Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Help troubleshooting, Strong metallic smell when exiting car.

Spork1569

Hi all,
Recently I've noticed a metallic smell whenever I park my car and I've been trying to pinpoint the source so I can fix it. Usually smells more if I drive the car hard.

Mods on the car are AP(would also be able to monitor certain parameters if that would help get an idea of what is causing it), resonator delete, symposer delete, hot side intercooler pipe, and recently did the first oil change(since getting car, 2016 fist approaching 32k miles), and brakes not too long ago(around 30k miles). The smell somewhat reminds me of the smell new cat back emits when it burns off oil but not nearly as strong. Also doesn't penetrate into the cabin while driving, I only smell it when I exit the car.

Thought it might be brakes burning but I smelled around and it seems to be strongest from somewhere in the engine bay. Temps seem normal and boost is holding fine so I'm hoping it's an easy-ish fix. Oil level seems about the same as before and coolant is just above minimum but I've been meaning to top it off more towards the middle of the range.

Been losing sleep trying to Google and scour the various forums so any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #3
Do you have silicone hoses anywhere (e.g., coolant hoses)?
Only thing I can think of is the symposer delete is silicone. Would it get hot enough to give off a smell?

It's the silicone delete kit from Woosh currently installed.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Only thing I can think of is the symposer delete is silicone. Would it get hot enough to give off a smell?

It's the silicone delete kit from Woosh currently installed.
It's probably something else. With some silicone coolant hoses, you can smell the coolant because they're gas permeable; I wouldn't necessarily characterize that smell as "metallic" but I thought it was worth checking.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #5
It's probably something else. With some silicone coolant hoses, you can smell the coolant because they're gas permeable; I wouldn't necessarily characterize that smell as "metallic" but I thought it was worth checking.
I was thinking coolant but it doesn't necessarily smell sweet to me. Unless the orange coolant has a different smell than the regular green stuff I'm unaware of.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you know what a burnt clutch smells like? Do you notice the smell even if you take a short, slow drive? Are you running a custom tune with your AP?

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #7
The smell doesn't remind me of burnt clutch and I feel like I've been babying the clutch in this car as it's the first car I own that I really cherish and take care of.

. I am running a Cobb stage 1 tune ots if that makes a difference, no custom tune.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The smell doesn't remind me of burnt clutch and I feel like I've been babying the clutch in this car as it's the first car I own that I really cherish and take care of.

. I am running a Cobb stage 1 tune ots if that makes a difference, no custom tune.
It would make a difference if the tune you were running was not appropriate for your modifications. What is your oil level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #9
It would make a difference if the tune you were running was not appropriate for your modifications. What is your oil level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oil is normal, around 3/4 of the way to max.

When you drive it hard, try disabling traction and stability control completely.
I've noticed that my little blueberry stinks less after a hard drive with that disabled.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #11
I'll give it a shot on my way home and see if it stinks any less. Thanks.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #12
Also forgot to mention I made the switch to ceramic pads instead of the OEM, is it possible they have a smell to them when heating up? Have never had ceramic brakes before these.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also forgot to mention I made the switch to ceramic pads instead of the OEM, is it possible they have a smell to them when heating up? Have never had ceramic brakes before these.
This is likely the culprit. When did you make the switch to the new pads? Did you perform a proper bed in procedure after changing the pads?

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #14
This is likely the culprit. When did you make the switch to the new pads? Did you perform a proper bed in procedure after changing the pads?
I followed the instructions that came with the pads so to the best of my knowledge I did. It was done about 1500 miles ago though.

OP
Spork1569

Spork1569

Thread Starter #15
When you drive it hard, try disabling traction and stability control completely.
I've noticed that my little blueberry stinks less after a hard drive with that disabled.
This actually helped, smell wasn't as pungent so it could possibly be brakes after all. Will try and check it out this weekend. Been meaning to paint calipers too so win win I guess