Welcome to Fiesta ST Forum, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Register

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fiesta ST Turbo Flutter
0 Likes

  1. #1
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    10637
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Reading
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    1


    Fiesta ST Turbo Flutter

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi everyone,

    I'm a big fan of a bit of turbo noise. Because of this a few months ago I got a turbosmart 50/50 to get a little bit of that sweet flutter.

    I ended up getting rid of the turbosmart after about a month and replaced it with the GFB DV+ as the high pitch flutter that the turbosmart it off wasn't what I was looking for.

    I'm now craving some more noise again but I don't know what to do as I dont want the high pitch noise the turbosmarts seem to make.

    Does anyone know of a way of getting a deeper sounding flutter noise? such as the noise that the focus ST's make with just an induction kit.

    Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member 24 Rep Points erdna14's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    3640
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    St. Ann
    State
    MO
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    24


    I have the GFB DV+ and a pod filter and I love it. I hear flutter only on light throttle blips (pulling into the driveway, in drive thrus, inching forward at a light, etc), I get all the turbo noises from the open air filter, and I still get the “blowoff” sound from the combination of the two.

  3. #3
    Member 310 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    8822
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    310


    Quote Originally Posted by jake_shaw99 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I'm a big fan of a bit of turbo noise. Because of this a few months ago I got a turbosmart 50/50 to get a little bit of that sweet flutter.

    I ended up getting rid of the turbosmart after about a month and replaced it with the GFB DV+ as the high pitch flutter that the turbosmart it off wasn't what I was looking for.

    I'm now craving some more noise again but I don't know what to do as I dont want the high pitch noise the turbosmarts seem to make.

    Does anyone know of a way of getting a deeper sounding flutter noise? such as the noise that the focus ST's make with just an induction kit.

    Any help / thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!
    Probably a plumb-back dv and a 2j intake, though you're inviting a loooooooot more noise into the cabin then. We have a tiny turbo so the flutter is going to be higher pitched than a larger turbo. My grand national had a biiiig turbo and dropping throttle in that thing made absurd amounts of flutter.

    I want my turbo noises and flutter, after I receive my 2j intake I might go from my turosmart em vr2 50/50 to the plumb-back. The turbosmart is chirpy because it is *fast*.

  4. #4
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    10637
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Reading
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    1


    I had a feeling it would be something to do with the size of the turbo, but as far as i was aware the focus's isn't too much bigger.

    I think i'll probably try a plumb back then and see how that goes. I'd love the 2j but i don't know if its over here in the UK?

    Currently i'm running an ITG and that lets of a lovely flutter at low revs but not when its on boost.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 398 Rep Points danbfree's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    9500
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tigard
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,120
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    398


    So flutter comes from the wastegate, you'll hear this after coming off even very light throttle at low speeds but the main turbo "BOV" "pssst" comes from the BOV/DV, two separate noises from two separate sides of the turbo... I know that after upgrading to a TS EM VR2 plumb back, even the mild "pssst" I would get with stock DV and a drop in filter went away... As far as wanting more sound, you might have to go with a different type of BOV, like one that mounts on the Symposer spot instead.
    '17 Magnetic - black wheels/red calipers - New Feb, '18.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30/93 with Cobb TC at 3.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/shroud cut, upgraded crossover and turbo inlet, symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 electric recirc DV, 18" glasspack muffler swap with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder plugs.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine upper side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, upholstered leather padded arm rest.
    Lighting: Techmax proper reflector LED low beams, DeAutoLED bright white reverse and trunk LED's
    Next Steps: Intercooler, induction hose, tint, Eibach springs, hybrid, seats

  6. #6
    New Member
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    10637
    Medals
     
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Reading
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
    So flutter comes from the wastegate, you'll hear this after coming off even very light throttle at low speeds but the main turbo "BOV" "pssst" comes from the BOV/DV, two separate noises from two separate sides of the turbo... I know that after upgrading to a TS EM VR2 plumb back, even the mild "pssst" I would get with stock DV and a drop in filter went away... As far as wanting more sound, you might have to go with a different type of BOV, like one that mounts on the Symposer spot instead.
    I wasn't aware that you could get a blow off / resirc valve that mounted to the symposer spot?

    Also do you have any videos of you TS EM VR2 plumb back? That's the valve I've been looking at getting but cant seem to find any videos of it.

    Thanks!

