Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Looking some comparisons between the Michelin a/s 3+ and Nitto Neo Gens

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Im in search of a high performance a/s tire.
Ive boiled it down to 2 tires in in the stock size , 205/40/17

1) Michelin a/s 3+
2) Nitto Neo Gens

Anybody had first hand impressions of both?

From my research, the Mich is the top all arounder with good dry performance. Nog the best snow reviews tho.

The Nitto on the other hand, people say is about as close as you can get to an actual summer. The low treadwear rating lends to that theory.
But the down side is awful nad wrather handling, from what I read, downright scary.

My biggest concern with an all season tire is it getting greasy on sprited driving a hot day . I don't mind losing a little grip if the sidewall is nice and stiff for turn-in response.
I know that there's no such thing as the perfect tire,

TIA!

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Spirited driving shouldnt get tires greasy.

Maybe autocross or the like where the vehicle is really stressing the tires on an ongoing session.

I have some Federal 595ss all seasons and they never got greasy. and i was definitely not taking it easy on them on that wild road trip the So Cal guys were on last Fall!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Im in search of a high performance a/s tire.
Ive boiled it down to 2 tires in in the stock size , 205/40/17

1) Michelin a/s 3+
2) Nitto Neo Gens

Anybody had first hand impressions of both?

From my research, the Mich is the top all arounder with good dry performance. Nog the best snow reviews tho.

The Nitto on the other hand, people say is about as close as you can get to an actual summer. The low treadwear rating lends to that theory.
But the down side is awful nad wrather handling, from what I read, downright scary.

My biggest concern with an all season tire is it getting greasy on sprited driving a hot day . I don't mind losing a little grip if the sidewall is nice and stiff for turn-in response.
I know that there's no such thing as the perfect tire,

TIA!
The Michelins are junk...There is no such thing as a All season performance tire. Its a marketing ploy to get you to buy them. The Michelins were the worst tires in any type of cold weather involving snow. They would just spin at the slightest throttle input in winter and slide upon stopping far far back from destination of brake application. Find someone on The forum selling Winter time tires In the off season and pounce. I did and gota smoking deal on them and am almost done with the Bridgestone's on my summer wheel and contemplating some Frestone Indy 500 or Continental Extreme D/W. The winter time tires are a great addition for winter time driving! Keep an eye out......there are deals to be had! [party]

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
The Michelins are junk...There is no such thing as a All season performance tire. Its a marketing ploy to get you to buy them. The Michelins were the worst tires in any type of cold weather involving snow. They would just spin at the slightest throttle input in winter and slide upon stopping far far back from destination of brake application. Find someone on The forum selling Winter time tires In the off season and pounce. I did and gota smoking deal on them and am almost done with the Bridgestone's on my summer wheel and contemplating some Frestone Indy 500 or Continental Extreme D/W. The winter time tires are a great addition for winter time driving! Keep an eye out......there are deals to be had! [party]
I actually have a good winter set up 15x7 Team dynamics 15x7, 42 offest 14lbs a corner, I just think it's overkill where I live. The ultimate setup would be an all season for the winter and a true summer the rest of the year. but I think I want to go with one wheel set up, since I live in an apt, and the wife is non to pleased with all these wheels, LOL. My goal is I can get a close to summer tire feel and won't kill me on an occasional snow storm.

The Nitto are the more aggressive of the 2, chaeper as well.
The mich are built better, no doubt, have nice stiff sidewalls, an actual treadwear rating in the 400's.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Time to possibly trade In the wife! My BAE cant say anything to me with all of her shoes in Entry/Breezeway of our house. Keep the winters.....then have a dedicated set for summer. I've got 3 sets of stock wheels.....1 set bare...1 set with summers and powder coated a gold rubbed bronze. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/17148-Stockers-all-done-up! ....1 set with my winters on them.[party]

