Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mishimoto air intake kit causes engine light and limp mode

installed a Mishimoto Air intake checked and rechecked install about 5 times just to check I have done it right. I Keep getting engine spanner light as soon as I hit overboost and then i dont get any over boost so not sure what code this is but car does not throw code if I drive without hard acceleration. So i am thinking it does not like all the extra air its now getting. I have check and re checked all hose fittings and cleaned MAF sensor with MAF sensor CRC cleaner so I am at a standstill to what this issue is as the kit clearly states no tune needed.

I have contacted the supplier and Mishimoto help and no response for 2 days and counting.

Any constructive help appreciated, thanks in advance.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
installed a Mishimoto Air intake checked and rechecked install about 5 times just to check I have done it right. I Keep getting engine spanner light as soon as I hit overboost and then i dont get any over boost so not sure what code this is but car does not throw code if I drive without hard acceleration. So i am thinking it does not like all the extra air its now getting. I have check and re checked all hose fittings and cleaned MAF sensor with MAF sensor CRC cleaner so I am at a standstill to what this issue is as the kit clearly states no tune needed.

I have contacted the supplier and Mishimoto help and no response for 2 days and counting.

Any constructive help appreciated, thanks in advance.
Take that shit out of your vehicle and put it back to STOCK. That's my best advice....Mishimoto Customer service is about a worthless as a cotton candy hammer. Return it before you cant......[party]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I tried to tell you man American cars do not use the MAF sensor like the UK cars which I'm sure are the same as the Australian cars. American cars use the MAP sensor.
The intake is simply not going to work with your car, put it back to stock. Telling us you have a check engine line does nothing if you don't give us the codes.
I'm not trying to be rude, but to get help you have to respond to things. And you may hear things you don't like.
The air flow across the sensor is not setting a check engine light. I have installed plenty of intakes on different cars. If the code is directly related to the intake it's more than likely a leak somewhere especially after the sensor that would throw a code. Without the code nobody can help you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Sorry you have problems. However, Mishimojunko has been flamed on the Forum for years with warnings not to buy. The BBB says don't touch them they are crooks. The Forum says don't touch them. But people buy without researching then want help. Best advice is return it because they will never make it work. They have tried at last count 6 fixes...all failed!
Run as fast as you can from this rip off company! If you must have an intake get the Ford 2015 hose and a Mountune intake. Research it on the Forum.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
Take that shit out of your vehicle and put it back to STOCK. That's my best advice....Mishimoto Customer service is about a worthless as a cotton candy hammer. Return it before you cant......[party]
Thats what will happen if I dont get an answer soon

OP
G
Thread Starter #6
Sorry you have problems. However, Mishimojunko has been flamed on the Forum for years with warnings not to buy. The BBB says don't touch them they are crooks. The Forum says don't touch them. But people buy without researching then want help. Best advice is return it because they will never make it work. They have tried at last count 6 fixes...all failed!
Run as fast as you can from this rip off company! If you must have an intake get the Ford 2015 hose and a Mountune intake. Research it on the Forum.
I did google it up and also on this forum in search but no info or direct topic on not to buy unless its buried deep in other topics, maybe someone will stumble on this one and not fall into the trap like me.

Whats BBB?

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Straight and simple: any FiST that uses the MAF for fueling cannot have an intake that moves the placement of the MAF sensor. If you move the sensor after the EVAP port, it reads air coming in from there and it has an issue with it. Sets the wrench light and puts the car in limp mode. Only NA spec cars can use an intake that moves the placement of the MAF sensor.

OP
G
Thread Starter #9
So after 3 days i finally hear back from Mishimoto, I will keep posting responses but so far have really shed no light. BBB sounds like our consumer affairs.

Hello Glenn,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at Mishimoto.

I am not a hundred percent sure what issue you are running into. I know this intake had some intake when the 2016 model was released as the PCV system was changed. However, it looks like you have a 2015 and the issue caused a constant check engine light. Have you been able to pull the code from the ECU to identify what is running into an issue? Please let me know, I would be happy to try and troubleshoot what might be happening.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jesus Zamudio
CSR
Mishimoto Automotive

Me:

Not a "constant" check engine light only under hard acceleration when over boost is activated. Then car then wont activate over boost and needs to be turned off to get rid of check engine light. Under gentle acceleration I am able to drive car as normal with no check engine light. I do not have available a computer to tell me what codes the car is putting out and this will cost me time and money to do so tomorrow. Are you willing to compensate me for getting the car engine light codes diagnostic test?

