe save for the Red Line, and possibly a very few others, are semi-synthetic only. [:(]
Wow that is interesting. Obviously we don't have a wet clutches; where it's a bad thing to be too slick, maybe too shear resistant.

My own take based on the article, the only reason our B6 doesn't require the same full-synth that the iB5 does, is because we have a dual-mass flywheel. *

According to Ford, the fluid that the iB5 uses, is compatible with German/EU GL-4 standard. ** (Do >NOT< use GL-5.)

Interestingly the defamed and maligned PowerShift automatically shifted manual transmissions have a dry clutch also. DMF-paired? DCT Fluid?

Sources:
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...your-fiesta-st?p=341688&viewfull=1#post341688
* https://www.just-auto.com/interview...mx65-manual-transmission-family_id163132.aspx
** https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...ransmission+Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...ransmission+Fluid&category=Transmission Fluid
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrica...+Transaxle+Lubricant&category=Transaxle Fluid
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/mantrans.pdf
https://www.engineoils4u.com/castrol-1502fdsyntrans-transaxle-75w90-manual-trans-fluid-2l/
https://www.automaticchoice.com/en/transmission-parts/6mtt250-b6-durashift/print

Volvo and Getrag are German in origin.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This is a dry clutch setup, not a wet clutch. The dual-mass flywheel will not be affected by a fluid change. The fluid change does impact that clickity clackity noises that the trans makes when moving the shifter. The additional fill and possibly thicker fluid however, may be masking or absorbing noises that travel through the transmission case in general though.
I didn't change to a different fluid, swapped the 1.67 liters factory fill with 2.1 liters (had to buy 3 quarts) of fresh oem fluid.
The clacking/clunking/whatever you call it, that I was refering to, was of the axles, not the dual mass flywheel. The added fluid quieted it down.

I will probably be swapping it out for the ravenol mtf-2 before summer, hearing the good feedback from people with tons of miles on it. But I am still on the fence, tbh

I dont "hate on" the oem stuff, I think it's pretty good. People give it crap because it's thin, but there's a lot of science that goes into it that are above our heads. The engineers at getrag and ford I would think know better what fluids work best.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I didn't change to a different fluid, swapped the 1.67 liters factory fill with 2.1 liters (had to buy 3 quarts) of fresh oem fluid.
The clacking/clunking/whatever you call it, that I was refering to, was of the axles, not the dual mass flywheel. The added fluid quieted it down.

I will probably be swapping it out for the ravenol mtf-2 before summer, hearing the good feedback from people with tons of miles on it. But I am still on the fence, tbh

I dont "hate on" the oem stuff, I think it's pretty good. People give it crap because it's thin, but there's a lot of science that goes into it that are above our heads. The engineers at getrag and ford I would think know better what fluids work best.
Or it's the extra stuff they had on the assembly line and wanted to be frugal and not care about the outcome and weighed the cost to failure ratio.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Or it's the extra stuff they had on the assembly line and wanted to be frugal and not care about the outcome and weighed the cost to failure ratio
Conspiracy theories aside, I think that is a valid point, being that the base fiesta used the dct stuff and it would be more cost effective to use one fluid.
But ford has always revised fluid recommendations over the years if something works better than something else, they will switch.
As [MENTION=9629]Ford ST[/MENTION] stated, the ford ranger in his mech. class was specifically designed for atf and NOT the thicker stuff.
My 91 Mustang GT specified atf in the t-5, I never had an issue with it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club

You're aware that the axles aren't lubricated by the transmission fluid any more than the dual mass flywheel is.

The OEM fluid has a good reputation. No one has ever claimed that it has ruined or contributed to the demise of any transmission.

My prior manual shift vehicle ran on ATF, and I stuck with that over the course of my 327k ownership, never experiencing a single issue out of the internal transmission. The stuff I pulled out between 100-130k (too long ago - don't recall) was in such perfect condition in both appearance and feel, level, that I decided it won't be necessary to mess with it again for the life of the vehicle.

