Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2019 FIST clunking while shifting?

Just purchased a 2019 and today is day 2 of driving. Hit 150 miles and as I was downshifting coming into town noticed the clunking every time I down or up shifted. Stop at dealer and they said to drive it and see if it gets worse. Supposed to bring it in at 1500 miles for them to check everything out. Shouldn't have an issue already. And also babying the car. Was actually using cruise control at 60mph on interstate. Not happy right now.

Any ideas of what it could be?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sorry to here your problems. Did they check all your motor mounts? I have 6k on my ‘17 and those were the first things I modified. I couldn’t stand the clunking when I would get on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
Sorry to here your problems. Did they check all your motor mounts? I have 6k on my ‘17 and those were the first things I modified. I couldn’t stand the clunking when I would get on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They said to drive it till the 1500 mile mark and bring it in to check over everything unless the clunk gets worse

OP
B
Thread Starter #4
Akondo, what all mounts did u change? I see the RMM is discussed much on here

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
So went for another drive, tried a audio recording and can't hear the clunking.
But you can hear it through 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.
When pushing in clutch and shift I'll hear the clunk, when I let out on the clutch I hear a second clunk.

Any gear higher than 3rd can't hear the clunk sound. Wish I had a go pro to put under car.

Love the car but this is nuts. Car didn't do this yesterday when I test drove it or drove it home.

If you can, go to the dealership and ask them to give you another car same as yours and take it for a drive.. The difference will be like black on white if it not the same then you can say give me a new car before the dealership can blame it on your driving... They will blame it on you if they can.. that's what I would do anyway.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Flaco

2000 Post Club
I think the noise your hearing is the dual mass flywheel mine dose it sometimes when I shift early 1-2 and 2-3. I get lazy sometime and let the rev's drop to low.

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
I think the noise your hearing is the dual mass flywheel mine dose it sometimes when I shift early 1-2 and 2-3. I get lazy sometime and let the rev's drop to low.
So i am driving it easy, yesterday I did the same thing when I was test driving the car. But never heard this clunking going on.

Flaco

2000 Post Club
So i am driving it easy, yesterday I did the same thing when I was test driving the car. But never heard this clunking going on.

I don't hear it all the time either. I've had 2 FiST's (with 125k miles accumulated) both gear boxes have behave the same. A non problem for me a this point.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
There is a difference between when changing the gears itself if you can literally hear and FEEL a CLUNK vs. a bit of higher tone CLANK when letting out the clutch. The later is totally normal for the dual mass flywheel that may sound bad but actually makes clutch engagement itself very smooth. Now if the gears themselves actually CLUNK and you can feel it in your hand while shifting, then you have the aforementioned halfshaft issue. I hate to go deeper into this and tell you to change something on a brand new car, but part of the fix for that is using 2L instead of the factory 1.6L of gear oil. So one of the first things I recommend is switching to 2L of Ravenol MTF-2 gear oil. It actually meets the exact Ford spec for the trans and is FAR better than the grey and watery DCT fluid that I swear they decided to put in there because they had so much extra of it from the DCT base Fiesta and Focus they came out with right before the FiST. They must have said "Screw it, it will get them to 60k then the warranty runs out and we can get rid of this extra crap." I changed my fluid over at 12k and immediately felt improvement and has gotten better and better with more miles, before that I would grind gears, and have even good shifts "crunch" a bit. Now, only the very first 1st-2nd shift on a cold startup is a little rough, and that improves by letting the car warm up for a full minute before taking off, even though we really shouldn't have to. Otherwise the trans itself can handle lots of power, it's just the feel for it sucks with the garbage fluid in it.

OP
B
Thread Starter #14
There is a difference between when changing the gears itself if you can literally hear and FEEL a CLUNK vs. a bit of higher tone CLANK when letting out the clutch. The later is totally normal for the dual mass flywheel that may sound bad but actually makes clutch engagement itself very smooth. Now if the gears themselves actually CLUNK and you can feel it in your hand while shifting, then you have the aforementioned halfshaft issue. I hate to go deeper into this and tell you to change something on a brand new car, but part of the fix for that is using 2L instead of the factory 1.6L of gear oil. So one of the first things I recommend is switching to 2L of Ravenol MTF-2 gear oil. It actually meets the exact Ford spec for the trans and is FAR better than the grey and watery DCT fluid that I swear they decided to put in there because they had so much extra of it from the DCT base Fiesta and Focus they came out with right before the FiST. They must have said "Screw it, it will get them to 60k then the warranty runs out and we can get rid of this extra crap." I changed my fluid over at 12k and immediately felt improvement and has gotten better and better with more miles, before that I would grind gears, and have even good shifts "crunch" a bit. Now, only the very first 1st-2nd shift on a cold startup is a little rough, and that improves by letting the car warm up for a full minute before taking off, even though we really shouldn't have to. Otherwise the trans itself can handle lots of power, it's just the feel for it sucks with the garbage fluid in it.
Thanks for the info, so it's the clank sound when shifting and releasing the clutch.

So I will switch the fluid this weekend. Also have a RMM coming as well as the power flex upper motor mount and transmission mount.

Will update on what is the result.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks for the info, so it's the clank sound when shifting and releasing the clutch.

So I will switch the fluid this weekend. Also have a RMM coming as well as the power flex upper motor mount and transmission mount.

Will update on what is the result.
Smart move to go that route now, not only did the shifting itself improve significantly, the clutch clank went away over time as well. Glad you can take advantage of knowing whats helped us... don't forget a short shift plate as well. Nice ones as low as $60 and takes a good 25% off the throw cleanly.