Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So, I drove an Edge ST and nobody should be shocked with my thoughts

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
https://youtu.be/M0JPJVGohwE
[video=youtube;M0JPJVGohwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0JPJVGohwE&lc=UgwnvUjMTltRCVu301F4AaABAg[/video]

Pretty sure I am preaching to the choir with this one. Now, I didn't drive it on a track, autocross, or even the street, but I am positive my feelings won't change much from this indoor drive event.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Nope I have no interest in one at all.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Me either. Oddly, I don't hate the Explorer ST nearly as much. Either way, not interested in either one of them. I did spend a lot of time with the new Mazda3, and that greatly interests me. I wasn't able to drive one, yet.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Me either. Oddly, I don't hate the Explorer ST nearly as much. Either way, not interested in either one of them. I did spend a lot of time with the new Mazda3, and that greatly interests me. I wasn't able to drive one, yet.
The 2.5 hatchback with all-wheel drive I'm very interested in.
Thank you Mazda. It would have to be an automatic as the next car would be for my Wife.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
The 2.5 hatchback with all-wheel drive I'm very interested in.
Thank you Mazda. It would have to be an automatic as the next car would be for my Wife.
I spent a lot of time with the Mazda folks in Chicago a few weeks ago. They are real passionate about their products, cars, and driving. Even the president of Mazda USA is a Miata geek. Listening to him talk would make anyone want to buy a Mazda. He speaks directly to your soul. The Ford press event seemed like a political speech about jobs. Ok, it actually was exactly that for that reason. Mazda was the very opposite of Ford. I went to dinner with Mazda owners and media and the passion for Mazda extends from the president down the owners. Interestingly, most of the Mazda Miata owners also have a Fiesta ST. One for daily use and the other for summer. I don't ever see there being an Edge ST owners association with people passionate about their products like you see with the Miata or Fiesta ST.

SrsBsns

I don't understand the point of even letting people "test drive" these cars indoors like that. What can you learn about a car at just-above-idle speed driving on a polished concrete floor?

That's not to say that I think the Edge ST could be worthy... I feel the same way the OP does about it... but a Ferrari driven around like that would also be boring. I guess it would make better noises, but still.

jeff

2000 Post Club
You drove it inside a building at walking speed and made this evaluation? Did you drive it on the street at all? Were you able to take any corners or hammer the throttle? I'd be hesitant to make such a scathing review if you only drove it 10mph. I understand your hate for the car and what Ford has done, but unless you've driven the vehicle under normal conditions (e.g. REAL TEST DRIVE) it's really presumptuous to say the things you're saying. Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe you did do a real test drive and I missed that part...

With all due respect...usually I love your reviews/vids but this is a bit absurd.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You drove it inside a building at walking speed and made this evaluation? Did you drive it on the street at all? Were you able to take any corners or hammer the throttle? I'd be hesitant to make such a scathing review if you only drove it 10mph. I understand your hate for the car and what Ford has done, but unless you've driven the vehicle under normal conditions (e.g. REAL TEST DRIVE) it's really presumptuous to say the things you're saying. Correct me if I'm wrong, maybe you did do a real test drive and I missed that part...

With all due respect...usually I love your reviews/vids but this is a bit absurd.

LOL, I had the exact same thought. Also, hate to break it to you [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION], but the Fiesta is also a rental car..

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
It was either drive around a concrete floor or buy one, that was the only way to get any seat time. They are just starting to get out into the media fleets, but I don't have access to them. No chance to drive one outside or at any speed. I have driven a Miata RF, Ecoboost Mustang, Mustang GT (lots of them), Shelby GT500, and a few other cars in this same venue. Even on a polished floor, you know if you connect with the car. I found the Miata to be just wonderful and fun. The EcoBoost Mustang has potential, but sounds terrible. For me, the connection between me and the car takes about a minute and doesn't need more than low speed driving. I fell in love with the ST after about 30 seconds in Brazil. Knew instantly when I drove the US spec 2011 Fiesta that it wasn't the same car as my 2009 Fiesta Movement car. I could tell the Miata would be the right car for me, if they made a shooting brake version. For me, the connection is either there or it isn't. A minute with the Edge ST or a year with it wouldn't have changed my mind. There just isn't a spark, a connection, a passion with the Edge ST.

jeff

2000 Post Club
It was either drive around a concrete floor or buy one, that was the only way to get any seat time. They are just starting to get out into the media fleets, but I don't have access to them. No chance to drive one outside or at any speed. I have driven a Miata RF, Ecoboost Mustang, Mustang GT (lots of them), Shelby GT500, and a few other cars in this same venue. Even on a polished floor, you know if you connect with the car. I found the Miata to be just wonderful and fun. The EcoBoost Mustang has potential, but sounds terrible. For me, the connection between me and the car takes about a minute and doesn't need more than low speed driving. I fell in love with the ST after about 30 seconds in Brazil. Knew instantly when I drove the US spec 2011 Fiesta that it wasn't the same car as my 2009 Fiesta Movement car. I could tell the Miata would be the right car for me, if they made a shooting brake version. For me, the connection is either there or it isn't. A minute with the Edge ST or a year with it wouldn't have changed my mind. There just isn't a spark, a connection, a passion with the Edge ST.
Meh, that's like trying a pair of shoes on and making the judgment before even walking in them. I've been shocked at how much my opinion changed on a car once I got some real time behind the wheel. My buddy has an Audi S3, the car is amazing but once you're up to speed you realize how boring it is - would not buy one. Flip side, I test drove a 1991 Toyota pickup truck 5 speed a few days ago, I'm looking for a beater, wasn't expecting much but hammer that 22R-E in 2nd gear and the thing moves, it would keep up with Camaros back in it's time, plus the ride is quite balanced even for a 28-year old vehicle. Pleasantly surprised and a bit shocked - in a good way.

Walk in the shoes some - maybe run some too - before making a call.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Can't we all hate this thing together?
ford is not same company that it was especially in America I don't even consider ford's anymore.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
So are you really saying that I should not trade in my 2017 Edge V6, for the new Edge ST?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If I wanna drive An ST edge....I'll just drive my Mother's Edge sport..pretty much the same dam thing..be wary ....really wary of the leaking oil pans on the 2.7l Twin Turbos....who the Fu$k puts a plastic pan an Aluminum block? Anywho....on her third attempt to fix it also....Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
LOL, I had the exact same thought. Also, hate to break it to you [MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION], but the Fiesta is also a rental car..
Lol hate to break it you but practically all Fords are rental cars even GT350’s. Ford depends on rental fleet sale to boost numbers.

Oh and regardless of him not taking the car for a romp on the road lets just face it the Edge ST is just a ST in name. Its a fricken Domestic SUV its not a Porsche Cayenne or a Lambo URSA lol. Its not even close.
Its not even close to being something badass like a Raptor. Its weak sauce period.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Lol hate to break it you but practically all Fords are rental cars even GT350’s. Ford depends on rental fleet sale to boost numbers.

Oh and regardless of him not taking the car for a romp on the road lets just face it the Edge ST is just a ST in name. Its a fricken Domestic SUV its not a Porsche Cayenne or a Lambo URSA lol. Its not even close.
Its not even close to being something badass like a Raptor. Its weak sauce period.
Yes right on.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I do appreciate the feedback guys. I tried a few different videos at the Chicago Auto Show this year and seeing what works best so I know what to focus on for next year. The ranting test drive isn't a big hit, so that is good to know. The walk around of the new Mazda3, which I haven't posted here yet, seems to be doing better.

I have been trying to figure out how to get my anger at Ford published, and I saw the Edge ST as the perfect way to do that. It represents what I hate the most about what Ford has become. I can see that the video concept isn't popular or well received. Knowing that, I will make changes for future content. I appreciate the honest feedback!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I do appreciate the feedback guys. I tried a few different videos at the Chicago Auto Show this year and seeing what works best so I know what to focus on for next year. The ranting test drive isn't a big hit, so that is good to know. The walk around of the new Mazda3, which I haven't posted here yet, seems to be doing better.

I have been trying to figure out how to get my anger at Ford published, and I saw the Edge ST as the perfect way to do that. It represents what I hate the most about what Ford has become. I can see that the video concept isn't popular or well received. Knowing that, I will make changes for future content. I appreciate the honest feedback!
I totally agree with you about Mazda them seem to be going down the enthuisiasts road with a sense of balance. Few Japanese car companies these days seem to manage this as deftly.
Honda seems to get all polarized to fanboi streetracer riceboi esthetic of late.
Toyota is just relying on other companies to take a load off.
Nissan all but lost their way from once being Japans premier sports car oriented car company. Despite their long history of racing heritage.
Suburu well Suburu is into being the Northwestern cold climate peoples cars with a nod towards rally but soft now.

Where is Ford in all of this well they are not here in the U.S. beyond pickups and SUV’s.
[MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION] I think you had the right idea and if you had a little road time the video would have been completely effective. You were on the right tact but may if you edited the dialogue to speak about what even wrote here. About how you connect immediately to a vehicle done right and you jusf don’ t connect here with the Edge ST.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Anyone that’s been following you knows that you’re not happy about Ford killing off their real and affordable sports cars. Although I agree with what others have said- I found it entertaining. And it made me laugh a couple times, so thank you for that. All in all- I’m sure it’s a really nice ride... for an SUV.