Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Humpy's Misguided Adventure

Hi guys! this is my freakn build thread!

it all started about a year ago when i had an itch to buy a fast sporty car, the sort that i had been wanting for the past decade. i didn't *need* a new car, i had just finished paying off my last one and it was running great for 180k miles. i certainly didn't need to fit my 74" inches into a tiny car but i was damn tired of watching 21 yo kids roaming around in the cars that i always wanted, making half the money that i made at best.

i was doing my research and it came down to four cars: a Miata, a 370Z, a FoST, and a FiST. the 370z was the coolest but it was outside of my price range for an NA V6 with terrible gas mileage and higher insurance. i needed something that i could drive 90 miles a day. i loved the Miata, it was certainly my first choice and it had the best MPGs but i decided that i would need *some* storage space in the vehicle.

that left the FoST and the FiST. by then i had pretty much already decided on the FoST because of the extra power but i decided to start watching reviews and reading the forums before i made a final decision. every review i could find had nothing but nice things to say about the FiST, "a FWD Miata" was reported multiple times. ultimately it was this forum that swayed me toward the FiST.

my first mod was a *mostly* rear seat delete and tire/jack delete. the improvement in acceleration was *very* noticeable, as noticeable as the tendency of the rear end to break loose in hard cornering. totally worth it. my MPGs improved by about 0.5 and i got pretty good at turning just hard enough that the car would swing itself straight as i laid into it.

after that it was a resonator delete. i love the grumble from the exhaust as the engine comes off of compression but i can do without whatever freakn rattle that accompanied this mod. i just recently installed Cobb Exhaust hangers and its still there.

a few weeks ago i decided to go big and i picked up $5500 bucks worth of stuff for this thing. most of it is on its way.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #2
speaking of stuff on its way, this just arrived a few hours ago. thanks to Ron for a speedy delivery of this fellow. now i just gotta wait for the intercooler and everything else to get here!

turbo pic.jpg

Wow i thought i had a case of impulse buying XD Is that the whoosh hybrid ?! Can't wait to see how it'll turn out for you , excited for your mods! Cheers!

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #7
yep, the Whoosh Sucky McBlow. or whatever Ron names it.

its gonna have to sit for another few weeks tho as i steel my nerves enough to dare the install. i could get a shop to do it but i need to keep the install cost under 1000 bucks to justify my laziness to do it.

Last edited:
OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #8
so i got a bunch of stuff in the car. i got the Konig Hypergrams and the Direzza III's on today. i got the MAP intake on last week and the MAP intercooler on a week before that. i sent some logs to Adam and i should have a finalized tune by next week, weather permitting.

the performance increase is absolutely astounding over stock, especially with the net 16 pounds off of the drivetrain. i was impressed with the added torque from ADAMs stage 1 tune. his stage two tune added a lot of top end to power curve. but the intake and wheels together have ripped this thing loose. i was suspicious that the intake would add any power whatsoever over a K&N filter but i was wrong. very wrong. the increased acceleration *almost* felt like i had taken the seats and tire out of the back of the car. car- wheels and tires.jpg cart-intake installed.jpg car- intercooler.jpg car-wheels and tires side view.jpg

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #9
the MAP intercooler install was billed at a 2-3 hour job. it took me almost 6 hours using jack stands and the OEM car jack. considering that, i am a complete novice at this. i had all the recommended tools but i had to stop and take reference pics so that i wouldn't forget what went where and i had to constantly refer to the tutorials on what to do next.

another complication was that there are a few extra bits to the 2018 model that aren't on the models in the videos. overall it wasn't a big deal *UNTIL* i had to put the bumper back on.

lets just say that the larger intercooler makes the bumper a much more snug fit than before. if i have to take the bumper off again then i am definitely going to shave bits of it down so that it fits next time.

