Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Psa do not use motul in your fiesta st

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
So months later I'm finally on a computer so I can post these videos. Most will not find my random post here and there so ill put some details so this thread is the go to

I'm a firm believer that Motul trans fluid cost me my trans and 2k. I have a pretty high milage ST, it being a 17 and i just crossed 78k. I feel most you guys do not have the issues I did because most you guys don't have the miles i do on Motul fluid.

0-11k OEM fluid
11k-50k Motul 300
50k-64k Motul DCTF

I might be off on the miles, I don't feel like looking for papers of when i did the change to DCTF, it was 40 or 50k. Either way you see I had Motul for 50k miles or so. I want to say for the last 10k or so I noticed a whine in all gears/no gears. It was at idle or driving. If the trans was spinning it was making noise. From pervious experience with bad clutches I was sure it was trans noise. But I kept driving the car cause I'm dumb, i should have took it in before 60k because at 64k it was over. The whine went from slight to super loud. It would growl and growl and on freeways it was crazy loud. One day on my way home I took these videos and that was the last time that trans ever made it a mile. While i was at speed i think the bearings finally gave way cause I heard something go blow up and made some horrible nasty sounds, and then I lost 6th gear, then 5th. Limped home and towed it from there on. Ignore the check engine light, it would come on once a week or so from a bad purge valve. Since i changed the PV it has never came back on. Anyway here are some videos and a couple pictures

20181017_154319 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181017_123943 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181017_123909 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181017_123817 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

New OEM flywheel, clutch kit, slave, and finally new seals to get rid of the leaking seals (which as we know they still leak lol just a lot less) and of course new brake fluid to flush the system. And oil and filter because its there anyway. As you see by fluid choices I'm not new to this game. I swore I was using top tear trans fluid

20181017_171635 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr
20181017_172123 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

74728 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

This is what my tech was finding in the trans fluid when he drained it

Here are the videos

This is when I noticed the noise getting louder. Just listen how it was 100% coming from the trans side

20181004_064216 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181006_100517 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181006_101111 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181006_102311 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

20181006_111636 by Malachi Rosales, on Flickr

Sourced a new (used) trans locally for decent price. Here is what Motul cost me

11k trans - $900
Labor $500
Parts $430
Towing was free with AAA

And because I'm a sucker for pain, 10k later i swapped to Motul DCTF again....the shifts were so great again but 2k later i noticed a whine in second. I'm praying the damage is not already done. But i swapped to BG Syncro Shift II and have not looked back. Shifts are just as good, trans is quite again and I got it for free lol As we speak right now at 78, all is well. I believe Motul cost the trans, there are few cases of our cars going through whining trans. But the threads are far and rare. I blame the fluid, not Ford. Take it how you want. Motul will not be in this trans again.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I have 300 ready to go in and I have heard good things about it. Now I'm nervous lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Honestly can not remember when the nice started. I want to say before the DCTF

But the fact that there is another thread right under mine, with a guy who went through a trans at 10 with DCTF and that's how long I had it in mine. Hummmm I wonder

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So months later I'm finally on a computer so I can post these videos. Most will not find my random post here and there so ill put some details so this thread is the go to

I'm a firm believer that Motul trans fluid cost me my trans and 2k. I have a pretty high milage ST, it being a 17 and i just crossed 78k. I feel most you guys do not have the issues I did because most you guys don't have the miles i do on Motul fluid.

0-11k OEM fluid
11k-50k Motul 300
50k-64k Motul DCTF

I might be off on the miles, I don't feel like looking for papers of when i did the change to DCTF, it was 40 or 50k. Either way you see I had Motul for 50k miles or so. I want to say for the last 10k or so I noticed a whine in all gears/no gears. It was at idle or driving. If the trans was spinning it was making noise. From pervious experience with bad clutches I was sure it was trans noise. But I kept driving the car cause I'm dumb, i should have took it in before 60k because at 64k it was over. The whine went from slight to super loud. It would growl and growl and on freeways it was crazy loud. One day on my way home I took these videos and that was the last time that trans ever made it a mile. While i was at speed i think the bearings finally gave way cause I heard something go blow up and made some horrible nasty sounds, and then I lost 6th gear, then 5th. Limped home and towed it from there on. Ignore the check engine light, it would come on once a week or so from a bad purge valve. Since i changed the PV it has never came back on. Anyway here are some videos and a couple pictures

