Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Psa do not use motul in your fiesta st

koozy

3000 Post Club
I remember in manual transmission class we had a Ford ranger transmission that was rated for automatic transmission fluid. Someone had put gear oil in it and it actually destroyed the transmission. There was a little plastic pathway for the oil to flow to a certain spot, and I assume the gear oil was to heavy to flow where it was necessary.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Completely possible. The issue with the FiST is the discrepancy with the amount of fluid in the gearbox especially from the factory. The 75W FE OE fluid is good quality fluid, but if it is under filled, it can't do a good job in lubricating and cooling.

Throw out the various specs referencing the amount and fill 20mm below the fill hole is the safest bet. Several members have gone so far as the measure the amount and their findings are alarming in that, in many cases is way under 20mm.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I remember in manual transmission class we had a Ford ranger transmission that was rated for automatic transmission fluid. Someone had put gear oil in it and it actually destroyed the transmission. There was a little plastic pathway for the oil to flow to a certain spot, and I assume the gear oil was to heavy to flow where it was necessary.

Uh oh!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Completely possible. The issue with the FiST is the discrepancy with the amount of fluid in the gearbox especially from the factory. The OE fluid is good quality fluid, but if it is under filled, it can't do a good job in lubricating and cooling.

Throw out the various specs referencing the amount and fill 20mm below the fill hole is the safest bet. Several members have gone so far as the measure the amount and their findings are alarming in that, in many cases is way under 20mm.
I fully agree. The level check is the best way.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I fully agree. The level check is the best way.

The issue is that it's a PITA checking the level.
Why oh why didn't getrag design the fill hole to be the proper level [emoji24]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The issue is that it's a PITA checking the level.
Why oh why didn't getrag design the fill hole to be the proper level [emoji24]
I know it would be perfect if it was like a differential fill to it leaks out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Here is what came out of my Replacement Trans that was under warranty @26k

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Stop the madness. Let's all go with Ravenol at 2L and settle this once and for all!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I know it would be perfect if it was like a differential fill to it leaks out.
Every manual transmission car I have ever owned was designed this way, "fill til she bleeds"

Over and down? What I mean is, 90 degree angle, correct?
Gotta make sure it's 100% level as well.
Like I said, a PITA

koozy

3000 Post Club
Every manual transmission car I have ever owned was designed this way, "fill til she bleeds"

Over and down? What I mean is, 90 degree angle, correct?
Gotta make sure it's 100% level as well.
Like I said, a PITA
~25 degree. Black line is the coat hanger.

Attachments

dmb

Too much oil will pressurize the trans and can blow the seals. bad news for the clutch and axle shaft seals, i just put 2L in mine. I think 2.2 is fine too but any more??? I don't know if their is even a breather on these transmissions, but if not it could make a small problem bigger. Maybe a breather would solve the axle seal weeping issues.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Too much oil will pressurize the trans and can blow the seals. bad news for the clutch and axle shaft seals, i just put 2L in mine. I think 2.2 is fine too but any more??? I don't know if their is even a breather on these transmissions, but if not it could make a small problem bigger. Maybe a breather would solve the axle seal weeping issues.
See above. 2L. Ravenol. The end.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Stop the madness. Let's all go with Ravenol at 2L and settle this once and for all!

If I were to go with Ravenol this would be my preferred flavor. Meets Ford's Specs also.

Attachments

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Factory fill spec is around 1.6-1.7l, and this is also what the manual states to fill to. It's widely considered to be under-filled at that level, and is suspected to be done for fuel economy reasons. ......
The manual specifies contradictory information. Following one set of instructions versus the other is how I originally discovered the issue and posted about it here. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/10447-Transmission-fluid-change?p=297012&viewfull=1#post297012

Maybe the Editor had "1.6" on the brain because the engine is 1.6L. /joking

Reposting a portion of my comments from the above linked thread...

I checked the 2016 Service Manual and it matches the Owner's Manual on the spec and part numbers, for both the "B5/IB5" and "B6" transmissions. So this is good.

Owner and Service Manuals do agree on spec and part serials but they differ slightly on capacities.

Onwer's Manual capacities:
  • B6 = 1.6L
  • ib5 = 2.1L

Service Manual Capacities:
  • B6 = 1.67L
  • B5/IB5 = 2.3L

Service Manual is more precise with a spec of "1.67L" on the B6, and adds 8.6% more fluid for the B5/IB5 at "2.3L".

Refill Instructions for Service Manual:
Put in fluid until it reaches the Fill Hole.
  • B6 = "Remove enough fluid to be 1 in (20mm) below the fill hole."
  • B5/IB5 = 'It combines instructions as "B5/IB5" and says (via graphic only) "5-10mm" from fill hole.'

As mentioned in the beginning, I got approximately 1.6L of the OEM fluid out. I didn't check the level before draining, but refilling with ~1.6L did not put the fluid anywhere near the manual spec 20mm/1" from the fill hole.

That could be just due to going with 2 liters over the 1.67 liters factory fill. When I went to 2 liters with the oem stuff, it got rid of that clack noise as well.
This is a dry clutch setup, not a wet clutch. The dual-mass flywheel will not be affected by a fluid change. The fluid change does impact that clickity clackity noises that the trans makes when moving the shifter. The additional fill and possibly thicker fluid however, may be masking or absorbing noises that travel through the transmission case in general though.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It might've been my snow tires, as I've heard them before. This time the whine noise seemed, different. Heard it within a couple of gas tanks of picking it up from an axle replacement. (they replaced the axle shafts in order to resolve a problem with dual mass flywheel [8]) They have to drain the fluid in the course of replacing axle shafts. Hope it was just the snow tires. I'll drain it out the stuff they put in, and put the Castrol 75W-90 full synthetic transaxle fluid back in there. Now that I've seen that the magnet is surrounding the drain hole, I'll swipe my finger around and see whether anything comes out.

Re fluid weight spec...

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals/sitemap.html

============
On page 241 it lists:
  • Manual transmission fluid (B6)*

On page 242 it lists:
  • WSS-M2C200-D2
  • Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid
  • XT-11-QDC
===========
On page 238 it lists:
  • Manual transmission fluid (ib5)*

On page 239 it lists:
  • WSD-M2C200-C
  • Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid
  • XT-M5-QS
============

The first serial is the specification. The second serial is the Ford part number for the Motorcraft fluid.

Re spec, reportedly, (unverified - single sourced),
  • WSD = 75W-90
  • WSS = 75W-80
The WSD spec that was mentioned is for the 5-speed manual that accompanies the 1.0L EcoBoost, the "IB5" transmission. Note that the description for the IB5 says "Manual Transmission Fluid". The description for the B6 says "Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid" instead of manual. Personally, I decided on 3L of Castrol's 75W-90 SynTrans TransAxle fluid.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Oh... and I use an unfolded paper clip as a dip stick.

As for how I could tell whether the vehicle was level, measure from the apex of the wheel well arch on the body panel to the ground, for both the rear and the front.