dmb

Keep it up bro, Looking good. take your time and check everything 3 times. you might be looking at a radiator and a 180 thermostat with that turbo come this summer.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #11
the MAP intake was an easy install except that they didn't ship the lines that came with it *or* the hardware for the MAF sensor. the OEM bolts wouldn't work and i had to take a trip to Lowes to get some metric socket bolts ( 3mm allen wrench i think.) the only difficult part of the install was getting the intake bolted to the engine with the harnesses in the way. eventually the lines came in and eventually Emily at Tune+ gave me the install instructions because MAP saw fit not to bother with any of that tedious nonsense.

overall i am very pleased with the performance of the intake but i won't stay on for long lol. there is a very noticeable metallic whistle most of the time when i accelerate and i can hear it over the music at 11 volume if i am paying attention to it. i like the blow off noises but i will likely end up with a stock-ish air box like Mountunes.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #12
why would i need a new radiator? please tell me the stock one can handle a few pulls a day with more power.

why would i need a new radiator? please tell me the stock one can handle a few pulls a day with more power.
Usually only people who track get radiators or need one realistically , 17 and up mostly don't have issues with cooling , my temps never really exceed 200 beating on it on the mountain road uphill BUT oil temps do usually increase all the way to 230+ . For that reason i recommend an oil cooler especially for the upgraded turbo and if you delete the stock oil/water cooler it should also take a good load off the stock rad. Keep an eye on coolant temps as well i did have a friend with 2018 that had heat issues. I love how you have the MAP stuff like me i think it's bonkers quality for cheap and yes intercooler is a tight fit but 500whp rating is a good plus for the size. Can't wait on the outcome for the whoosh turbo , hardest decision i'm having to make after the suspension XD.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #14
i was originally gonna go with Cobb stuff but Adam gave me a discount on the already cheap MAP stuff and i couldn't turn it down. thanks to that i am about 500 bucks under budget.

if i wasn't chasing numbers then i would have never got the turbo after experiencing the car like this. i would have settled with FBO's, custom tune, coilovers, and weight mods. i would have stuck with the stock rim size too.

but i didn't go into this just to get a "fun" car. no. this has got to be the baddest car that i will likely ever own and its got to be one of the baddest on the road for less than 30k invested

dmb

Boost builds heat, the same reason you have the FMIC Hopefully you won't need one. ask Ron if he has one on his test mule. you can ask Adam if he thinks you need one too. to each his own but a blown head gasket sucks big time. Just a thought Bro, something to keep a eye on. keeping the engine cool will help to keep the oil cool also. enjoy the ride i'm sure you will. Good luck Dennis

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #16
what should my engine oil temps be at, ideally? usually they don't get higher than 215ish if i am hauling it and they tend to hover around 180 most of the time.

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #17
i got the Whoosh! turbo on and i am on the 2nd revision of Adam's tune! i went ahead and posted a quick log that i took on my way back from doing the actual logs. the log started at 3300 rpm so the torque figures are off a bit. i also smoothed the hell out of it so that i wouldn't get too crunk from the results.

i decided to post this one because it was on the flattest road and i wanted to show as realistic numbers as possible. Screenshot (6).png

Jerickson88

i got the Whoosh! turbo on and i am on the 2nd revision of Adam's tune! i went ahead and posted a quick log that i took on my way back from doing the actual logs. the log started at 3300 rpm so the torque figures are off a bit. i also smoothed the hell out of it so that i wouldn't get too crunk from the results.

i decided to post this one because it was on the flattest road and i wanted to show as realistic numbers as possible. View attachment 20333
I bet that's a freaking handful, in a good way!

OP
Humpy Mcsaddles
Thread Starter #19
hell yeah it is! but i have the traction control set at a default "4" and i have the 4 point front traction bar from Pierce to keep it straight. torque steer isn't an issue whatsoever at the moment but i haven't ripped into any curves yet.

Jerickson88

hell yeah it is! but i have the traction control set at a default "4" and i have the 4 point front traction bar from Pierce to keep it straight. torque steer isn't an issue whatsoever at the moment but i haven't ripped into any curves yet.
I can see doing this later this year (fall bonus) I have some other things I want to do first.