New OEM flywheel, clutch kit, slave, and finally new seals to get rid of the leaking seals (which as we know they still leak lol just a lot less) and of course new brake fluid to flush the system. And oil and filter because its there anyway. As you see by fluid choices I'm not new to this game. I swore I was using top tear trans fluid

Here are the videos

This is when I noticed the noise getting louder. Just listen how it was 100% coming from the trans side

11k trans - $900
Labor $500
Parts $430
Towing was free with AAA

And because I'm a sucker for pain, 10k later i swapped to Motul DCTF again....the shifts were so great again but 2k later i noticed a whine in second. I'm praying the damage is not already done. But i swapped to BG Syncro Shift II and have not looked back. Shifts are just as good, trans is quite again and I got it for free lol As we speak right now at 78, all is well. I believe Motul cost the trans, there are few cases of our cars going through whining trans. But the threads are far and rare. I blame the fluid, not Ford. Take it how you want. Motul will not be in this trans again.
How much fluid did you put in each time you Changed it? 1.7L OR 2.0L?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have 300 ready to go in and I have heard good things about it. Now I'm nervous lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If it was me....Id get rid of that shit and get Ravenol 70w80. meets Ford spec....but I have been told by others that the motul 300 also does too....soo hmmmm.[crazyeye]

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Yeah I had 300 for a while but hated the shifts

Had DCTF for not long and bye bye trans. Ravenol.....hummmmm same weight as the BG stuff too and that works good so far

Edit and I always use 2L

For the love of God rookies. Please don't reply with a quote of the original post

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

0-11k OEM fluid
11k-50k Motul 300
50k-64k Motul DCTF

Here are the videos

11k trans - $900
Labor $500
Parts $430
Towing was free with AAA

I will agree with you Hardboiledegg...2L that shit! [wrenchin]

P.S Love you too Snickerdoodle!
!
You also need to add some flare to your vehicle by adding the colored Trim ring around that shift boot!

Last edited:
thanks for posting, sorry you went through this. my own anecdotal evidence is that my first fiesta chewed through transmissions - all on stock fluid (link). The car was eventually bought back by Ford under lemon law and i got a new one. 28k miles so far and no issues... but i literally just bought motul 300 last night! I need to do some more research i guess, but what is the difference between motul 300 and DCTF?

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
I couldn't tell you more then what their titles say. One is DUAL CLUTCH TRANSMISSION FLUID and the other is GEAR OIL

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Sorry to hear that dude. I'm not defending Motul in any sense but I think you are getting bad luck with FiST transmissions. You just may be one of the few who've gotten oddball/black sheep transmissions. AFAIK the general public haven't had many problems with the FiST transmissions.

I'm at 18k miles on my 2017 and don't really think the shifts feel bad to where I feel the need to change to a different brand/type of fluid. I already have 2 quarts of OEM fluid ready to put in very soon. Don't see the need to change to something else.

SST

How to make sure i get 2.0L of fluid in my tranny? and why the 1.7? is it hard to fill 2.0L?

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
To the above post about being unlikely. I agree against it because on the people who had failure. Far less miles, most are pretty new actually. My problems did not start till way further down the line.

OP
H

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
Sorry I don't quite much

He was saying I'm just one of the unlikely guys who had trans problems. And I say no cause the few people who had issues were low mileage ones when they had issues. Mine did not happen till way down the line with Motul fluid in the trans. Is it possible? Yes

But I feel fluid is the cause, coincidence is too close

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Been running the motul for over 10k miles. Haven't heard one noise from the transmission.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thanks for raising this question. I’ve been running 300 at 2L for at least 10K miles with no noises. It takes a while to warm up, but I find it acceptable. Perhaps I’ll switch back to OEM next flush.