Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Turbo Flutter

Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of a bit of turbo noise. Because of this a few months ago I got a turbosmart 50/50 to get a little bit of that sweet flutter.

I ended up getting rid of the turbosmart after about a month and replaced it with the GFB DV+ as the high pitch flutter that the turbosmart it off wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm now craving some more noise again but I don't know what to do as I dont want the high pitch noise the turbosmarts seem to make.

Does anyone know of a way of getting a deeper sounding flutter noise? such as the noise that the focus ST's make with just an induction kit.

Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the GFB DV+ and a pod filter and I love it. I hear flutter only on light throttle blips (pulling into the driveway, in drive thrus, inching forward at a light, etc), I get all the turbo noises from the open air filter, and I still get the “blowoff” sound from the combination of the two.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Hi everyone,

I'm a big fan of a bit of turbo noise. Because of this a few months ago I got a turbosmart 50/50 to get a little bit of that sweet flutter.

I ended up getting rid of the turbosmart after about a month and replaced it with the GFB DV+ as the high pitch flutter that the turbosmart it off wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm now craving some more noise again but I don't know what to do as I dont want the high pitch noise the turbosmarts seem to make.

Does anyone know of a way of getting a deeper sounding flutter noise? such as the noise that the focus ST's make with just an induction kit.

Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Probably a plumb-back dv and a 2j intake, though you're inviting a loooooooot more noise into the cabin then. We have a tiny turbo so the flutter is going to be higher pitched than a larger turbo. My grand national had a biiiig turbo and dropping throttle in that thing made absurd amounts of flutter.

I want my turbo noises and flutter, after I receive my 2j intake I might go from my turosmart em vr2 50/50 to the plumb-back. The turbosmart is chirpy because it is *fast*.

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
I had a feeling it would be something to do with the size of the turbo, but as far as i was aware the focus's isn't too much bigger.

I think i'll probably try a plumb back then and see how that goes. I'd love the 2j but i don't know if its over here in the UK?

Currently i'm running an ITG and that lets of a lovely flutter at low revs but not when its on boost.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So flutter comes from the wastegate, you'll hear this after coming off even very light throttle at low speeds but the main turbo "BOV" "pssst" comes from the BOV/DV, two separate noises from two separate sides of the turbo... I know that after upgrading to a TS EM VR2 plumb back, even the mild "pssst" I would get with stock DV and a drop in filter went away... As far as wanting more sound, you might have to go with a different type of BOV, like one that mounts on the Symposer spot instead.

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
So flutter comes from the wastegate, you'll hear this after coming off even very light throttle at low speeds but the main turbo "BOV" "pssst" comes from the BOV/DV, two separate noises from two separate sides of the turbo... I know that after upgrading to a TS EM VR2 plumb back, even the mild "pssst" I would get with stock DV and a drop in filter went away... As far as wanting more sound, you might have to go with a different type of BOV, like one that mounts on the Symposer spot instead.
I wasn't aware that you could get a blow off / resirc valve that mounted to the symposer spot?

Also do you have any videos of you TS EM VR2 plumb back? That's the valve I've been looking at getting but cant seem to find any videos of it.

Thanks!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I wasn't aware that you could get a blow off / resirc valve that mounted to the symposer spot?

Also do you have any videos of you TS EM VR2 plumb back? That's the valve I've been looking at getting but cant seem to find any videos of it.

Thanks!
Here is one example at Whoosh! https://whooshmotorsports.com/colle...2017-s-port-blow-off-valve-kit-no-tune-needed
And there are others there too... I don't have any video's because the plumb back is honestly quieter than stock, there is almost no sound to speak of...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I've posted this before, but its my FiST with injen intake and the turbosmart vr2 50/50, it flutters at part throttle but because we vent/recirc boost you'll only hear flutter when it's below a certain threshold I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7h7tjNTc4

I know some people (I've seen it in some REALLY STUPID FiST videos from the UK) defeat their recirc valve to make it sound like a rally car but that is not a good idea.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've posted this before, but its my FiST with injen intake and the turbosmart vr2 50/50, it flutters at part throttle but because we vent/recirc boost you'll only hear flutter when it's below a certain threshold I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7h7tjNTc4

I know some people (I've seen it in some REALLY STUPID FiST videos from the UK) defeat their recirc valve to make it sound like a rally car but that is not a good idea.
Flutter is compressor surge. It's bad. BOV and BPVs vent the outlet side of the turbo to reduce surge when you snap off the throttle while under boost to give the charge some place to go. I have a GFB DV+ and I notice just a little flutter when I go off throttle with just a tad of boost; I think that the stiffer spring in the DV+ prevents the value from opening in very low surge scenarios, causing just a little flutter.

So, for the record, modern turbo-charged cars don't whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop, they phhhhhhhssSST. If you car starts to whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop you've got a bad BOV or BPV. And, like, [MENTION=8822]Clit_Beastwood[/MENTION] said, you can, stupidly, disable the BPV and get lots of whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop at the expense of a very sad turbo.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So, for the record, modern turbo-charged cars don't whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop, they phhhhhhhssSST. If you car starts to whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop you've got a bad BOV or BPV. And, like, [MENTION=8822]Clit_Beastwood[/MENTION] said, you can, stupidly, disable the BPV and get lots of whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop at the expense of a very sad turbo.
Yeah that kind of behavior is for rental cars only ;P

I just installed a DV+ GFB and the turbo flutter is very noticeable, isn’t this fluttering bad for the turbo? I’m not going for turbo noises, I just wanted better throttle response and boost control hence the DV+. But now I’m concerned it might be causing damage to my turbo. Can anyone illuminate and educate on this?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Flutter comes from a delayed or malfunctioning bov/bpv when letting off the throttle during boost.

I had a GFB bpv that I could adjust the spring for, if I reduced spring pressure it would be more responsive and vent boost very quickly (little to no compressor surge) if I tightened the spring it was slower to vent boost off throttle and I would get more turbo flutter. For daily driving I wanted a more responsive bpv (less turbo flutter) because the car would act weird when on/off throttle in traffic.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I just installed a DV+ GFB and the turbo flutter is very noticeable, isn’t this fluttering bad for the turbo? I’m not going for turbo noises, I just wanted better throttle response and boost control hence the DV+. But now I’m concerned it might be causing damage to my turbo. Can anyone illuminate and educate on this?
Check the top of the DV there might be a hex screw you can turn to increase or decrease response. I would only consider decreasing response if I was racing where I want to stay in boost longer in between shifts and applying throttle.