  7. #7
    Senior Member 398 Rep Points danbfree's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    9500
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 1000 Posts Earned First 2000 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points Earned First 1500 Posts and 300 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Tigard
    State
    OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,120
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    398


    Quote Originally Posted by jake_shaw99 View Post
    I wasn't aware that you could get a blow off / resirc valve that mounted to the symposer spot?

    Also do you have any videos of you TS EM VR2 plumb back? That's the valve I've been looking at getting but cant seem to find any videos of it.

    Thanks!
    Here is one example at Whoosh! https://whooshmotorsports.com/collec...no-tune-needed
    And there are others there too... I don't have any video's because the plumb back is honestly quieter than stock, there is almost no sound to speak of...
    '17 Magnetic - black wheels/red calipers - New Feb, '18.
    Tunes: Dizzy V2 e30/93 with Cobb TC at 3.
    Performance: Drop-in filter w/shroud cut, upgraded crossover and turbo inlet, symposer delete and hotside J pipe, TurboSmart VR2 electric recirc DV, 18" glasspack muffler swap with 9" resonated DC Sports black tip, step colder plugs.
    Mounts/bracing: Torque Solutions 75a RMM, Powerflex Street engine upper side mount inserts, TB Performance Traction Bar
    Interior: Mojo Mfg short shift plate, Savanini ball shift knob, upholstered leather padded arm rest.
    Lighting: Techmax proper reflector LED low beams, DeAutoLED bright white reverse and trunk LED's
    Next Steps: Intercooler, induction hose, tint, Eibach springs, hybrid, seats

  8. #8
    Member 310 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    8822
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    310


    I've posted this before, but its my FiST with injen intake and the turbosmart vr2 50/50, it flutters at part throttle but because we vent/recirc boost you'll only hear flutter when it's below a certain threshold I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7h7tjNTc4

    I know some people (I've seen it in some REALLY STUPID FiST videos from the UK) defeat their recirc valve to make it sound like a rally car but that is not a good idea.

  9. #9
    Member 131 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

    Member #
    4740
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    508
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    131


    Quote Originally Posted by Clit_Beastwood View Post
    I've posted this before, but its my FiST with injen intake and the turbosmart vr2 50/50, it flutters at part throttle but because we vent/recirc boost you'll only hear flutter when it's below a certain threshold I believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7h7tjNTc4

    I know some people (I've seen it in some REALLY STUPID FiST videos from the UK) defeat their recirc valve to make it sound like a rally car but that is not a good idea.
    Flutter is compressor surge. It's bad. BOV and BPVs vent the outlet side of the turbo to reduce surge when you snap off the throttle while under boost to give the charge some place to go. I have a GFB DV+ and I notice just a little flutter when I go off throttle with just a tad of boost; I think that the stiffer spring in the DV+ prevents the value from opening in very low surge scenarios, causing just a little flutter.

    So, for the record, modern turbo-charged cars don't whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop, they phhhhhhhssSST. If you car starts to whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop you've got a bad BOV or BPV. And, like, @Clit_Beastwood said, you can, stupidly, disable the BPV and get lots of whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop at the expense of a very sad turbo.

  10. #10
    Member 310 Rep Points Clit_Beastwood's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

    Member #
    8822
    Medals
    Earned First 100 Posts Earned First 500 Posts Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 50 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points Earned First 200 Rep Points
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Laguna beach
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    678
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likes Received
    310


    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreylyon View Post
    So, for the record, modern turbo-charged cars don't whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop, they phhhhhhhssSST. If you car starts to whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop you've got a bad BOV or BPV. And, like, @Clit_Beastwood said, you can, stupidly, disable the BPV and get lots of whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop at the expense of a very sad turbo.
    Yeah that kind of behavior is for rental cars only ;P

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Stock diverter valve + GFB DV+ spring = flutter
    By Spaceman_Spiff in forum EcoBoost Engine Upgrades
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 10:03 PM
  2. Turbo flutter out of the blue
    By Volumetrik in forum Maintenance, Warranty Issues & Troubleshooting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-16-2018, 02:49 PM
  3. Flutter noise under light driving conditions
    By wraith in forum Maintenance, Warranty Issues & Troubleshooting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM
  4. Turbosmartusa plum back and flutter.
    By lemons6245 in forum EcoBoost Engine Upgrades
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-27-2016, 03:36 AM
  5. Flutter sound...normal??
    By SuperchargedTundra in forum EcoBoost Engine Upgrades
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •