Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonFiST View Post
    Just fill it with 2 Qts. Of the fluid of your choice....Then Call it a day....
    2 LITERS, but yes
    2017 Magnetic, w/Recaros

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    TN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisSTrouble View Post
    Actually, I’m the original poster of that. It was my trans that crapped the bed at 7k. As an update, yes, I’m still running Motul 300, and I’m now at 93k miles with zero issues.
    On a side note; the reason that I know the 1.67L fill spec is wrong (besides Ford themselves telling me) is in the transmission fill procedure. It states to fil to 1” below the fill hole. If you were to follow that procedure and then immediately drain the transmission, you’d end up with roughly 2.2L, not 1.67.
    How do you contact a Master Tech at Ford? Any numbers or such? Bet they could get us a copy of the TSB.

2016 White Platinum, Moonroof.

Mountune MP215, Resonator delete, max legal tint, Sound Symposer delete, Yellow Lamin X fogs, Damond Motorsports OCC,Yellow Brake Calipers, Mountune Yellow shifter, Yellow ST tags.

Senior Member 1173 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by babyivan View Post
    2 LITERS, but yes
    Gold jacket ....green jacket....

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Member 113 Rep Points MisSTrouble's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jmrtsus View Post
    How do you contact a Master Tech at Ford? Any numbers or such? Bet they could get us a copy of the TSB.
    Any decent-sized Ford dealership is likely to have a master or senior master tech in their employ. I called the dealership which warrantied my transmission and wanted to know why they had overfilled it. To which his reply was that instructions came with the new transmission from Ford Engineering to ignore the fill spec limit and to fill according to the procedure. Which came out to a little over 2L. I don’t remember him mentioning a TSB on it, but that doesn’t surprise me. I work for a major automotive supplier and these types of “engineering directives” aren’t uncommon. Like us, I’m sure that Ford and Getrag has warranty engineers who’s purpose is to investigate root causes of warranty returns and insert countermeasures as needed. I don’t know the percentage of transmission bearing failures, but seeing as how it isn’t a safety critical situation and it’s such low volume, I doubt a TSB will be issued.

At the end of the day, it’s your car. If you want to stick with the 1.67L/150,000 mile fluid lifespan, then great. You’re doing what you’re told to do by Ford. If you wanna fill according to the procedure, which means 2L, then also great. You’re also doing what you’re told to do by Ford. I’m not here to tell you what’s right or wrong, I’m simply telling you my experience with my car. Considering I lost my first 1.67L-filled trans at 6k with an all stock setup, and I have 83,000 miles on my 2L-filled (by Ford) 2nd trans, I’ll be sticking with 2L. Especially considering most of my 2nd transmission’s life has been spent coping with 300+whp. It’s just my opinion tho.

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any decent-sized Ford dealership is likely to have a master or senior master tech in their employ. I called the dealership which warrantied my transmission and wanted to know why they had overfilled it. To which his reply was that instructions came with the new transmission from Ford Engineering to ignore the fill spec limit and to fill according to the procedure. Which came out to a little over 2L. I don’t remember him mentioning a TSB on it, but that doesn’t surprise me. I work for a major automotive supplier and these types of “engineering directives” aren’t uncommon. Like us, I’m sure that Ford and Getrag has warranty engineers who’s purpose is to investigate root causes of warranty returns and insert countermeasures as needed. I don’t know the percentage of transmission bearing failures, but seeing as how it isn’t a safety critical situation and it’s such low volume, I doubt a TSB will be issued.

At the end of the day, it’s your car. If you want to stick with the 1.67L/150,000 mile fluid lifespan, then great. You’re doing what you’re told to do by Ford. If you wanna fill according to the procedure, which means 2L, then also great. You’re also doing what you’re told to do by Ford. I’m not here to tell you what’s right or wrong, I’m simply telling you my experience with my car. Considering I lost my first 1.67L-filled trans at 6k with an all stock setup, and I have 83,000 miles on my 2L-filled (by Ford) 2nd trans, I’ll be sticking with 2L. Especially considering most of my 2nd transmission’s life has been spent coping with 300+whp. It’s just my opinion tho.
    Miss trouble....how in the Sam hell do you have 93k on your FiST already? I remember when you joined! That's totally cray cray!