The full synthetic replacement fluid I selected seemed thin too. (which isn't surprising, being a full synthetic) But it wasn't downright watery like the non full synth DCT stuff that came out between 20-30k on the ST. I don't know how it looked going in, but its appearance coming out wasn't exactly confidence inspiring, nor was its feel. Never noticed any issues (like stiff shifter or additional noises) on the full synth replacement during the course of the most frigid Winter months.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
You're aware that the axles aren't lubricated by the transmission fluid any more than the dual mass flywheel is.
Correct me if im wrong, but a manual trans shares the fluid with the diff. It's one unit, whereas the automatic is separate.

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #191
You're wrong and right. Some cars are separate and some are together. Regardless of auto or not

But our cars share

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Unlike the DMF and axles, the differentials are internal to our transmissions. [like]
So, all being one unit, the fluid is shared and the axles are lubed by the trans fluid. I'm talking specifically about the spline end that goes into the trans. The trans was noisier with less fluid.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
To avoid confusion, the weight in the original link is 70/75.

In reference to higher weights, being GL-4 also, I find this interesting...
Quote: MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_bevel_gear#Hypoid_gears
Quote: ....... Special gear oils are required for hypoid gears because the sliding action requires effective lubrication under extreme pressure between the teeth. ....... Hypoid gearings are used in power transmission products that are more efficient than conventional worm gearing.[citation needed] They are considerably stronger in that any load is conveyed through multiple teeth simultaneously. By contrast, bevel gears are loaded through one tooth at a time. The multiple contacts of hypoid gearing, with proper lubrication, can be nearly silent, as well.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-85-75w85-gl-4-gear-oil
LV usually designates 'low viscosity', ULV 'ultra low viscosity'.
I didn't locate an 'LV' designation on the higher weights.
Hmm.....

danbfree

3000 Post Club

The OEM fluid has a good reputation. No one has ever claimed that it has ruined or contributed to the demise of any transmission.

My prior manual shift vehicle ran on ATF, and I stuck with that over the course of my 327k ownership, never experiencing a single issue out of the internal transmission. The stuff I pulled out between 100-130k (too long ago - don't recall) was in such perfect condition in both appearance and feel, level, that I decided it won't be necessary to mess with it again for the life of the vehicle.

The full synthetic replacement fluid I selected seemed thin too. (which isn't surprising, being a full synthetic) But it wasn't downright watery like the non full synth DCT stuff that came out between 20-30k on the ST. I don't know how it looked going in, but its appearance coming out wasn't exactly confidence inspiring, nor was its feel. Never noticed any issues (like stiff shifter or additional noises) on the full synth replacement during the course of the most frigid Winter months.
Was that the Triax that meets Ford spec? Just curious... it seems more and more it's the fluid level and not a specific fluid that can cause issues...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So, all being one unit, the fluid is shared and the axles are lubed by the trans fluid. I'm talking specifically about the spline end that goes into the trans. The trans was noisier with less fluid.
Though they make contact, the splines aren't truly lubed by the fluid. If there's any slop in that connection, they should to be replaced.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Though they make contact, the splines aren't truly lubed by the fluid. If there's any slop in that connection, they should to be replaced.
Everything is lubed from the fluid. I don't understand what you mean.
No issues with slop

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Was that the Triax that meets Ford spec? Just curious... it seems more and more it's the fluid level and not a specific fluid that can cause issues...
My own take based on the Just-Auto interview with Getrag, the only reason our B6 doesn't require the same full-synth that the iB5 does, is because we have a dual-mass flywheel. There are a lot of variables (such as the differential) and that could be wrong.

To be clear, GL-4 is *NOT* listed as B6 compatible. B6 uses the DCT. Per Ford, their own fluid used with iB5 is GL-4 compatible.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Everything is lubed from the fluid. I don't understand what you mean.
No issues with slop
It is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more likely that the clack was generated from some part of the differential, versus the splines on the axle shafts, which are not apart of the differential. Splines are not like the other gearing in the transmission. The splines under normal operation don't experience shear or slip. It is a static connection. It's like saying you need to make sure that the connection between the output shaft and the gear that slides onto it stays lubricated. If there's slop, then there's already a problem. The only way a fluid fill could have an impact with the axle splines is if there is already slop in that connection; which there shouldn't ever be; at 0 miles or 500,000 miles.