Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Oh the joys of ca smog

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Got pulled over today for a roadside “compliance check”, justification being that he heard my blowoff valve. He said my exhaust is fine since I left everything pre-cat alone and he liked the sound and it’s really quiet for no muffler. He looked for other mods and started to take issue with the hose left dangling from the symposer delete. I showed him that it ran to the passenger compartment, explained what the symposer is and that it makes the car sound like cruisin’ USA and he agreed it’s unlikely an emissions component runs into the passenger compartment. I was let go after being told that it’s very unlikely an Injen intake came with a CARB sticker and that I should sell it out-of-state. It was an overall positive experience, I asked questions about his bike and so on, but it’s very annoying how many extremely modified cars are around but yet another officer pulls me over for my mostly-stock FiST. It’s frustrating how aggressive they’re getting about car modifications in CA. I never get pulled over in some of my higher value vehicles, just the freaking FiST - probably because everyone thinks the driver is going to be a kid.

slopoke

This is a big reason why I did a DIY recirc system with my Garrett turbo.

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
This is a big reason why I did a DIY recirc system with my Garrett turbo.
It’s just annoying - I medically can’t ride motorcycles anymore so I bought a small fun car to hoon around as my daily. The fun noises and crackles are what make being stuck in a cage bearable. They’ve stepped up enforcement hard lately. I preordered a 2j intake that I should be getting soon and I don’t know if I’ll even bother installing it. Might just swap to a veloster N or something that at least makes me giggle stock. The FiST is a fine car but it sounds like a Dustbuster stock. I have fast toys, I just wanted something silly and fun.

Backstory - I get pulled over every few weeks for this shit, I’m just nearing the end of my patience.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
What city and/or street?

You know, to stay away...

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
What city and/or street?

You know, to stay away...

All of irvine, and closer to the beach in laguna.

Just annoying. I’m a nazi about catalytic converters and pollution on all my vehicles but a freaking intake on my daily is what keeps getting me pulled over. I could go back to stock exhaust, that wouldn’t bug me much, but I like the intake sounds.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The N is not a bad idea. I'm sure they will still pull you over when your exhaust is crackling and popping but that's factory.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Its because you are Irvine and also behind the Orange Curtain. Never get hassled in LA county or LA. Lol seriouly no joke Irvine has it out for modified cars period. There was a whole thing about it on the news . You could not have picked a worse place to live for that kind of stuff. Even San Gabriel Valley ground zero for the modified car world is not as bad.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Some of the VERY worst places for being harassed is anywhere LA County Sheriff patrols.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got pulled over today for a roadside “compliance check”, justification being that he heard my blowoff valve. He said my exhaust is fine since I left everything pre-cat alone and he liked the sound and it’s really quiet for no muffler. He looked for other mods and started to take issue with the hose left dangling from the symposer delete. I showed him that it ran to the passenger compartment, explained what the symposer is and that it makes the car sound like cruisin’ USA and he agreed it’s unlikely an emissions component runs into the passenger compartment. I was let go after being told that it’s very unlikely an Injen intake came with a CARB sticker and that I should sell it out-of-state. It was an overall positive experience, I asked questions about his bike and so on, but it’s very annoying how many extremely modified cars are around but yet another officer pulls me over for my mostly-stock FiST. It’s frustrating how aggressive they’re getting about car modifications in CA. I never get pulled over in some of my higher value vehicles, just the freaking FiST - probably because everyone thinks the driver is going to be a kid.
They presume that you're not a man of means.

If they see that you are, they'll leave you alone. You're not the target.

If they see that you are not, they will pile on the misery. ACAB

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club

If they see that you are not, they will pile on the misery.
Are you suggesting Fiestas are for poors?

I deal with that crap on the daily. None of the guys at work believe me when i tell them i drive a Ford Fiesta and not some mangly truck.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
That's why North Carolina is great and I live out in the country I can do whatever I want basically. I would never live in a HOA ever.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It’s just annoying - I medically can’t ride motorcycles anymore so I bought a small fun car to hoon around as my daily. The fun noises and crackles are what make being stuck in a cage bearable. They’ve stepped up enforcement hard lately. I preordered a 2j intake that I should be getting soon and I don’t know if I’ll even bother installing it. Might just swap to a veloster N or something that at least makes me giggle stock. The FiST is a fine car but it sounds like a Dustbuster stock. I have fast toys, I just wanted something silly and fun.

Backstory - I get pulled over every few weeks for this shit, I’m just nearing the end of my patience.
Got cited for no front plate three times in a single year. Like roughly 3 out of ten vehicles here, I don't have one... and still don't. Fugg'em. It's what's known as "selective enforcement". College campus security guard murdered someone... oh, sorry... "killed"... oh sorry, "defended himself" because he drove off after being told he was being stopped for not having a front plate.

If they see that you are not, they will pile on the misery. ACAB
Bingo. There's a local highway exit where you'd regularly see a cop hiding under the overpass behind a pillar... the proverbial bridge troll. One day the city started seriously discussing shutting down their entrance/exit ramp. I noticed around that very same time, they disappeared from that bridge; never to be seen again after regularly seeing them there for at least several years. Fast forward a few years later and the dept was busted up over some criminal behavior. What I really suspect happened is, they pulled over the "wrong" person... someone with means, influence.