OP
G
Thread Starter #10
Further update on the Service spanner coming on and reducing boost

I had the code read today

AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

Is this just part of the MAF? as I don't think it has a separate sensor for air temp

ps I have also sent this new info to Mishimoto for review

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Further update on the Service spanner coming on and reducing boost

I had the code read today

AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT HIGH

Is this just part of the MAF? as I don't think it has a separate sensor for air temp

ps I have also sent this new info to Mishimoto for review
Yes it's part of the MAF sensor.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
Just spoke to Pro speed racing and have arranged to send the Mishimoto air intake back. Mishimoto still have not given me and answer after 1 week of confirmation email.

This air intake has caused me nothing but headache and hours of lost time.

The factory moutune kit over here in Oz is over $2,500 dollars so I waited until my Fiesta was out of warranty to add an aftermarket air box to gain a bit more up and go but what a nightmare and disappointment it has been. One of the things that attracted me to the Fiesta ST was the amount of off the shelf aftermarket bits available. Does not look like you can even add a different air cleaner in Oz without problems so looks like its back to stock and staying that way.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just spoke to Pro speed racing and have arranged to send the Mishimoto air intake back. Mishimoto still have not given me and answer after 1 week of confirmation email.

This air intake has caused me nothing but headache and hours of lost time.

The factory moutune kit over here in Oz is over $2,500 dollars so I waited until my Fiesta was out of warranty to add an aftermarket air box to gain a bit more up and go but what a nightmare and disappointment it has been. One of the things that attracted me to the Fiesta ST was the amount of off the shelf aftermarket bits available. Does not look like you can even add a different air cleaner in Oz without problems so looks like its back to stock and staying that way.
Just add a high flow panel filter and call it a day mate! Good thing you got your money back! Mishimoto is a total dumpster fire bud! The only thing id ever buy from them is a Mishimoto box so I could take a Dump/ shit in the box and send them back shit. So they can see what it feels like to get a box full of Shit! [rockon]

OP
G
Thread Starter #14
I may take a dump in it before I send it back

Have not got any money back yet but we have a fairly strong consumer law here in Oz:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
In all fairness to Mishimoto, they are an US-based company so it's fair to assume that all their products have been tested on the USDM Fiesta, not the EU(AU)DM version. All of us Yanks know better than to attempt to install a EUDM part onto a USDM FiST without, first, verifying with the manufacturer that it will work. [MENTION=4067]Glennboy[/MENTION] - you've been pretty headstrong at ignoring the sage advice you've received on this forum about using the Mishimoto intake on your EUDM car.

All that said, fuck Mishimoto...

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
St200 airbox, or the mountune air box. Both boxes use the OEM top piece basically the only thing that's changing is the lower part.
If you get a ST200 airbox you get a new top as well with the sensor. The mountune box only includes the bottom part and you reuse the original top piece.

Iā€™ll second that. The stock box will run plenty of power for what most of us will use. Get a good filter and if youā€™re really looking to dress up
The engine a new elbow. Good luck, hope you get some money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Thread Starter #18
There was no obvious warnings about buying an aftermarket airbox for a Fiesta until I had already purchased the item from an Australian supplier. Until I installed it and had problems and even then it was quite difficult to find info on what was going on thats why I started this thread to maybe help some other unsuspecting Oz buyer. There are multiple Oz based companies supplying selling this air intake and other brand air intakes for ST in Oz so what the hell is going on there I don't know.

This is the response from Mishimoto,

Mishimoto Support
Tue, Mar 5, 7:20 AM (23 hours ago)

to me

Hello Glenn,

I apologize I did not realize you were located in Australia. We actually don't sell these on our AU site for this reason. Was the item purchased through us? Could you provide me your receipt for the item? Unfortunately, if it was not purchased from us we would not be able to offer you a refund, as this would have to be done by the vendor you purchased it from. We currently do not offer this intake anywhere outside of the US because of the differences in the cars.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Still does not explain why Australian company are selling these and advertising as easy bolt on no Tune needed. Hope this thread helps the next poor unsuspecting Oz buyer.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
There was no obvious warnings about buying an aftermarket airbox for a Fiesta until I had already purchased the item from an Australian supplier. Until I installed it and had problems and even then it was quite difficult to find info on what was going on thats why I started this thread to maybe help some other unsuspecting Oz buyer. There are multiple Oz based companies supplying selling this air intake and other brand air intakes for ST in Oz so what the hell is going on there I don't know.

This is the response from Mishimoto,

Mishimoto Support
Tue, Mar 5, 7:20 AM (23 hours ago)

to me

Hello Glenn,

I apologize I did not realize you were located in Australia. We actually don't sell these on our AU site for this reason. Was the item purchased through us? Could you provide me your receipt for the item? Unfortunately, if it was not purchased from us we would not be able to offer you a refund, as this would have to be done by the vendor you purchased it from. We currently do not offer this intake anywhere outside of the US because of the differences in the cars.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Still does not explain why Australian company are selling these and advertising as easy bolt on no Tune needed. Hope this thread helps the next poor unsuspecting Oz buyer.

Bummer :(