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Time to possibly trade In the wife! My BAE cant say anything to me with all of her shoes in Entry/Breezeway of our house. Keep the winters.....then have a dedicated set for summer. I've got 3 sets of stock wheels.....1 set bare...1 set with summers and powder coated a gold rubbed bronze......1 set with my winters on them.[party]
Trust me, I did that with the WRX, lol. I just think this car does not need to be so snow friendly so to speak , one just needs to be mindful of the weather at hand and drive accordingly . I'm not saying run a summertime in the winter but rather and all seasons high-performance in the winter and a summertime in the summer.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Even when I was running the Stocker Turbo the Michelins would just spin....Now I'm on a Gen2 GTX2860r with winter tires it is way better driving in the snow even though I'm running 28 lbs of boost on the high end. Then again do what you want man! [rockon]

Here I am debating between rt615k+ and NeoGens for a year almost smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO NOT for any reason go with the shitto neogens as your only year round tire, unless of course you live somewhere like arizona. They are NOT an all season, despite what they desperately want you to believe, they're only marginally an ok summer tire. I've never intentionally bought a set but I've ended up with 2 sets over the years and when it got even a bit chilly or even slightly damp they would spin under acceleration and slide in corners and when braking.
I recently thought the weather report was bs and I went to autox on my RT615K, well it started snowing and so I had to drive home in light snow and the falkens, while still very sketchy and I wouldn't recomend it, were better in the light snow than the neogens ever were in the damp.
As long as your wife can afford to buy you a new car when you crash in the snow then let her complaints lead you to get some michelins. Otherwise, keep the winter setup and get some proper summer tires. Or run your 15s year round.
Once upon a time my ex-wife thought I was nuts for insisting on having winters and summers. Then she was out driving around (in the snow) in her new focus wagon and she complained that it was sliding a bit in the rear under braking. Didn't we just get new tires she asked. Yes dear, but that's what happens when you insist I don't need to buy you snow tires. Huh, you should buy me snow tires she said. She's never complained since about having tires in the laundry room.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
DO NOT for any reason go with the shitto neogens as your only year round tire, unless of course you live somewhere like arizona. They are NOT an all season, despite what they desperately want you to believe, they're only marginally an ok summer tire. I've never intentionally bought a set but I've ended up with 2 sets over the years and when it got even a bit chilly or even slightly damp they would spin under acceleration and slide in corners and when braking.
I recently thought the weather report was bs and I went to autox on my RT615K, well it started snowing and so I had to drive home in light snow and the falkens, while still very sketchy and I wouldn't recomend it, were better in the light snow than the neogens ever were in the damp.
As long as your wife can afford to buy you a new car when you crash in the snow then let her complaints lead you to get some michelins. Otherwise, keep the winter setup and get some proper summer tires. Or run your 15s year round.
Once upon a time my ex-wife thought I was nuts for insisting on having winters and summers. Then she was out driving around (in the snow) in her new focus wagon and she complained that it was sliding a bit in the rear under braking. Didn't we just get new tires she asked. Yes dear, but that's what happens when you insist I don't need to buy you snow tires. Huh, you should buy me snow tires she said. She's never complained since about having tires in the laundry room.
Thanks, looks like I will stay away from the nittos and buy the mich.

I will keep my winter wheel set as well, and see how next year looks. This year was a "bust" snow-wise in nyc, complete overkill with snow tires! They made the car undriveable from an enjoyment standpoint.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Trust me, I did that with the WRX, lol. I just think this car does not need to be so snow friendly so to speak , one just needs to be mindful of the weather at hand and drive accordingly . I'm not saying run a summertime in the winter but rather and all seasons high-performance in the winter and a summertime in the summer.
Probably the best winter performing all season is the Conti DWS (or whatever they are calling their newest version of this), but they are not made in our OEM size (unless this has changed recently [dunno]), and I for one would NOT want to drive on them year in the summer, even though many do. ;)

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Probably the best winter performing all season is the Conti DWS (or whatever they are calling their newest version of this), but they are not made in our OEM size (unless this has changed recently [dunno]), and I for one would NOT want to drive on them year in the summer, even though many do. ;)
What was your opinion of the Michelin a/s 3+ in the summer?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What was your opinion of the Michelin a/s 3+ in the summer?
I am still on the factory supplied Pilot Sport AS/3s (NOT the pluses) on the factory wheels, and I am very impressed with their summer handling/traction for such a 'sipey' (tready/heavily cut tread pattern) tire.

