Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New rim with TPS?

Hey all,
I cracked my rim [mecry]
Damn useless tires,
Anyway,
I was thinking of going with a set of plain 15" rims like the spare,but they don't have a TPS system.
Is there a solution?
What are the cheapest rims with tps that fit? (Preferably black).

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's just a sensor inside the wheel connected to the valve stem and can be replaced. Or you get another set of wheels and just deal with the TPMS light on until you put new wheels or wheel with a sensor into the rotation again.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Alrighty,
So I swapped out the stock 17" low profile tires, and rims, and man, were they in a bad shape!
Just did a few rides on the interstate, and paint chipped off, scratches everywhere, even dents in them; and of course the famous crack in the rim making it utterly useless.

So I had the option of swapping out the bad one with a $217 second hand rim, or just buy $50 steelies with $50 hankook tires, and $39 tpms system,
So I chose for the latter.
The stock steel reserve tires are lighter in weight than the alloy rims, but the 16" rims we're about the same weight.

I also equipped them with Hankook Ventus V2 205/55R16 tires.
My initial impressions are,
It's a bit harder to start from a dead stop, due to the tires being a bit heavier on the edges, than the alloy rims (who were more center heavy).
The tires also are about 1 inch taller than stock, so I got 1 inch more tire, and 1inch less rim. That's 2 inch more meaty fat tubes on my rims!

I chose for the 205 55 rather than a smaller version, because they were a bit meatier, fatter looking, and were the cheapest ones online.
Didn't buy Chinese.
The Hankook Ventuses are Korean made, and has become a reputable brand now. Steel braided tires, and man, the ride is now so soft and comfy!

No real perceivable MPG loss, perhaps within 1MPG, but nearly all road noise is gone, and the car feels like it's gliding over the road, where as before, I would feel every pebble.

I used 5mm spacers, to bring out the tire a bit more, makes it meaner looking.

On the con side, some people don't like steel rims.
I don't particularly mind, as most cars around here are now alloy, steel rims stand out a bit more.
Aside from acceleration, first gear feels better. No longer hopelessly undergeared, but .. kind of normal. Second gear did lose some pull, even in sports mode.
Third gear... Well... It feels like a normal car. Less peppy.
Fixing that, would work when boosting hp a bit to 225 or 250HP.

So I lose some of the peppyness, but gain more ride quality!
And I just love the black rims under the sunset orange! Much better than the boring silver color.

Plus, less worry about cracking inferior quality rims!

IMG-20190314-174604.jpg
IMG-20190314-174556.jpg
IMG-20190314-174432.jpg
IMG-20190314-174441.jpg

OP
M
Thread Starter #6
Painted

Surely looks a lot nicer with some tire paint on those hand-cock tires:

View attachment 20047

So far Mpg readout dropped by 5%, but it also underreads by 4%.
So a 1% MPG drop isn't that bad! Accounts for less than 0.3MPG loss.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
@ Typhoon, sorry, didn't read the message until now.
No, it's a 2016. Put 16" rims on it, with a 5mm spacer. Makes a difference in how the tires look towards the body.

No real increase in body roll. Aside from reduced road noise, there's also a bit less feel in the corners (a bit harder to estimate when the tires will give out in track mode; but nothing different from stock tires in sport, or normal mode).

New tire pens have arrived.
I love the Ventus tires. Will paint 'Ventus' on there as well!
Let's see how long they will last.
With a treadwear estimate of 66k miles on a small body like this, I hope they will last me at least 50k in real life!

Bought mine for like ~$55 a piece, but I see they're double the price now!

TPMS sensors work well. Took a while to get used to the odd system. Sensor remote was like $9, and worked well.
Cheapest sensors were like $10 per tire.

So far MPG readout dropped from 31,5 MPG actual, to 29MPG with the taller tires.
The tire sizes are 205/55R16s, so 1.4" or 6% taller; which means my actual MPG is closer to 30.7MPG (29 * 1.06).
Well worth the swap!

So far I only had a minor scraping of the tire on the inside of the wheel well, when hitting a hard bump. But no damage.
With the spacers I can also turn all the way, without the tires scraping in the corners (unless I also hit potholes in the corners, haven't tried yet).

The 6% less torque I do notice; so perhaps it would go well with a new intercooler and turbo upgrade, as well as a tune.
Also I probably would have gone with aluminum rims, if the selection for 4x108 was a little better.
Nothing really sparked my attention, to the point of me just getting steelies.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That looks to be Orange Spice with the pic taken during overcast which would make the car a 2017 as Ford did not offer Orange Spice in 2016 they offered Molten Orange which that car is not. Unless that was crashed 2106 someoe had repainted in Orange Spice.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
That looks to be Orange Spice with the pic taken during overcast which would make the car a 2017 as Ford did not offer Orange Spice in 2016 they offered Molten Orange which that car is not. Unless that was crashed 2106 someoe had repainted in Orange Spice.
Is possible. I bought it somewhere by the end of 2016 (according to my papers November). Perhaps I got lucky and got one of the first 2017 models!