Last edited by TyphoonFiST; 03-14-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Member 113 Rep Points MisSTrouble's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TyphoonFiST View Post
    Miss trouble....how in the Sam hell do you have 93k on your FiST already? I remember when you joined! That's totally cray cray!

Cuz I’m gangsta! Lol!

Seriously tho, I drive a 65mile daily round trip to work and back, and I work 6 days a week most of the time. Plus, factor in drives to car events in Dallas, which is 1.5hrs one way, cruises, etc. it all adds up.

Member #
    Medals
    State
    NY
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jmrtsus View Post
    Focus on this part.

On a side note; the reason that I know the 1.67L fill spec is wrong (besides Ford themselves telling me) is in the transmission fill procedure. It states to fill to 1” below the fill hole. If you were to follow that procedure and then immediately drain the transmission, you’d end up with roughly 2.2L, not 1.67.
    You can't go wrong here if you follow the factory service manual's method of filling the gearbox. It won't really matter what the "spec" volume number is.
    2017 Magnetic, w/Recaros

Member #
    Medals
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Cuz I’m gangsta! Lol!

Seriously tho, I drive a 65mile daily round trip to work and back, and I work 6 days a week most of the time. Plus, factor in drives to car events in Dallas, which is 1.5hrs one way, cruises, etc. it all adds up.
    Mines a 15 ...just turned 50k...and I've driven to the Keys in Fl from Mn....I thought I put miles on mine....cripes! Keep on rocking in the free world!

Last edited by TyphoonFiST; 03-14-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Senior Member 397 Rep Points danbfree's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The procedure was meant to be used by a technician, with the car level on a lift. As for what you can use to check 1”, you could use almost anything. I believe one guy bent some weedeater line at a 90 angle and trimmed one end to 1”, then used it as a dipstick of sorts, filling and checking until it showed up on the end of the line. In the end, when you fill to 1” below the fill hole, you’ll get roughly 2.2L. As for me, I just pour in 2L and call it good, and I’ve had no issues.
    My personal opinion is that it’s less important about what you use, whether it’s stock, Motul, Ravenol, etc; and more important to use the proper amount of it.

As an aside, if your trans has already started to whine, no amount of fluid or brand change will save you. The damage has already been done, and it’s just a matter of time.
    Agree that the amount is most important, can't agree that once the whine starts then the damage is done, I noticed mine started whining a bit since pretty much brand new but since I changed it out with a full 2L at 12k miles it fixed it, period. In other words, a mild whine when near new may be literally from being low on fluid, so taking care of it right away is the best thing to do.
    '17 Magnetic - black wheels/red calipers - New Feb, '18.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30/93 with Cobb TC at 3.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/shroud cut, upgraded crossover and turbo inlet, symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 electric recirc DV, 18" glasspack muffler swap with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder plugs.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine upper side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, upholstered leather padded arm rest.
    Lighting: Techmax proper reflector LED low beams, DeAutoLED bright white reverse and trunk LED's
    Next Steps: Intercooler, induction hose, tint, Eibach springs, hybrid, seats

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    TN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!

I'm sorry I thought you talked to FoMoCo not the dealer.........still looking for something from Ford saying the fill level is incorrect in our cars. I'm glad things worked out well for you. The dealer is not "Ford" they are a Ford authorized Dealership. When you say you spoke with "Ford" that would imply an actual Ford employee. That is what is missing in this picture, I was sure you talked to a dealer "tech" certainly not Ford. Thanks for your input.

2016 White Platinum, Moonroof.

Mountune MP215, Resonator delete, max legal tint, Sound Symposer delete, Yellow Lamin X fogs, Damond Motorsports OCC,Yellow Brake Calipers, Mountune Yellow shifter, Yellow ST tags.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 46789101112131415161718192021 LastLast