Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tunes- for a Newbie

I keep reading about available tunes for the FIST. Cobb Access Port, Stratified, etc. I am a newbie for sure when it comes to tunes- I read about them but I am not the best with computers and have a hard time understanding the basics and how to install them.

I just read about the Stratified Tune- do I need the Cobb Accesport first? The Stratified site says that the tune is sent via E Mail? So what do you do from there? Download it to a USB, then install it on the car, or to Cobb Accessport first?

My questions may seem so obvious to some but it seems so complicated to me- and I keep hearing how the tune really wakes up the car.

SrsBsns

Definitely do some searching on the site here. There are a lot of good resources and things you'll want to know before getting a tune.

1. You need an Accessport. This will plug in to your OBD-II port. The Accessport (AP) will allow you to communicate with the car's ECU and replace the stock tune with another tune of your choice. The tune will control many things such as boost pressure and timing.

2. There are a wide varieties of tunes available. COBB offers "stages" of tunes. These levels are meant to be used to maximize specific modifications. Generally OTS (Off the shelf) tunes are safe, but if you're increasing your boost pressure, you'll want to make sure you've got a larger intercooler to help keep temps in line. The tunes that come with the AP are known as OTS tunes and are available to you with the AP.

3. There are other vendors like Dizzy or Stratified which offer more aggressive tunes and custom tunes. Generally, COBB tunes are known to be a little more conservative. The other vendors can give you a tune, which would be programmed to your specific mods, or they can give you a custom tune if you're willing to send them your car's data. They send you these tunes via email, and you load them to the AP, and then load them onto your car.

4. There are other things you can do with tunes as well, like having a valet mode. If you select the valet tune, boost will be severely limited, as will the max RPM limit. You can purchase multiple tunes that will allow you to run E30, a mix of gasoline and ethanol.

Downsides:

I've read mixed information about the risk of tunes. The biggest one is that it will reset your ignition cycle count, so if you had to take the car in for warranty work, they would know that you've had an aftermarket tune on the car and could deny your claim, even if you've removed the tune prior to going to the dealership. I've read that it depends on the dealer, but just know that they COULD do that.

Keep searching and reading. There is TON of information on the forum for you. Just make sure you're 100% confident that it's right for you before installing.

That said, I have a Stratified tune on my '15. I have a bigger intercooler, colder plugs, an intake, and a rear motor mount (RMM). This is pretty much what is considered stage 2. I'm very happy with the tune. It makes the car feel more alive and playful.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
It's very easy to load and upload the Access port. I'm 59 and have very limited computer skills and it's a breeze. COBB'S site explains it well.

Just to let you know some of the best money i have spent on this car and most of my others , a good tune , i've gone JST after nearly everyone local had nothing but good things to say about Brian and only had to fill out the sheet they sent over email , few quick questions like which mods , car specification , type of fuel etc. And than you do a few revisions ( logging and sending files back and forth) which is all explained and guided and bada beem bada boom you have a nice street tune , most tuners on ecoboost platform are reputable since these engines aren't easy to tune.