Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Does this look like collision damage?

Impact Damage?

• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
All it takes is an email address. Gets deleted just make another one.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I believe IP address can also be banned. I was an admin for another forum back in the day

Edit: looks like everything got cleaned up.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I’d rather have a rim bend than crack. Here’s a Rota Reece on a FiST that cracked on the inside. Wheels that can crumble are more dangerous than ones that bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I’d rather have a rim bend than crack. Here’s a Rota Reece on a FiST that cracked on the inside. Wheels that can crumble are more dangerous than ones that bend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EXACTLY!

Cheap wheels crack/explode, good wheels bend.

SrsBsns

Can't tell for sure, but the wheels look like OZ Ultraleggeras. If so, I ran these wheels on my E36 M3 for... 9 years. I drove with them daily and had no problems at all. Great wheels.

OP, as the others have said, it looks like it was damaged by hitting something pretty hard.

What's your theory? That the wheel is defective and got bent... how?

OP
M
Thread Starter #27
It’s obviously conjecture on my end by I do not recal having impact that I could link to this extensive of damage. I understand you may have run the wheel for 9 years but processes in manufacturing may have changed. I personally feel that the build quality of these rims is terrible if they have such significant damage from a daily commute. My OEM rims held up to the commute for over a year. I’ve had these less than 3 weeks. The rims just aren’t well made. I’d expect more sidewalk damage if the impact was severe enough to cause this damage on a well made rim. I’m no expert, but I am a customer. These wheels have sorely failed to fulfill anywhere near my expectation as a customer.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
It’s obviously conjecture on my end by I do not recal having impact that I could link to this extensive of damage. I understand you may have run the wheel for 9 years but processes in manufacturing may have changed. I personally feel that the build quality of these rims is terrible if they have such significant damage from a daily commute. My OEM rims held up to the commute for over a year. I’ve had these less than 3 weeks. The rims just aren’t well made. I’d expect more sidewalk damage if the impact was severe enough to cause this damage on a well made rim. I’m no expert, but I am a customer. These wheels have sorely failed to fulfill anywhere near my expectation as a customer.
Its not the wheels. You happened to hit the sweet spot that is least supported (the area between spokes) on the wheel. Its just unfortunate chance.

You're pissed BUT you yourself admitted to hitting a manhole. It didn't feel like a hard hit because the wheel absorbed the impact.

Those wheels are fine. Youre just being retarded about the whole thing. Order a replacement and go about your business.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
The oz ultraleggera wheels are ridiculously expensive, imo. Especially being a cast wheel! I do understand how you feel.

It’s obviously conjecture on my end by I do not recal having impact that I could link to this extensive of damage...My OEM rims held up to the commute for over a year. I’ve had these less than 3 weeks. The rims just aren’t well made.
The OEM Fiesta ST 17in wheel has quite a bit more mass t to it with those thick blade spokes at ~22.5lbs. That OZ Ultralegerras 17in wheel with extremely thin spokes weigh under 16lbs (!). It's possible that it was bent and you didn't feel the impact of it folding. It's also possible that you might have the one defective wheel that got through QA.

Sorry for the bum situation and hopefully Tire Rack well change their mind. You might want to check with your credit card issuer to see if you have any protection for this purchase as well.

SrsBsns

Yeah, process could have changed. I get that.

And just to make sure I understand you...

You hit a pothole and want Tirerack to warranty the wheel. Tirerack is saying that they won't because there is sidewall wear above the bend which indicates that there was an impact which damaged the wheel. You're looking for affirmation that the damage must have been caused by something other than a pothole and therefore should be warrantied?

I'm originally from the Midwest. I know the Chicago roads really well and know that the potholes there are NASTY.

If not being damaged due to the road, under what circumstance would a bent wheel be covered under warranty?

Honestly, you might have better luck reaching out to the city and filing a claim. http://www.columbuscityattorney.org/claims-fileaclaim.aspx

OP
M
Thread Starter #33
Its not the wheels. You happened to hit the sweet spot that is least supported (the area between spokes) on the wheel. Its just unfortunate chance.

You're pissed BUT you yourself admitted to hitting a manhole. It didn't feel like a hard hit because the wheel absorbed the impact.

Those wheels are fine. Youre just being retarded about the whole thing. Order a replacement and go about your business.

Retarded? Surely we don’t need to resort to name calling. I’m just making an observation, as an owner of the product... which you are not, that these wheels are pieces of shit.

Shouldn’t resort to name calling or personal attacks about an opinion on a wheel.

OP
M
Thread Starter #34
The OEM Fiesta ST 17in wheel has quite a bit more mass t to it with those thick blade spokes at ~22.5lbs. That OZ Ultralegerras 17in wheel with extremely thin spokes weigh under 16lbs (!). It's possible that it was bent and you didn't feel the impact of it folding. It's also possible that you might have the one defective wheel that got through QA.

Sorry for the bum situation and hopefully Tire Rack well change their mind. You might want to check with your credit card issuer to see if you have any protection for this purchase as well.
Thank you for the advice! I might do that. I’m probably just going to pony up for the new wheel mount it and see about fixing the old one.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Retarded? Surely we don’t need to resort to name calling. I’m just making an observation, as an owner of the product... which you are not, that these wheels are pieces of shit.

Shouldn’t resort to name calling or personal attacks about an opinion on a wheel.
You're right. I shouldnt namecall.

You know why performance engines tend to run forged pistons vs. cast?

Forged pistons start to bend and go "plastic" when they begin to fail. Cast pistons just crack/shatter at failure.

Your "shitty" wheel bent but did not break. I bet you even drove home on it.

Think about that.

I had OZ ultralegs on my old car with 225 45 17. I managed to bend all 4 more than once and crack 2. I ended up giving them away all twisted up because I didn't want to get them repaired again.

This thread reinforces my fear of running ultralight wheels with low profile tires, that is for sure.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
This thread reinforces my fear of running ultralight wheels with low profile tires, that is for sure.
I wonder how the new flow formed/forged wheels will make out. The dekagrams being 16" should hold up fine, but the 17" hypergrams and 17" Advanti S1 Storm are another story.

I haven't heard anything as of yet.

As a side note, I have seen plenty of bent up Enkei rpf1 wheels on the wrx forums.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
This thread obviously needs to be deleted. For some reason trolls are attached to it like a magnet.
I just can't comprehend how much of a loser someone has to be, to keep making profiles to trash a post on a Fiesta ST site.

OP
M
Thread Starter #40
This thread obviously needs to be deleted. For some reason trolls are attached to it like a magnet.
I just can't comprehend how much of a loser someone has to be, to keep making profiles to trash a post on a Fiesta ST site.

For real. This guy needs to get a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.