Would I give up the traction/ultimate stick of my summer setup, Federal RSRRs (or any other 200 tread wear, or less, gumballs) for the Michelins, for warm weather use?
NO! But they do much better in the dry (and even in VERY light/shallow snow/slush) than most on here give them credit for.

IF I were looking for an all season with the best dry/wet warm weather (and possibly DRY cold weather) handling/traction, it would have to be the Neo Gens, which will probably go on the factory wheels in a 215/40-17 once the AS/3s are toast (I have a separate great winter/rally worker setup already, as well as the summer setup of RSRRs on 17x8 TD 1.2s).

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Iā€™ve owned 2 sets of NeoGens. Theyā€™re better than youā€™d think in snow, when theyā€™re new. Not good in snow at all under half-life. Theyā€™re better in the rain than the Potenzas, as well. Theyā€™re surprising grippy for what they are, and a great cheap option. My only complaint would be- soft sidewalls.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I am still on the factory supplied Pilot Sport AS/3s (NOT the pluses) on the factory wheels, and I am very impressed with their summer handling/traction for such a 'sipey' (tready/heavily cut tread pattern) tire.

Would I give up the traction/ultimate stick of my summer setup, Federal RSRRs (or any other 200 tread wear, or less, gumballs) for the Michelins, for warm weather use?
NO! But they do much better in the dry (and even in VERY light/shallow snow/slush) than most on here give them credit for.

IF I were looking for an all season with the best dry/wet warm weather (and possibly DRY cold weather) handling/traction, it would have to be the Neo Gens...
Thanks for the feedback!
Interesting. I think the plus version is improved for winter weather (which means they might give up some performance in warmer weather) at least that's what has been reported.

Iā€™ve owned 2 sets of NeoGens. Theyā€™re better than youā€™d think in snow, when theyā€™re new. Not good in snow at all under half-life. Theyā€™re better in the rain than the Potenzas, as well. Theyā€™re surprising grippy for what they are, and a great cheap option. My only complaint would be- soft sidewalls.
Thank you for your insight! This is quite helpful, especially the last part... as I HATE soft sidewalls!
That would lead me even more to the Michelins , as I heard they have a pretty substantial sidewall, but I could be wrong

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thank you for your insight! This is quite helpful, especially the last part... as I HATE soft sidewalls!
That would lead me even more to the Michelins , as I heard they have a pretty substantial sidewall, but I could be wrong
Mind you, Iā€™m comparing the sidewalls with the Potenzas here. My 2016 handled tighter than my 2017 due to the differences of OE suspension. For instance, my 2016 had almost no body roll, but after going from Potenza to NeoGen- it felt like it had body roll.

If it were me- Iā€™d take the A/S 3 over the NeoGen. But theyā€™re not even in the same class, money wise. NeoGen for the money is hard to beat, though.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
Mind you, Iā€™m comparing the sidewalls with the Potenzas here. My 2016 handled tighter than my 2017 due to the differences of OE suspension. For instance, my 2016 had almost no body roll, but after going from Potenza to NeoGen- it felt like it had body roll.

If it were me- Iā€™d take the A/S 3 over the NeoGen. But theyā€™re not even in the same class, money wise. NeoGen for the money is hard to beat, though.
I don't mind spending the extra bucks for the Michelin.

I'm trying to find one used oe Potenza first. Three are good, one has a bubble. But, my timing is off can't find anything, so will probably buy the Michelins.

dmb

I have the 3+'s here in so. cal, greasy as hell in 90 degree going to work. all they do is spin. red light at the bottom of the bridge or hill? the prius will leave you in the dust, i was lucky to get 8k out of them. but in the rain they are almost the same as dry. IMO don't waste your money on these your be sorry. and i'm a Michelin guy.

OP
FiSTerMr

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I have the 3+'s here in so. cal, greasy as hell in 90 degree going to work. all they do is spin. red light at the bottom of the bridge or hill? the prius will leave you in the dust, i was lucky to get 8k out of them. but in the rain they are almost the same as dry. IMO don't waste your money on these your be sorry. and i'm a Michelin guy.
NYC area doesnt get much 90+, but nonetheless not good to hear. Weighing all options. Ideally, I would love a true summer.

Thanks for the feedback.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If I lived there, or any not on a mountaintop southwestern area, I would not be going with any all season in the first place, at all. ;)