Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Thread: Do I need new front rotors?
1 Likes

New Member 14 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need new front rotors?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Do you think I need new front rotors. I put new pads on before my first track day. This is what they looked like when I got home. I bought OEM pads and from the beginning they didn't feel like they had the same bite as before. But they still stop the car like before. But now there is a weird vibration and sound when I brake lightly.

Name:  IMG_0506_zpsnnhmxkif.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  88.4 KB

New Member 11 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

always good to turn them. if you can pull them off, most places will only charge like 10 bucks to turn them. you should be good then. remember to set your pads if they are ceramic.

Senior Member 1309 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points Earned First 5000 Posts and 500 Rep Points
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Slotted and/or drilled rotors cannot be turned (unless they came up with some new tech recently which allows this?).
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

New Member 11 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals

State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive turned mine, asked the company that made them, they said they were good to do that. turned out perfect. maybe not the multipiece ones... just my experience.

Senior Member 1176 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Get a Micrometer....measure the rotor..Find the discard spec from the Vendor and go from there.
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And at very least use brake clean and sand or scothbrite disc surfaces to get old pad material off.

Administrator Staff Team 1469 Rep Points Fiesta ST of the Month Winner D1JL's Avatar

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points Earned First 2000 Posts and 400 Rep Points Earned First 5000 Posts and 500 Rep Points
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am not trying to contradict anyone here or to say who is right or wrong.

For years I professionally did brake jobs and turned rotors every time unless replaced.
    This included, drilled, slotted, or any combination there of and never had any issues at all.

Now that I have gotten cheap in my old age I have stopped turning rotors on my own cars at all.
    I still replace them when they are too thin or warped but all I do now is just put new pads on.
    Again, I know what all the experts say.

Being gentle with the brake in, I have not had any problems.

Once again, I am not saying who is right or wrong, I am just saying that I have done it both ways without issues.

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    State
    NC
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really need to measure the rotors to make sure they are within spec.

I never turn rotors...they are cheap enough just to replace with a quality blank.
    2014 Molten Orange
    Pwnall IC, Injen Intake, Boomba Recirculating BPV, Dizzy 93/E30 V2 tune
    Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers, Hotchkis RSB, Sparco Pro Corsa+Indy 500
    Waiting to install: Pumaspeed X37+CPE Tune

Member 58 Rep Points maestromaestro's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need new front rotors?

My view is that if the rotor is “out of spec”, you need to consider changing it. For the OP, it would appear that the pads may not have been bedded properly, so there’s some uneven pad material transfer - which should not be a problem after a while, once the car is stopped from high enough speed.

I am not a fan and generally speaking, neither are the manufacturers, of turning the rotors. These are consumable, and they don’t cost all that much - so need to be discarded if warped or - again - out of spec. That, however, is at times difficult to establish. For instance, my interactions with Wilwood pretty much went nowhere when I asked them if the rotors are OK when the extremely shallow slots are gone. They won’t commit to a thickness, and keep feeding me the same script that I should be the one who determines if the car is “safe to drive”.

So, I replace the rotors annually, along with the pads (in the front). The rear rotors have endured more that 60k miles. The fronts only last for about 22k.

CORRECTION: I only get about 8-9 months or 16k miles from my WW Gt37 rotors/XP8 pads combo.
    Last edited by maestromaestro; 03-14-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    Stage 3 2015: Cobb FMIC + APort&Tuner + Cobb RMM + Ingen CAI + ATP charge pipe + 2JR catless DP + 3" inch Ingen exhaust/custom 3" flange for DP + Mishimoto Radiator + Mishimoto Oil Cooler : Sympozer delete : Boomba shifter bushings/short throw adapter : Wilwood Big/Brake Kits on all 4 corners and Timken rear hubs : Willwood Spec 37 slotted rotors; 4x100 bolting pattern conversion : Boomba Brake Cooling Deflectors : BC-2 Coilovers and Springs - 1" lower : TB Performance brace, crossmemeber and rear traction bar : NoPistons dead pedal : Euro smoked LED tailights : Strobe 3rd brake light :Rally Mud Flaps : Sanded front grille honeycomb : Auxbeam® 7" fog lights : Piercemotorsports front tow hook : SYNC 3 conversion with Android Auto/Apple Car Play : Rear view backup camera : Speed Dawg shift knob : JL Audio JX400/4D 4-channel amplifier : KICKER 11HS8 8" 150W Subwoofer : AudioControl LC2i 2 : Infinity 6-1/2 Inch Coaxial Speakers : Polk Audio Speakers : Schroth Rallye 4 ASM harness +...

Senior Member 428 Rep Points

Member #
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    If the rotors are warped or unevenly worn, you can machine them, but you also need to find out why they did that.

Previous car had no ABS and would routinely warp rotors. So I literally kept two pair and would swap them out between pad changes. One of the set was an expensive rotor and resisted warping for much longer periods. The reason they warped, was due to the caliper slide mounts locking up.

Every place asked about the issue was saying "replace the calipers". But everything aftermarket for the vehicle was complete junk; had learned my lesson several times over not to replace anything OEM unless it was truly bad or failed. (still had OEM calipers when sold at over 327k)

Came up with the solution of honing out the caliper slide-mounts and never had a warping problem since. See "Chronic Rotor Warping" here... https://www.feoa.net/threads/common-...0/#post-614718

ABS or not, it is important to keep them smooth, due to the enhanced propensity for wheel lock-up during heavy braking on wet or icy surfaces. Lock with ABS just means *much* longer stopping distances. When ABS kicks in on some vehicles, the sudden loss of braking force can be startling.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST Kona Blue ; Engine, Suspension will remain untouched ; Southwest Ohio ; Winter: 215/45R17 Continental ; Seasonal: 205/40R17 Bridgestone